FAIL!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwlodyka

Reaction score
Wow, I was not expecting that. I was so confident that I passed that test, I actually walked out thinking it was pretty EASY to what I was expecting. Obviously I have a lot of work to do. I feel so embarassed right now as I was in public with tons of friends when I heard results were released and I checked it on a friends phone. I never would've done that thinking I would get the result I did.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but I'll sulk for now and look to keep my head up and get after it again after the New Year. What a damper on vacation tho... all I want to do is go home and open up my Power Systems book again. To anyone else feeling my pain, keep your head up and stay strong. Take some time to breathe and get after it again for April.

To all others, congrats on your achievement!

-Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the right attitude sir.. Don't give up.. Always try your best.. Shoot for 100 and not take anything for granted.. Next time, you'll ace it, guaranteed..

Wow, I was not expecting that. I was so confident that I passed that test, I actually walked out thinking it was pretty EASY to what I was expecting. Obviously I have a lot of work to do. I feel so embarassed right now as I was in public with tons of friends when I heard results were released and I checked it on a friends phone. I never would've done that thinking I would get the result I did.
It's a tough pill to swallow, but I'll sulk for now and look to keep my head up and get after it again after the New Year. What a damper on vacation tho... all I want to do is go home and open up my Power Systems book again. To anyone else feeling my pain, keep your head up and stay strong. Take some time to breathe and get after it again for April.

-Charlie
Kudos to you. It takes courage to admit that. I am positive your time will come in April!

-Charlie
Charlie,

That's too bad. I took the power exam as well and, like you, felt very confident after leaving the exam. I have not yet received the results so we will see. Good luck though. Also, maybe you should consider having the test manually verified (I think there is a fee)? They can make mistakes. If you felt confident that you passed then it may be worth it.

-Charlie
Hope I'm not in the same boat, but if I am I hope to have the same attitude!

-Charlie
Wow, that was inspiring. Good luck, next time!!

I failed the 1st time, I thought I could pass with only 40 hours of "good" studying, that didnt work out so well for me. so next time around I hit it hard, did testmasters, logged about 180+ hours... Its a tough pill, but dont let it sway you to much, go have a stiff drink, and hit the books hard for the 2nd time!

& Dont skip studying stuff that you did well on when you get your diagnostics, those same type questions probably wont be there for round 2, hit those areas just as hard as the other stuff..

Good Luck and hopefully hang around in between the exam and share what you are doing the 2nd time..

-Charlie
Charlie,

That's too bad. I took the power exam as well and, like you, felt very confident after leaving the exam. I have not yet received the results so we will see. Good luck though. Also, maybe you should consider having the test manually verified (I think there is a fee)? They can make mistakes. If you felt confident that you passed then it may be worth it.
I would second this motion and I was actually considering it had I failed it. At least it will give you some peace of mind and if it turns out that they did make a mistake then it's money well spent.

-Charlie

Wow, that sounds so eerily close to what I think I am going to experience. I took PE Electrical-Power Exam. I feel pretty confident as well. But in the back of my mind I am kind of worried. The only difference is I am in California and I haven't gotten my results yet. Oh well, we'll see.

Charlie , just for , take the second time , put more hour with your books , and I am sure you will pass , go Charlie , go , that my best advice .

Remember me , you will pass , email me next time when you pass !!!

Hi!!

I failed as well...Electrical Power. Stay strong...I'm telling myself the same. I dont think I'm going to try again in April though. I think I'm goignt to start studying in Jan and go for it in October. I've never taken a power course and I want to to get very familiar with the fundamentals. What was your study regimen?

-Charlie
Same exact experience for me, although it was just my wife seeing the anguish in me. So disappointing. I felt so confident after taking the Power exam.

Congrats to all who passed. For the rest of us, let's kill this test in April.

Just a friendly FYI, the regrade is not as manual as your posts suggest. THey don't go back through your test by hand...it is basically just a put it through the scan tron machine again sort of thing while charging you an arm and a leg to do it. We have never heard of a case were the regrade has changed the outcome...save your $ for additional study materials or the next test fee.

Good luck with your studies!!!

I'm not trying to rub it in or anything but this thought has crossed my mind several times the last couple of weeks waiting for the exam. I've been wondering #1 how many hours does someone that failed put into studying and #2 how many references does someone that fail bring to the exam. I have it roughly figured out that I put in somewhere near 200-300 hours of studying for the PE and I only took 3 or 4 books for references. I really don't see how anyone with a suitcase full of books can really have the time to find the book they're looking for and then find the information in the book and then answer the question all within 6 minutes. I wonder what the correlation is between passing rate and number of references brought to the exam.

To all those that did fail, put in the hard work again. Anything is achievable if you're willing to work for it.

I'm not trying to rub it in or anything but this thought has crossed my mind several times the last couple of weeks waiting for the exam. I've been wondering #1 how many hours does someone that failed put into studying and #2 how many references does someone that fail bring to the exam. I have it roughly figured out that I put in somewhere near 200-300 hours of studying for the PE and I only took 3 or 4 books for references. I really don't see how anyone with a suitcase full of books can really have the time to find the book they're looking for and then find the information in the book and then answer the question all within 6 minutes. I wonder what the correlation is between passing rate and number of references brought to the exam.
To all those that did fail, put in the hard work again. Anything is achievable if you're willing to work for it.

I don't think there is a direct correlation between references and pass/fail. For example I put 5 hours a day in every day after work and 10 hours a day on weekends religiously for three months prior to taking the Civil PE for the first time this October. I was the guy in the test with 126.5lbs of books in an over-sized suitcase. I passed. Actually I used ALOT of my references. I knew where to go for every question, and the references were so useful in double checking and rechecking answers. I definitely pulled my Geotech, structures, water resources, site design, traffic signal, roadside design, MUTCD, environmental books during the test.

If you haven't studied from it during your prep time, it probably won't help you during crunch time. However I had an hour and a half extra to check anwsers and those extra references are nice for some piece of mind.

Besides isn't comforting to be surrounded by your stuff?

I think there is more of a correlation between the suitcase full of references and the particular test taken than the failure rate. I know I had a suitcase full for the structural exam because you are required to have a concrete code, a masonry code, a steel code, a wood code, IBC, ASCE-7, AASHTO, and a precast code. Throw in the PPI reference manual and a study guide or 2 and you've easily got a suitcase full of books. In contrast, the lady in front of me had (1) 3-ring binder. I don't know which test she took, but I want to take that one next.

-Charlie
Well, I too thought that I had passed, with a good margin. My studying started last night. Never give up!

-Charlie
Well, I too thought that I had passed, with a good margin. My studying started last night. Never give up!
I failed here in Texas, and my plan is to start studying. It's not a fun situation to be in, but it is the reality.

Back