Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
Dleg

Movie thread

Forced to watch Under the Skin this weekend...

under-the-skin-poster.jpg

Sooooooo... this movie is about a voluptuous woman who goes around Scotland looking for hopeless looking men, brings them back to her place, and does something with them.  I can't explain it, but it's pretty odd.  I'll go ahead and skip the rest of the "plot" and "what it is supposed to be about" according to paid critics.  According to critics on Rotton Tomatoes, this is the best thing ever.  Real people think it's rubbage and I think their score is waaaayyyy too generous.  

This is an artsy flick that moves at a watch-the-grass-grow pace.  It's glacial and, at least in my opinion, the movie goes nowhere.  No characters are explained, reasoning for the story is absent, and everything is left open ended.  The characters are a strange woman doing strange things to strange men and a dude on a motorcycle who keeps track of her (?) for no apparent reason.  Coming from someone who enjoys The Big Lebowski and Clerks, this is a truly stupid movie.  An unfortunate and complete waste of my time.  The only positive, for me, about this movie is the fact that Scarlett Johansson gets naked more than once.  And it's not like "Ooooh!  I see side boob!"  No, this is Cinemax territory.

I feel sorry for those who believe this is a fantastic movie of "holy sh*t" proportions.  Maybe they weren't raised right or they were bullied in high school even by that one kid who ate his lunches in the bathroom stalls.  I shouldn't blame them for their opinion of the movie... but nevertheless, they're wrong.  So so wrong.  I give the movie a half star.  Just one half.  And I rounded up.

Scarlett Johansson, however, will get a few more stars than that.  For me, maybe it's just that she has lost some of that "je ne sais quoi" since Lost in Translation, or maybe it's just the movie that taints her, but I can only give her 3.5 stars in this dumpster fire.  Hulk still smash.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, Master slacker said:

Scarlett Johansson gets naked more than once.

I think you just answered your own question as to why the reviews seemed generous.

Adding that one to my weekend watch list.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Supe said:

Adding that one to my weekend wank list.

Fixt.

• Haha 2

The local theater did a special showing of Beetlejuice for it's 30th anniversary. I brought my kid. 

1. Did my parents take me to this when I was nine?!

2. I feel like, even though I've watched this movie since then, that I have not watched the full thing in a really long time. It was not like "oh, I know this front and back." 

3. I've had The Banana Boat song and Shake, Senora stuck in my head for three days straight. 

• Thanks 2

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice,......(say it you know you want to...say it!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

at some point Hollywood may just be better off re releasing the old movies instead of this junk they have out right now?

can you imagine if they digitally remastered Smokey and the bandit?

You could count the hairs on the Bandit!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Road Guy said:

at some point Hollywood may just be better off re releasing the old movies instead of this junk they have out right now?

can you imagine if they digitally remastered Smokey and the bandit?

there's a blue ray option.

https://www.amazon.com/Smokey-Bandit-Anniversary-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B071WKFT8J

14 hours ago, csb said:

You could count the hairs on the Bandit!

or at least the hairs on his toupee

• Haha 1

We took a little break from movies due to our move, but my son wanted to see "smallfoot" on the basis of its Rotten Tomatoes score.  It was tolerable,  but that's as far as I'll go.

Anyone seen Venom? Seriously rotten reviews from critics,  but I was wondering what you guys thought. 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:29 AM, MA_PE said:

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice,......(say it you know you want to...say it!)

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Saw Antman & Wasp last weekend at the "budget" cinema (didn't know they still had those). It was pretty good and had some pretty funny scenes like the first one. Also tied into the ending of the last Avengers movie too which was pretty d@mn interesting @Dexman PE PMP!

Took my son to see First Man this week.  Very good film,  and surprisingly touching.  Choked up a few times...

Watched the new Rock flick "Skyscraper" over the weekend.  Terrorists take over a high rise and a lowly security guy has to rush in and rescue his family and save the day.  It was awesome, just can't put my finger on why it felt so familiar....

There just isn't much out worth seeing these days, Shit I haven't even seen the new Solo movie on my VCR yet...

Saw A Star is Born over the weekend. The acting was just okay, but the music was quite good. Bradley Cooper was hot, but no surprise there. I did shed some tears at the end.

For the umpteenth time, we watched Silent Hill this weekend.

silent-hill-version2-movie-poster.jpg

Rose is looking for her kid.  Rose, by the way, is pleasing to the eyes.  She's married to the bad guy from National Treasure.  I don't know what she sees in him.  Anyway, this bangin' police officer in tight leather police pants puts cuffs on Rose and talks rough to her.  She ends up shooting an armless demon and takes off some clothes because they were hit with some sort of acid or something.  Whatever.  The Darkness comes and goes and, along with it, apocalyptic-looking demons like Pyramid Head.  The town's transitions between light and darkness are awesome and look like lung disease waiting to happen.  Yada yada yada, good movie every single time I watch it.  4 burning stars for this one.

Radha Mitchell (Rose) gets 4 stars.  Laurie Holden (leather pants po-po) gets 4 stars. 

tumblr_mtyzpz8jWL1szmn7ko1_500.jpg

Nurses... 4 stars on a kink scale...? 

42f25be127d8d293856e5cda2ef90fc1.jpg

Saw Super Troopers 2 while I was traveling for work and needed to kill time in the hotel.  Definitely not worth watching and absent of the "charm" and humor from the first movie.

• Sad 2

I don't think there has been a good comedic sequel since Airplane II

Airplane II is quality!

Just got back from seeing “Bohemian Rhapsody”. Should be required watching for today’s douchebags passing off auto tuned garbage as music. 

I would like to see that one!

~ so my wife and daughter drug me out to see A Star is Born yesterday - I mean what the F was the point of that movie?  After it finished there was a row of people crying next to me and I just said "that is in the top 5 worst movies I have seen"

what was I missing?  I mean it was cool to see Andrew Dice Clay though..

On 11/12/2018 at 10:50 AM, Road Guy said:

...."that is in the top 5 worst movies I have seen"

what was I missing....

I think you were supposed to be too busy swooning over Bradley Cooper to notice. 

At least we didn’t have to see the previous Barbra Striessandddddds version......

22d135da63ace44edf53cb5a416f4d7e.jpg