TENNESSEE - RESULTS Oct 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrinley

Reaction score
Can't believe no one has gotten this started yet. Makes you wonder if no one in TN is waiting on results. I have already passed the PE (April 09). Good luck to all those waiting for results and have a merry Christmas.

I'm waiting, too........passed mechanical in April, then took Fire Protection in October. Fingers crossed. I hope to know before the new year

Waiting and wishing...by my calculations TN will not get results until Jan 7-14th based on a running average of the last 5 years (70 days for Oct exams) and an average of 77 days for the last two years Oct. exams...But who is counting!

@laurissap why would you take two different PE exams? In IL at least it doesn't matter what exam you take you are a licensed professional engineer and you can stamp anything you have 'expertise' in. Is it different in TN?

I am waitng not so patiently now. I was doing well until earlier this week, but I am a nervous wreck now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am waitng not so patiently now. I was doing well until earlier this week, but I am a nervous wreck now.

According to TN PE Association, the results will be posted 8-10 week after the exam (used to be 10-12 weeks). Last time I got the result on the end of 12th week. So, I assume that we see the results on the end of the 10th week which is happened on the first week of January.

Everyone, just relax, take a dip breath, enjoy the Holidays and have a good time. Few more weeks of no study for some of us, and excitements for other are coming soon (3 more weeks)!!! :waitwall: .

Below is a list of passing rates for the TN April PE exams which came out in the Fall/Winter edition of Design Lines.

Discipline Total Pass % Pass

Architectural 1 1 100%

Chemical 3 2 67%

Civil 110 46 42%

Electrical 25 14 56%

Environmental 13 6 46%

Mechanical 37 21 57%

Structural I 12 4 33%

Structural II 4 4 100%

All 205 98 48%

I found this interesting.

@asunw: I ask myself the same thing. I work in Fire Protection, and the higher ups at my company asked me to take it even though I think my mechanical PE (therm/fluids) would definitely cover fire sprinkler work. If I get the FPE then my expertise is less likely to be questioned. Also, there are some government jobs that require the FPE. And looking down the road, as far as jobs go, FPE is rarer and if I ever wanted to work in an A&E firm it might get be a good selling point that most don't have. If I get it, I'll be the only one at my work who is a double PE. But, I don't get another stamp or anything.

@asunw: I ask myself the same thing. I work in Fire Protection, and the higher ups at my company asked me to take it even though I think my mechanical PE (therm/fluids) would definitely cover fire sprinkler work. If I get the FPE then my expertise is less likely to be questioned. Also, there are some government jobs that require the FPE. And looking down the road, as far as jobs go, FPE is rarer and if I ever wanted to work in an A&E firm it might get be a good selling point that most don't have. If I get it, I'll be the only one at my work who is a double PE. But, I don't get another stamp or anything.
hmm odd, there must be a distinction in PE exams there because in IL after you pass the exam, no one asks which module you took.

I just called the TN Board of Architectural and Engineering Examiners. They told me to not expect the results until after the new year. I knew this was the case based on the history, but I had to hear it from them. Hopefully I will be able to relax and enjoy the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just called the TN Board of Architectural and Engineering Examiners. They told me to not expect the results until after the new year. I knew this was the case based on the history, but I had to hear it from them. Hopefully I will be able to relax and enjoy the holidays.

Thanks for the TN update Rob. :waitwall:

I work in an electrical/instrumentation design group. I took the instrumentation test in October, but if I didn't pass, I'll take the electrical power test in April. That's only because the I&C test is only offered once a year.

The lady at the TN board essentially told me I'd be crazy to take the electrical test if I pass the instrumentation test. Since they make no distinction, and as you say, you don't get two licenses, I guess it would only be bragging rights. Would you sign you name John Smith, PE PE?

By the way, I knew the instrumentation test (I guess they call it "Controls") would be difficult, because they all are difficult, but I wasn't expecting some of the obscure topics. I work in nuclear power... what the hell do I know about off-gas flares in a refinery?

For anyone planning to take the controls exam next October, get yourself a copy of the ASME boiler and pressure code, as well as a copy of the ISA standards. Those are two books I didn't take but wish I had (it would sure help if there was a controls study guide).

I work in an electrical/instrumentation design group. I took the instrumentation test in October, but if I didn't pass, I'll take the electrical power test in April. That's only because the I&C test is only offered once a year.

The lady at the TN board essentially told me I'd be crazy to take the electrical test if I pass the instrumentation test. Since they make no distinction, and as you say, you don't get two licenses, I guess it would only be bragging rights. Would you sign you name John Smith, PE PE?

People who work solely in fire protection want to see an FPE not just a mechanical engineer. The Fire Protection exam is completely different from the mechanical. A few exam topics like pipe flow and pumps are interchangeable. But, most others, like means of egress, building construction, life safety, and fire protection analysis are discipline specific. It's not just about bragging rights. It's two separate fields of engineering and by passing both I prove that I am competent in both as an engineer. I would sign my name most likely,

Jane Smith, PE

Mechanical/Fire Protection Engineer

Hope everyone had a merry christmas..............., but I am so over waiting.........Another two weeks is gonna feel like a lifetime :(

By the way, I knew the instrumentation test (I guess they call it "Controls") would be difficult, because they all are difficult, but I wasn't expecting some of the obscure topics. I work in nuclear power... what the hell do I know about off-gas flares in a refinery?
For anyone planning to take the controls exam next October, get yourself a copy of the ASME boiler and pressure code, as well as a copy of the ISA standards. Those are two books I didn't take but wish I had (it would sure help if there was a controls study guide).

Study Guide from ISA

I think they offer review classes as well.

Study Guide from ISA

I think they offer review classes as well.

In retrospect, I guess I was aware of their study guide before I took the test. Based on this description, I didn't think I needed it: "Topics in the book include process measurement and calibration, sizing process control elements, digital logic, analog signals, process safety and shutdown, industrial control networks, NEC and NFPA codes."

As it turns out, ASME and ISA standards are also on the test. I'm skeptical about whether that study guide goes into enough detail on those subjects, if it's even covered. If it is covered in the guide, they should mention it.

So I guess I misspoke... I was more interested in a reference manual, rather than a study guide.

For the test, I took an NEC, EE Reference Manual, ME Reference Manual, EIT Reference Manual, Fisher Controls Sizing Manual, and two instrumentation text books. I felt a little deficient after seeing the load of crap the civil people brought. Heh.

If I have to take it again, I'll take ASME and ISA codes too. But I still won't know squat about gas flares.

Back