Constrution Depth - Oct 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

consteng

Reaction score
Please post your comments on why you think you passed the PE Civil-Construction and why you think you failed. We can help future PE takers prepare better. Any comment is appreciated. Good luck to those who are still waiting for the results.

I am in Texas, and I failed with a 68 taking the Construction PM.

I have to say that the Testmasters class I attended prepared me poorly for Construction. The questions that we were told we'd see in the afternoon, and the study books we were told to use for practice problem purposes turned out to be almost entirely useless.

I need to know how to get good study materials from people who passed.

Out of my group of friends that did Testmasters, 3 out of 5 of us failed.

I have to say that the Testmasters class I attended prepared me poorly for Construction. The questions that we were told we'd see in the afternoon, and the study books we were told to use for practice problem purposes turned out to be almost entirely useless.

I took Construction too and am still waiting for my result. The problem with construction is there are not that many reference materials available out there yet. NCEES has just came out with a full 40 sample problems and solutions for construction, that I wished came out before the Oct 2010 test, and not soon after.

Let us hear from other folks...

I need help too on what materials to get for the Construction Module and how to prepare. I took Geo and was definitely my weakest field based on my diagnostics. I'm shifting to CM. thanks.

I passed the Construction. Knowing your economics is key. Understanding depreciation and interest. Also, having the right reference books. I had my OSHA book, which made several of the questions really easy. I didn't have the ACI book, so I missed another really easy question. Understanding CPM schedules was important, there were at least 4 questions on these. And understanding basic structure design was helpful. I struggled on the SOE portion of the test, and it seemed like there were a lot of these questions. To me, the hardest part of the exam was the morning session, all those environmental and transportation questions. Thank god for the Civil Handbook.

I passed the Construction. Knowing your economics is key. Understanding depreciation and interest. Also, having the right reference books. I had my OSHA book, which made several of the questions really easy. I didn't have the ACI book, so I missed another really easy question. Understanding CPM schedules was important, there were at least 4 questions on these. And understanding basic structure design was helpful. I struggled on the SOE portion of the test, and it seemed like there were a lot of these questions. To me, the hardest part of the exam was the morning session, all those environmental and transportation questions. Thank god for the Civil Handbook.

Congrats. So it will really help to have the recommended references. What is SOE and which Civil handbook specifically? Thanks.

I took Construction too and am still waiting for my result. The problem with construction is there are not that many reference materials available out there yet. NCEES has just came out with a full 40 sample problems and solutions for construction, that I wished came out before the Oct 2010 test, and not soon after.

I took the construction PM in FL. I scored 50/80 and failed I dis bad in water resources and "other topics" all other I scored in 75 to 80 percentile.

I took the construction PM in FL. I scored 50/80 and failed I dis bad in water resources and "other topics" all other I scored in 75 to 80 percentile.
If your score was 50/80, what percentage did you get?

I passed Civil- Construction in CT. I tok the School of PE course and I totally recommend it. It was excellent for the morning portion of the exam, especially. Afternoon section is a little different, so you will have to prepare beyond the courses' scope. Know estimating! By that I mean, practice, practice, practice. Estimating in theroy is very straight forward, but the question I saw on the exam were definitely the most time consuming (and arguably he hardest).

SOE is support of excavation. Soil Pressures and loads on coffercells and retaining walls for working in trenches. the Civil Handbook is a really thick book they made me buy in college that has every civil topic known to man in it. That plus the PE study guide and the black steel book got me through the morning.

I don't remember the estimating question. There were a few gimme's - calculating areas of forms and a couple rebar takeoffs.

@Trussnorris:

I see. Thank you. I really need materials suggestions for Construction...

Passed Civil- Construction 1st try

CERM & practice problems (primary reference)

Full printout of OSHA CFR (primary reference)

ACI 318 (primary ref)

NCEES practice problem book

ASD- WSD

Handbook of Rigging - Rossnagel

Properties of concrete- Neville

ASCE 7-05

Construction Module Guide - Rajapakse (pretty much useless during test w/o any index provided and poor layout, but read commentary ahead of time)

Did not bring, but could have used a good surveying & roadway curve reference book & basic hydraulics references

Know estimating quantities, cut/fill problems, soil properties, and timeline information 100% and will do fine; the practice prblems are MUCH more difficult than the actual test. I studied about 20-30 hrs for the test... but thats how I normally studied thru college

Last edited by a moderator:

ACI 318 (primary ref)

ASD- WSD

ASCE 7-05

Construction Module Guide - Rajapakse (pretty much useless during test w/o any index provided and poor layout, but read commentary ahead of time)

Did not bring, but could have used a good surveying & roadway curve reference book & basic hydraulics references

Know estimating quantities, cut/fill problems, soil properties, and timeline information 100% and will do fine; the practice prblems are MUCH more difficult than the actual test. I studied about 20-30 hrs for the test... but thats how I normally studied thru college

This is excellent advice. I used the exact same references to pass Construction in April '09 on the first try. I did not have 318 though and there were some real gimme problems if you had that. It seems that NCEES loves to hit up the OSHA manual year after year.

I took construction afternoon and passed in IL, I agree OSHA book very important, practice problems very important, however there is not much material available. I also took the review course offered by the Illinois Institute of Technology but felt I would have done about the same on construction PM module even without the review.

ACI 318 (primary ref)

ASD- WSD

ASCE 7-05

This is excellent advice. I used the exact same references to pass Construction in April '09 on the first try. I did not have 318 though and there were some real gimme problems if you had that. It seems that NCEES loves to hit up the OSHA manual year after year.

MUTCD MUTCD MUTCD

The OSHA questions were very tricky. very tricky. very very tricky.

I don't remember any soil pressure problems though.

ACI 318 (primary ref)

ASD- WSD

ASCE 7-05

MUTCD MUTCD MUTCD

The OSHA questions were very tricky. very tricky. very very tricky.

I don't remember any soil pressure problems though.
I just can't believe I took a whole PE exam with no moment distribution or traditional rigid truss questions.

Congrats! I also took construction last Oct. and failed. Cost estimating and construction operations were my weakest areas. Who authored your Civil Handbook? Are you selling it? Let me know. Thanks

It was by W.F. Chen. I think there's a new version out now... this is the version I have http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-Ha...s/dp/0849389534

Its not the easiest book to navigate, but it has all the disciplines and a decent index.

Good Luck!

edited: This book didn't really help on the construction portion. It mostly helped me in the morning on the topics I didn't have much experiece in, which were the environmental and transportation questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the notes for Testmasters in construction were improved better this past time around than the first time I took it in April 2010, I didn't take construction in the afternoon but I can see how you guys that did and took testmasters said that the notes were not good enough. I'm hoping for those that are taking testmasters this time around, that they have more tweaks to them.

My friend told me that SMARTPRO manual is also useful review course.

Back