20 years of engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Today marks the 20th anniversary of the day I walked away with my Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering.

**** I'm old!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, my degree was two and a half years old by then. In fact, I was back in school working on my Master's degree by that time.

**** whippersnapper! :eek:ld-025:

It's especially strange to think that I am only at the mid-point of my career. I'll be working actively past the 40-year mark, almost certainly (if my health allows me to).

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the day I walked away with my Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering.
**** I'm old!!!
I've got you by six months (May 12, 1990). I've covered a lot of ground in the last 20 years.

I feel like I've done a lot, too, even though I've been in the same job now for 12+ years. Prior to that, I went from being an ME who planned to work in manufacturing, to an oilfield engineer running explosives and electronic instruments into wells on offshore platforms, to a civil engineer managing the construction of a large commercial seaport, to an environmental regulator.

I'm ready for the next career now!

Wow, I've been in this job just over five years and that's the longest I've ever worked someplace.

Congrats!!!

Hard to believe that 1990 was 20 years ago... Where are the **** hoverboards?

Congrats Dleg. You're 3 years ahead of me (17 years on Saturday). I waited way too long to go after my PE. lol. Better late to the party than never though...

Wow, I've been in this job just over five years and that's the longest I've ever worked someplace.
My record is 4 years...2 jobs ago. My shortest tenure was 3 months, but I was laid off from that job due to lack of business.
Yeah, I was a bit worried about my career "record".

First job, I stayed for 3 years 6 months - Moved to a different city to follow my bride.

Second job, 11 months - Didn't like the attitude or quality of product in that office.

Third job, 2 years 9 months - Shut the office down. **** it. (not me, literally... The Man shut us down.)

Fourth job, 2 months - Sucked balls. Big time. Would have stayed 6 months, but didn't want to lose the opportunity at the place I turned down for this one.

Fifth job, 7 months and counting - Turned them down initially for job #4. Not great, but literally I think best I could hope for in geographical location.

Anyway, I wonder what prospective employers think when they see my resume. It concerns me.

Edit: Congratulations Dleg! Sorry to stray the topic away.

My record is 4 years...2 jobs ago. My shortest tenure was 3 months, but I was laid off from that job due to lack of business.
Yeah, I was a bit worried about my career "record".

First job, I stayed for 3 years 6 months - Moved to a different city to follow my bride.

Second job, 11 months - Didn't like the attitude or quality of product in that office.

Third job, 2 years 9 months - Shut the office down. **** it. (not me, literally... The Man shut us down.)

Fourth job, 2 months - Sucked balls. Big time. Would have stayed 6 months, but didn't want to lose the opportunity at the place I turned down for this one.

Fifth job, 7 months and counting - Turned them down initially for job #4. Not great, but literally I think best I could hope for in geographical location.

Anyway, I wonder what prospective employers think when they see my resume. It concerns me.

Edit: Congratulations Dleg! Sorry to stray the topic away.

I wouldn't worry too much... you could say that 2nd job wasn't the right fit as you didn't know enough about the company because you moved / relocated to be with your new wife and were not as familiar with the company's work as you believed pre-hire. The 3rd was beyong your control, which didn't give you the time to really search for #4 - which is similar to #2. Just stay at #5 for a few years if possible.

I was at my first job for 8 years.

Second job for 6 years (Three different companies without so much as a change of desk or phone number).

I'm at six years and counting here.

9.5 years since earning my BS here.

First job: 1 year, 11 months at a land development firm. Hated it (think In Living Color). They let me go b/c I was "getting too stressed out." I had just bought our house 1 month prior to firing, so I don't know how letting me go was going to help de-stress me.

Out of engineering for 10 months. Drove a bus during the winter at a ski area.

Current job: 5 years, 7 months and counting at a geotechnical/environmental engineering firm. I love working here, and don't forsee leaving soon, assuming the economy gets back on track.

Back