Civil PE AM Breadth Exam Scope??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hope2011

Reaction score
All, I am confused about the coverage of civil PE morning section. Per NCEES information, the morning section including Construction (20%), Geotechnical (20%), Structural (20%), Transportation (20%) and Water Resources and Environmental (20%).

And then what confuses me is that I borrowed a review book for Civil PE exam: "Principles and Practices of Civil Engineering - The most effective PE exam review" by Merle C. Potter (4th edition); but in his book, the review Chapters are: Mathematics, Statics, Mechanics of Materials, Fluid Mechanics, Open Channel Flow, Flow in Piping Systems, Hydrology, Structural Steel, Reinforced Concrete, Intermediate Structures, Water Treatment, Waste Water Treatment, Highway Design, Soil Mechanics, Foundations and Retaining Structures, and Engineering Economics. This looks like similar as FE morning section, isn't it? Then why in NCEE's specifications, it didn't mention, for example, mathematics, and engineering economics?

Am I using the wrong review book? Or am I referring wrong NCEE's specifications? Can anyone recommend a good review book for morning section??

Thanks

"Principles and Practices of Civil Engineering - The most effective PE exam review" by Merle C. Potter (4th edition)
^^^^Published Date - August 2000^^^^

Per NCEES information, the morning section including Construction (20%), Geotechnical (20%), Structural (20%), Transportation (20%) and Water Resources and Environmental (20%).
^^^^Effective April 2008^^^^

If I had to guess, I'd say your review book is just a tad behind the times.

You should be fine with Lindeburg's 'Civil Engineering Reference Manual' (CERM) for the morning. Even much of the afternoon.

"Principles and Practices of Civil Engineering - The most effective PE exam review" by Merle C. Potter (4th edition)

Per NCEES information, the morning section including Construction (20%), Geotechnical (20%), Structural (20%), Transportation (20%) and Water Resources and Environmental (20%).

Any good suggestion to cover AM exam review materials?

Any good suggestion to cover AM exam review materials?

I must have had the invisible ink option turned on in Post #3.

If you're looking for a good book(s) to cover the AM breadth section, then look no farther than PPI's Lindbergh Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the Civil PE Exam.

I took (and passed) the PE exam in April 2010 and used ONLY this book in the morning.

If you're looking for a good book(s) to cover the AM breadth section, then look no farther than PPI's Lindbergh Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the Civil PE Exam.
I took (and passed) the PE exam in April 2010 and used ONLY this book in the morning.

CERM. Hmmm. Why didn't I think of suggesting that?

In case there is any confusion left, the CERM by Lindebergh is THE reference for the AM portion of the exam. :D

All, I am confused about the coverage of civil PE morning section. Per NCEES information, the morning section including Construction (20%), Geotechnical (20%), Structural (20%), Transportation (20%) and Water Resources and Environmental (20%).
And then what confuses me is that I borrowed a review book for Civil PE exam: "Principles and Practices of Civil Engineering - The most effective PE exam review" by Merle C. Potter (4th edition); but in his book, the review Chapters are: Mathematics, Statics, Mechanics of Materials, Fluid Mechanics, Open Channel Flow, Flow in Piping Systems, Hydrology, Structural Steel, Reinforced Concrete, Intermediate Structures, Water Treatment, Waste Water Treatment, Highway Design, Soil Mechanics, Foundations and Retaining Structures, and Engineering Economics. This looks like similar as FE morning section, isn't it? Then why in NCEE's specifications, it didn't mention, for example, mathematics, and engineering economics?

Am I using the wrong review book? Or am I referring wrong NCEE's specifications? Can anyone recommend a good review book for morning section??

Thanks
Construction rolls up economics, earthwork (borrow fill), surveying and estimating (mathematics)

In case there is any confusion left, the CERM by Lindebergh is THE reference for the AM portion of the exam. :D
What do we study for PM construction if CERM only for AM?

What do we study for PM construction if CERM only for AM?

Back