california october 2010 engineering survey examination

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htoresk

Reaction score
does anybody have any comments about the last sitting on eng. surveying?

wonder what the average number of questions that can be worked out in the 21/2 hrs. by the statistically distribution of all those taking the test in this sitting.

I felt the test was most unconventional.

I personally followed the Special Civil Engineering Examination surveying Test plan, for my preparation, however the test in no way reflected the % brakedown of topics to we were going to tested on.

any comments from anybody?

wonder what the average number of questions that can be worked out in the 21/2 hrs. by the statistically distribution of all those taking the test in this sitting.

I personally followed the Special Civil Engineering Examination surveying Test plan, for my preparation, however the test in no way reflected the % brakedown of topics to we were going to tested on.

I found the test to be much harder this time than the last time I took it. This time I studied and last time I did not, I was able to answer less problems this time. I feel that surveying exam truly requires one to be very familiar with reading engineering plans and sketches.. u might be able to get through the 8 hr and the seismic without much experience in engineering drawings, but i felt i was at a very big disadvantage because of that.

There's a designated subforum for the CA Survey, right? Here

Anyway, this was my first time. I did study a lot for it. I think I did okay. I was surprised how little I opened any of my resources during the test. Basically only one book just a few times for simple formulas/basic info. Everything else comes from your head! I also had nothing to do with the handful of COGO programs in my HP33. The exam problems didn't exactly match those of the study problems most of us have but the basic core/crux of the problems were shared. To me, it was totally doable. Yes, 2.5 hours to do 50 problems is rough. I felt really good about 35 problems, felt okay about another 5 and then basically guessed on the remaining 10. We only need a 60% to pass though so I feel pretty confident I passed.

Good luck everyone!

I found the test to be much harder this time than the last time I took it. This time I studied and last time I did not, I was able to answer less problems this time. I feel that surveying exam truly requires one to be very familiar with reading engineering plans and sketches.. u might be able to get through the 8 hr and the seismic without much experience in engineering drawings, but i felt i was at a very big disadvantage because of that.
I also encountered the same experience. very little time to look at any references.

did most of you guys worked out at list a min. of 35 problems that you feel for sure confident that you answered correct?

I am concerned that many of the problems I worked out, got the answer choice solution offered. however in the haste of doing more problems I did not check for any other posible solutions for the same problem.

the questions on engineeering practice , the simplicity of some of the questions, as well as the complexity of others, the the way the test was drafted, all of this raises my anxiety levels to the max.

I think the ones drafting such test should take the test under the same test conditions, so that they may have an idea of what we go thru.

any ways good luck to all of you guys!!

The test was not tough, but, the time limit is the problem. I dont think there was anything I could not work but just did not have the time. I guessed at 7 but probably did well on the others. I just dont understand why they want to make time such an important part, if we did engineering like that test alot of stuff would fall down.

The test was not tough, but, the time limit is the problem. I dont think there was anything I could not work but just did not have the time. I guessed at 7 but probably did well on the others. I just dont understand why they want to make time such an important part, if we did engineering like that test alot of stuff would fall down.
As long as CA only requires two years experience to qualify for taking the exam, the CA PELS can make everyone sweat a bit for the surveying and seismic exam just so that the process isn't so easy. If CA were like most states where 4 years of work experience is required to apply for the exam, the state-specific tests wouldn't be as difficult.

Everyone should realize that there are many people from out-of-state who are willing to study the CA state tests just so they don't need to work another 2 years to get their PE in their own state. CA PELS is aware of this fact by maintaining a high standard for those who eventually pass the exams. Also, most people get their PE in CA in less than 4 years of working even if they had to retake any of the tests.

As long as CA only requires two years experience to qualify for taking the exam, the CA PELS can make everyone sweat a bit for the surveying and seismic exam just so that the process isn't so easy. If CA were like most states where 4 years of work experience is required to apply for the exam, the state-specific tests wouldn't be as difficult.

Everyone should realize that there are many people from out-of-state who are willing to study the CA state tests just so they don't need to work another 2 years to get their PE in their own state. CA PELS is aware of this fact by maintaining a high standard for those who eventually pass the exams. Also, most people get their PE in CA in less than 4 years of working even if they had to retake any of the tests.
sac, I have no idea what you are saying. Can you explain this 2 year / 4 year thing? Before we can take the PE Exam (8-hour, Survey and Seismic included), we need 72 months of qualifying engineering experience, after graduation, but 48 months of that can be schooling, leaving us 24 needed months of experience, right? Are you saying this is not the case in other states?

sac, I have no idea what you are saying. Can you explain this 2 year / 4 year thing? Before we can take the PE Exam (8-hour, Survey and Seismic included), we need 72 months of qualifying engineering experience, after graduation, but 48 months of that can be schooling, leaving us 24 needed months of experience, right? Are you saying this is not the case in other states?
That's right. In almost no other state can you be licensed after only 2 years of work experience. In fact, since I think they'll also credit 1 additional year for a masters, I think you can actually get a license in California with a grand total of one year work experience.

Most states I think you need at least 4 years real work experience, no matter how much school you have. At least more than 1 or 2.

I'm from CA by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back