Day Before Exam Preparation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus808

Reaction score
I will start this thread as I feel this is actually really important, maybe common sense ;) But something I needed to do which I didn't.

Tips for Day before preparation:

1. Try not to do anything out of the ordinary

2. Double check to make sure you have all of your books, calculators, straight edge

3. Food! (be sure to stock up on snacks, water, energy drinks, anything your board will allow) This was key!

4. Get a good rest! You should already be sleeping early for entire week to get yourself ready for the night before. Since I'm typically a late sleeper I had extreme difficulty sleeping early. Being so nervous before the exam, couldn't get a good night's rest.

5. Set two alarms in case one doesn't go off and be sure to be about an hour or hour half earlier than needed.

This exam is as much a physical exam as a mental one. If it wasn't for 5 Hour Energy, snacks, and Advil, I don't think I would've survived this exam.

Anyone care to add? Thanks.

I will start this thread as I feel this is actually really important, maybe common sense ;) But something I needed to do which I didn't.

2. Double check to make sure you have all of your books, calculators, straight edge

3. Food! (be sure to stock up on snacks, water, energy drinks, anything your board will allow) This was key!

4. Get a good rest! You should already be sleeping early for entire week to get yourself ready for the night before. Since I'm typically a late sleeper I had extreme difficulty sleeping early. Being so nervous before the exam, couldn't get a good night's rest.

5. Set two alarms in case one doesn't go off and be sure to be about an hour or hour half earlier than needed.

This exam is as much a physical exam as a mental one. If it wasn't for 5 Hour Energy, snacks, and Advil, I don't think I would've survived this exam.

Your exam admission paper(s)

TomTom (GPS) already programmed and printed directions and an aerial map of the test site area

Cash/change (enough for parking and more)

Wallet/ID/AAA card

A watch with a stop-watch feature

Your calculator(s) and extra battery and little screwdriver

Ear plugs

Seat cushion

Lunch/snacks/water/hard candies

Aspirin/Tylenol

Chap-stick

Sweatshirt/light jacket/flannel

Your mobile phone fully charged (but remember to leave it in the car!)

Plastic grocery bags/trash bags

Umbrella

All your books, grouped and boxed, dolly and bungee cord

Paper towels/tissues

Protractor and scale

Sunglasses

Ensure gas tank is full and your spare tire/tools are present

Load the car, have breakfast ready to go, set out clothes, set the alarm(s)

Go to sleep :)

Make sure you clear your system out before the test. I didn't want to waste anytime for bathroom breaks during the test so I had a full bladder most of the afternoon session. I shouldn't of had that large coffee after lunch.

I forgot a bottle of water and I was very parched during the morning session which really sucked. The good thing is I managed to finish up about 45 minutes early.

I highly recommend you stay away from any foods that are going to make you...well have to ****, to be blunt about it. There was a Qdoba right across the street from the testing center and it sounded really good, but I knew I would be doing the green apple two-step if I ate it. I stuck with a ham and cheese sandwich I had packed.

Drink lots of water AFTER the exam. I was super dehydrated the next morning because I had maybe 3 sips of water all day.

Somehow this thread very quickly went from "What to do the day before the exam" to "What to do the day of the exam". :confused:

I brought a thermos of coffee with me to the exam. Sure was nice pouring a hot cup of coffee at about 4:00 in the afternoon to keep me going. :)

As for the day before, just ignore anything you spot wrong with your car 10 minutes before leaving... and drive it anyway. Never mind that the power steering pump made a pretty good racket on the 2 hour drive home... ;)

Make sure you clear your system out before the test. I didn't want to waste anytime for bathroom breaks during the test so I had a full bladder most of the afternoon session. I shouldn't of had that large coffee after lunch.
Actually I found the bathroom breaks very useful. You get up, clear your mind for a minute, walking to the bathroom gets your blood going, etc.

I now have a "ritual" of sorts before the exam, and for the day of the exam:

Day before Prep:

1)I buy an apple juice, orange juice, starbucks bottled (or canned) coffee, and a bottled water to bring with me to the exam.

