Will my Application be approved

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SemiQualified

Reaction score
The Appraisal forms needed for a PE application (http://drl.wi.gov/docview.asp?docid=420&locid=0) says

The board suggests the person completing this form should have 12 months of knowledge of the applicant's engineering experience within the past five years.
My dilemma is I have had three jobs over the course of my 4 year experience and only one of them with only one PE is for over 12 months.

3 years experience - 1 PE

6 months experience - 1 PE, could pinch it for 2 but not worth it.

9 months experience (and counting, but the application deadline is Jan 8th) - over 5 PE's that I work with.

Will I be denied?

I really want to take this in the spring as I am getting married within two months of the fall exam date and won't have proper time to prepare for it.

Thanks for any advice.

I really want to take this in the spring as I am getting married within two months of the fall exam date and won't have proper time to prepare for it.
A wedding ceremony shouldn't take more than an hour, I can't imagine that interfering with your studying that much.

:p

A wedding ceremony shouldn't take more than an hour, I can't imagine that interfering with your studying that much.

:p
Har Har. I will pretty much lose the majority of 3 weeks (minimum) in the 8 weeks before the exam.

Honestly I don't see myself dealing with the stress of these at the same time very well. Oh hey lets enjoy a honeymoon while you should be studying for an 8 hour long exam you aren't ready for. Did I mention you should be studying right now?

Anyways, I'm posting about the likeliness of my application being denied. It says suggested, that makes me assume I could maybe get away with one PE less than a year, but I'm assuming two will get me denied.

the only way to know if the board will accept your application is to send it in. The worst they can say is no.

It must be pretty easy to get 5000 posts if they are all so insightful as your two in this thread roadwreck.

Thank you for your time and constructive feedback Sapper.

It must be pretty easy to get 5000 posts if they are all so insightful as your two in this thread roadwreck.
Remove stick from sphincter please. Both my statements were legitimate.

In regards to my first statement, life does not stop just because you are studying for the exam. Things happen. Events occur. If you want you can find any little excuse as to why it is inconvenient to study for the exam you will find one and if you wait for the ideal situation before taking the exam you never will take it. You are never going to be handed the "proper time to prepare", so don't worry about it. I would hope that if you are qualified to take the exam that you could multi-task, planning a wedding won't take up every moment of your free time.

And my second statement is true too. No one here can know if your board is going to approve your references, all you can do is try. If it doesn't work out what have you lost? A $30 application fee? Big whoop-dee-doo.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to my first statement, life does not stop just because you are studying for the exam. Things happen. Events occur. If you want you can find any little excuse as to why it is inconvenient to study for the exam you will find one and if you wait for the ideal situation before taking the exam you never will take it. You are never going to be handed the "proper time to prepare", so don't worry about it.
Best post I've read on here in ages.

A wedding ceremony shouldn't take more than an hour, I can't imagine that interfering with your studying that much. :p

the only way to know if the board will accept your application is to send it in. The worst they can say is no.
These are really astute observations. They obviously needed to be said. Instead of refraining from posting, or adding something worthwhile you belittle things I didn't ask for feedback on.

In regards to my first statement, life does not stop just because you are studying for the exam. Things happen. Events occur. If you want you can find any little excuse as to why it is inconvenient to study for the exam you will find one and if you wait for the ideal situation before taking the exam you never will take it. You are never going to be handed the "proper time to prepare", so don't worry about it. I would hope that if you are qualified to take the exam that you could multi-task, planning a wedding won't take up every moment of your free time.
This is just ridiculously subjective and again has nothing to do with what I was seeking here. I can't help but laugh that someone thinks this is such a wise post.

Things happen.

Events occur.

Your anecdotal experience doesn't give you the right to try and lecture me about what life might hand me. Fact of the matter is April is an absolutely ideal time for me to take the exam and it will be very easy to take the proper time to prepare.

Trivializing an inaccurate $30 ($75) application cost is also poor form. Money is relative.

I've had enough of your worthless ignorant responses, I won't be back. (yea I get your point of saddle up buttercup and deal with it but I didn't come here for your shoot from the hip life tips)

Go ahead and post your response that I won't be back to read because we gotta get to 6,000 somehow right? Keep that engineering forum board ego intact even if it's without tact.

Thanks again Sapper for the advice.

:i_cry:

So it seems the only thing I was wrong about was the $75 application fee, instead of $30. Big whoop-dee-do. Do you have any idea how much you'll probably spend on references for this exam? Trust me, the $75 is going to seem insignificant.

I stand by my other statements as being relevant and pertinent to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it seems the only thing I was wrong about was the $75 application fee, instead of $30. Big whoop-dee-do. Do you have any idea how much you'll probably spend on references for this exam? Trust me, the $75 is going to seem insignificant.

Don't forget the cost for hotel rooms, lost vacation time at work, travel costs to the exam site, childcare and/or boarding pets...

I couldn't agree any more--just send in the application and the worst that happens is you get a letter in the mail telling you what you need to send in differently.

$75? That's all?? Heck, it's $275 in CA. :(
$275 to apply to your state board for approval to sit for the exam? Or $275 to register for the exam? I remember having to submit a fee for my application and then another fee to register for the exam later. I don't remember what the exact costs were for each, but I know the application fee was a fraction of the cost to register for the exam.

$275 to apply to your state board for approval to sit for the exam? Or $275 to register for the exam? I remember having to submit a fee for my application and then another fee to register for the exam later. I don't remember what the exact costs were for each, but I know the application fee was a fraction of the cost to register for the exam.

$275 to apply for and take the exam(s). Seismic, Survey, Fed 8-hour. If you pass one or two of the three tests and only need to re-take one or two of the three tests - still $275 each time.

Don't forget the cost for hotel rooms, lost vacation time at work, travel costs to the exam site, childcare and/or boarding pets...

I couldn't agree any more--just send in the application and the worst that happens is you get a letter in the mail telling you what you need to send in differently.

$9 parking. :(

$9 parking. :(

I remember parking for my EIT was like $25. We're all "rich" engineers, right? :brick:

$275 to apply for and take the exam(s). Seismic, Survey, Fed 8-hour. If you pass one or two of the three tests and only need to re-take one or two of the three tests - still $275 each time.
I think it does include your license when you finally do pass. I hope. Knowing CA, they probably have a "License handling fee" of $100 so they can pay $110 for some "challenged person" to have a job licking envelopes and taking them to the post office.

Back