For those who took the FE April 2010 and passed then took the PE October 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think studying for the FE helped you prepare for the PE?

I think that it didn't hurt. The FE was scattered everywhere. I took the general in the morning, and the Electrical in the afternoon. The afternoon covers some of the basics of electrical, but not the practicing aspect of the Power PE Exam. But it did get me back in the action for learning to study again, and to do calc and other things again.

I think that it didn't hurt. The FE was scattered everywhere. I took the general in the morning, and the Electrical in the afternoon. The afternoon covers some of the basics of electrical, but not the practicing aspect of the Power PE Exam. But it did get me back in the action for learning to study again, and to do calc and other things again.
Timewise how much time did you allocate for the FE vs PE?

But it did get me back in the action for learning to study again, and to do calc and other things again.
^^^This.
I took the FE twice. First Time I took general/general(which is a huge mistake.. Don't ever do it!!). The first time I did slack a little, and picked it up hard core the last month. Then I waited a year to take it again. And I started reading through the study books about 3 months before, then the last month and a half, I did a lot of practice problems. And I took general/electrical and passed.

For the PE. I have put in much more effort. After I got my PE application in , and Florida approved me to take it, even though my application was really late. I started studying a few hours a night till about a month and a half out. Then I started doing problems and studying longer hours everyday, I am pretty sure I did all the practice problems in the PPI book, and all of the practice exams from PPI and from NCEES at least twice. And I was still surprised when taking the test.

I have been praying so hard that I pass. I can't imagine trying to put that effort into it again. I like to say, that If i fail something it will never be from lack of effort. Especially since my wife and I are expecting in March.

It helped in terms of getting back into study mode. However, it did little to reduce the amount of study time needed to prepare for the PE. I am Electrical and took the "General" discipline in the afternoon because i thought it would be easier (which I'm pretty sure it was) however this content didn't even come close to what was covered on the PE Exam.

That being said, the PE seemed easier to study for than the FE because the material was all discipline specific.

But it did get me back in the action for learning to study again, and to do calc and other things again.
^^^This.
I took the FE twice. First Time I took general/general(which is a huge mistake.. Don't ever do it!!). The first time I did slack a little, and picked it up hard core the last month. Then I waited a year to take it again. And I started reading through the study books about 3 months before, then the last month and a half, I did a lot of practice problems. And I took general/electrical and passed.

For the PE. I have put in much more effort. After I got my PE application in , and Florida approved me to take it, even though my application was really late. I started studying a few hours a night till about a month and a half out. Then I started doing problems and studying longer hours everyday, I am pretty sure I did all the practice problems in the PPI book, and all of the practice exams from PPI and from NCEES at least twice. And I was still surprised when taking the test.

I have been praying so hard that I pass. I can't imagine trying to put that effort into it again. I like to say, that If i fail something it will never be from lack of effort. Especially since my wife and I are expecting in March.

Likewise I was approved to take the FE exam the same day NCEES deadline for Apr which was Feb 26. Studied at least 6 hours every day for 6 weeks then took the FE (the ironman test) 8 hours of brain grooves digging like running a Triathlon then the waiting agony started then ended on June 2 afternoon with the NCEES e-mail that I passed. The following day I submitted my PE app to the board which was late and while waiting for their approval I was putting at least 4 hours a day for 4 months and here we are again the waiting agony trip!!!!

It helped in terms of getting back into study mode. However, it did little to reduce the amount of study time needed to prepare for the PE. I am Electrical and took the "General" discipline in the afternoon because i thought it would be easier (which I'm pretty sure it was) however this content didn't even come close to what was covered on the PE Exam.
That being said, the PE seemed easier to study for than the FE because the material was all discipline specific.
I took the general/general FE after almost 20 years past my school time. All that math, chemistry and physics and top it with biology, it was really difficult to get your brain to move back and remember especially thermodynamics ^^^^

I took the general/general EIT in April 2009 and passed first time. I believe it was very helpful in that I took the mechanical PE this year. To me, the general EIT exam was geared towards mechanical in many subjects and the weight of those subjects. But be warned: the basics you will learn for the EIT is fundamental knowledge for the PE, but the scope and difficulty will not come close to comparing.

I too believe that the practice of studying was the biggest benefit as mentioned above. You need two things to pass the PE:

(1) know the material, and

(2) the study habits that allow you to learn effectively and efficiently.

Everyone is different from how much content to study per day to what time of day you'll remember the most to where the best place is to study. Some people like background noise, some people can't take any. The EIT was good practice to find my best ways of learning and it translated immediately to studying for the PE. I was able to set myself up for success and only had to re-review about 3 chapters for me to feel comfortable about my chances of passing.

I took the general/general FE after almost 20 years past my school time. All that math, chemistry and physics and top it with biology, it was really difficult to get your brain to move back and remember especially thermodynamics ^^^^
Agreed! I only waited 4 years out of college to take the FE and found it very frustrating having to study concepts and formulas that I used to be able to do in my sleep. However, it was quite rewarding when I found out i passed. Kind of gives you that feeling of "yup, still got it".

:thumbs:

Back