Please tell me how NCEES has an A+ rating with the BBB?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddierizzle

Reaction score
The title says it all. I just want to know how this is possible when they are not doing a good job on being transparent on releasing test results.

I'm sure BBB could care less about our complaints. NCEES didn't steal our money, they gave an 8-10 week time table that hasn't expired.

Yes, the results are coming later than usual. However, we are technically still within the 10-week window. NCEES is still delivering on their posted projection. Anything earlier is a bonus...but come on. We're dying here.

I really don't understand the NCEES bashing. 8 to 10 weeks, people. It's not been 9 weeks yet. If it had been 11, then maybe get anxious. So far they are not late, and are doing exactly as they said they would do.

I'm sure BBB could care less about our complaints. NCEES didn't steal our money, they gave an 8-10 week time table that hasn't expired.
Nothing like setting the bar low and hurdling over it. So if I sold a product all I would have to do is give a 40 week lead time for delivery and I'd get a great BBB rating... then again in most free market sales, the competitor would get the business then... good thing the NCEES doesn't have any competition!

The title says it all. I just want to know how this is possible when they are not doing a good job on being transparent on releasing test results.
That's hilarious. I'm not sure I would want my name on a license issued through an agency that wasn't A+ BBB rated.

I'm sure that everyone who has passed the test no longer is concerned about the wait and those that failed are probably too upset or drunk to comment. The wait is really getting to me though. They said 8-10 weeks but I was hoping they would have given out everyone's PE-ness by now.

There is no question that the waiting sucks...but let's try to think about this logically for just a second.

The NCEES processes the PE exams for all 50 states. Now I figure just for the PE alone there was close to 300 people sitting in at MY site, plus there were other sites in VA as well so conservatively that is over 1000 people easily just for one state. Multiply that times 50 that is 50,000 people and that is just for the PE so we'll multiply that times 4 to account for the FE, PS and FS so that brings the # up to 200,000. Now lets assume they take the maximum amount of time (10 weeks) times 5 that is 50 working days.

So they are averaging about 4000 exams a day for a 10 hour day that is 400 exams an hour...that is a pretty **** good job of handling things efficiently. So the system they have is not perfect but the way it is set up now I figure they are doing about as good as can be expected.

My calculations have not even accounted for reviewing the questions, compiling diagnostics and throwing out the amibiguous questions. All in all as much as it stinks to wait, I really cannot complain all that much.

I really don't understand the NCEES bashing. 8 to 10 weeks, people. It's not been 9 weeks yet. If it had been 11, then maybe get anxious. So far they are not late, and are doing exactly as they said they would do.
i guess so, but the 8-10 week timeline expectation has been blown out of the water by their performance over the last several years. i don't think it's unreasonable to see how quickly results have been delivered over the past few years and assume that is an achievable timeline for them -- especially when they've made a big deal about "streamlining" their process.

i've said it before, but i think falling behind the previous timeline wouldn't be as bad if they were a bit more communicative. how hard would it be to put a few things on their twitter account?

they have a tough job for sure, i just think a lot of the anxiety could be reduced w/ a bit more additional communication.

There is no question that the waiting sucks...but let's try to think about this logically for just a second.
The NCEES processes the PE exams for all 50 states. Now I figure just for the PE alone there was close to 300 people sitting in at MY site, plus there were other sites in VA as well so conservatively that is over 1000 people easily just for one state. Multiply that times 50 that is 50,000 people and that is just for the PE so we'll multiply that times 4 to account for the FE, PS and FS so that brings the # up to 200,000. Now lets assume they take the maximum amount of time (10 weeks) times 5 that is 50 working days.

So they are averaging about 4000 exams a day for a 10 hour day that is 400 exams an hour...that is a pretty **** good job of handling things efficiently. So the system they have is not perfect but the way it is set up now I figure they are doing about as good as can be expected.

My calculations have not even accounted for reviewing the questions, compiling diagnostics and throwing out the amibiguous questions. All in all as much as it stinks to wait, I really cannot complain all that much.
The bottom line is NCEES is still within their projected timeline.

Thats fine and dandy for the old method that utilized a written response. But these are scantrons. If your computer cannot compare an electronically recorded scantron with a known answer bank at more than 400 exams per hour, I would say your computer is much worse than mine. That's not a good thing.

But I agree they are well within their time frame. I am patiently waiting as well with little complaint, but a lot of curiosity on the whole process.

My opinion of the BBB is significantly lower than that of NCEES. At least NCEES does something. All the BBB does is collect money, and give some arbitrary ratings. Want a good rating? Donate money. Simple as that. Want an average or below average rating? Tell the BBB to get bent when they come asking for donations.

As well, BBB is a dog with no teeth. It can't actually do anything. Sure, it can stand on a podium and yell "there be a crook!", but that's all they can do. They have no legal standing. They can't force a business to do anything at all. And many times, by the time a business gets a "bad" rating, the damage has already been done and the business no longer exists anyway.

Thats fine and dandy for the old method that utilized a written response. But these are scantrons. If your computer cannot compare an electronically recorded scantron with a known answer bank at more than 400 exams per hour, I would say your computer is much worse than mine. That's not a good thing.
But I agree they are well within their time frame. I am patiently waiting as well with little complaint, but a lot of curiosity on the whole process.
I'm sure the scantron results are verified by hand just to make sure they are correct.

BTW...the BBB is a scam...they give you an A+ rating if you pay them a fee and become an "accredited member". Otherwise your lucky if you get a C rating from them.

Back