I also buy a breakfast sandwhich and a light lunch (usually tuna - good protein, or chicken caesar wrap) and a yogurt.

By now you should be able to tell I have taken this exam more than a couple of times ;)

2)I bring cash, quarters, my ID and exam ticket and put it in my food bag. I LEAVE MY CELL AND PURSE IN THE CAR. I fill up my gas tank and stay in a hotel the night before. I take a HOT relaxing bath, while drinking beer (two max - had guiness this last time). I set my alarm for 6am (the hotel is 5 minutes from the exam site(s)...and I always bring printed out directions, and my EZ pass.

3)Meds - bring cough drops, cough medicine, sleeping pills (don't take more than one...well two if you're a big guy), tums, and pain reliever.

4)I actually worked problems for several hours the day before the exam, and am thankful at this point that I did because I actually saw 40+ problems just like the ones I had just solved the day before (and had with me). I did not find this exhausting...I found it to be like a mental jog around the block before the marathon.

During the Exam:

I pray.

I breathe and relax and look up at the ceiling if I feel myself getting frustrated (like when a proctor interrupts your train of thought because they *think* they see something amiss in your notes but really you've done nothing wrong)...

I hydrate...taking sips every 20 minutes or so. Because I'm a woman, there is no line to the bathroom at the exam and I'm happy to wait till the end of each section.

When I get home (after sitting on my ass for 8 hours plus the 3 hour ride home) I vent...and then I stalk this forum and the CT DCP website.

I inked over my notes I wrote in pencil in the index of my review book. It gave me something to pass the time and kept me from thinking I should be studying some more. The blue ink also helped the notes stand out.

The best thing I did before the exam was make a run to the pharmacy. I picked up a box of those super mega protein bars with 500 calories and more protein than a big steak dinner and stashed it in the car at lunch time. Good thing I did too because I would have been gnawing my arm off if I had just eaten the lunch I packed since I was more hungry than I anticipated.

I felt sorry for not having a stop watch on the table (digital one) and relying on wrist watch. Have a digital clock. If you spend more than six minute simply move to another problem.

I felt sorry for not having a stop watch on the table (digital one) and relying on wrist watch. Have a digital clock. If you spend more than six minute simply move to another problem.
Can you bring a clock? At our test site, they said you can't have your watch on the table, it had to be on your wrist.

Can you bring a clock? At our test site, they said you can't have your watch on the table, it had to be on your wrist.

You can have a watch on your wrist or a clock or a watch on the floor.

I hydrate...taking sips every 20 minutes or so. Because I'm a woman, there is no line to the bathroom at the exam and I'm happy to wait till the end of each section.
I brought a couple of bottles of water in with me... and some Motrin. Probably the best move I made. I normally drink 4-6 bottles of water a day at work, so I know that when I don't, I get a headache. Having a quick drink every couple of minutes also helps to clear the mind between problems...

Good luck POed Mommy... I did like the two beer max for the night before the exam... I think I limited myself to 6!

What's you guys opinion on sleeping pills? A friend of mind told me to avoid it as it makes you feel "groggy" or really tired the next morning. But is that better than no sleep at all? If I take this exam again, I definitely need to find a way to sleep. Any tips for getting a good nights rest guys? Thanks.

Any tips for getting a good nights rest guys?
beer? :40oz: just kidding, but I definitely wouldn't go with sleeping pills unless you know how they will affect you--don't want to sleep in/be groggy in the morning/etc.

What's you guys opinion on sleeping pills? A friend of mind told me to avoid it as it makes you feel "groggy" or really tired the next morning. But is that better than no sleep at all? If I take this exam again, I definitely need to find a way to sleep. Any tips for getting a good nights rest guys? Thanks.
In my experience, if I take sleeping pills (actually, I take NyQuil), but don't follow it up with at least 8 hours of sleep, then I am groggy the next day. But, as long as I get 8+ hours of sleep following the NyQuil, I am fine.

I would avoid sleeping pills... maybe a drink or two (like POedMommy suggested) to take the edge off, but not too much since that will leave you dehydrated (hungover) in the morning.

Unless you are sick, avoid the drugs. You want to be as clear minded, and not groggy, at exam time.

Back