What are the chances that I passed the PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abourne

Reaction score
I took the Mechanical - Thermo-Power-Fluids

Summary of my scoring estimates:

Morning

Worst case: 25 / 40 - 63%

Probable case: 27.5 / 40 - 70%

Best case: 30 / 40 - 75%

Afternoon

Worst case - 20 / 40 - 50% (I'm sure I did better than this)

Likely case - 25+ / 40 - 63%

Best case: 70-75% if I did well on guessing (20-25% of guessing correct).

----------------

I heard that the Machine Design and Thermo people are feeling good about the test. Hence, this might increase the benchmark for passing.

I'm hoping I scored above the median.

I know where my strengths are, Thermodynamics, Fluids, and Pumps. If I take it again, I'm going to need to focus more on HVAC, Heat Transfer, and Combustion.

Results won't be out until mid to late January.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. how did you all have time/energy to figure these imaginary percentages and manage to take the test? My head was swimming by the end of each session there is no way I could have spent braincells thinking about that when i took it.

worst case = 45/80 That doesn't cut it.

Probable case = 52.5 out of 80 That doesn't cut it

Best case = 60/80 That cuts it.

I say, that in 6 months, be sure that your worst case is 80/80. I'll bet your chances on passing will be great.

but seriously, never "shoot for" 56/80 always study and "shoot for" 80/80

then, if you miss a few, no big deal.

wow. how did you all have time/energy to figure these imaginary percentages and manage to take the test? My head was swimming by the end of each session there is no way I could have spent braincells thinking about that when i took it.
When I took it, I had a symbol that I put next to the question number. The 3 symbols represented YES (correct) NO, GUESS

I knew where I stood when I left the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that you may have gotten a problem here or there wrong that you "know" you got right. Trying to estimate the number of problems you got correct is an exercise in futility in my opinion.

I took the Mechanical - Thermo-Power-Fluids
Summary of my scoring estimates:

Morning

Worst case: 25 / 40 - 63%

Probable case: 27.5 / 40 - 70%

Best case: 30 / 40 - 75%

Afternoon

Worst case - 20 / 40 - 50% (I'm sure I did better than this)

Likely case - 25+ / 40 - 63%

Best case: 70-75% if I did well on guessing (20-25% of guessing correct).

----------------

I heard that the Machine Design and Thermo people are feeling good about the test.

I'm hoping I scored above the median.
There is a simple answer:

Worst case: You will fail

Probable case: You will probably pass

Best case: You will pass

Just relax and have fun waiting. There is nothing you can do now. This come from somebody that worried beyond limits while waiting and made a fool of himself in the process. Do not make that mistake.

Just relax and have fun waiting. There is nothing you can do now. This come from somebody that worried beyond limits while waiting and made a fool of himself in the process. Do not make that mistake.
Every man (woman) must create their own destiny.

not sayin', but just sayin'

worst case = 45/80 That doesn't cut it.
Probable case = 52.5 out of 80 That doesn't cut it

I say, that in 6 months, be sure that your worst case is 80/80. I'll bet your chances on passing will be great.

but seriously, never "shoot for" 56/80 always study and "shoot for" 80/80

then, if you miss a few, no big deal.

When I took it, I had a symbol that I put next to the question number. The 3 symbols represented YES (correct) NO, GUESS

I knew where I stood when I left the exam.
I guess that would work, but would require additional thought/reminder to always make the mark and tally at the end.

Keep in mind that you may have gotten a problem here or there wrong that you "know" you got right. Trying to estimate the number of problems you got correct is an exercise in futility in my opinion.
Thats sort of what I was thinking.

I really had no clue how I did when I walked out of the room when I took it. Yes I understood many of the problems, but I also fell for some of the trick answers, some I know I caught and fixed, but there probably others i didn't.

I guess what I'm saying to all of you recent test takers, don't get bogged down, stressed out, or really waste the energy on something that is presently out of your control. It will make the wait a lot easier. It is what it is.

next the annoyance will be why it takes so long to grade a stupid scantron sheet!

worst case = 45/80 That doesn't cut it.Probable case = 52.5 out of 80 That doesn't cut it

From my review teacher, Rich:

The MS&M and T&F guys are feeling pretty good about the test; and for the the 2nd test in a row the HVAC guys are looking for a knife to cut their throat. If you think you got ~70%, then you are almost sure to pass the exam. I think the cut score is usually a little bit lower.

next the annoyance will be why it takes so long to grade a stupid scantron sheet!
Results won't be out until mid to late January. I understand the NCEES undergoes a detailed statistical analysis on each problem and determines a cutoff. Next, the states decide their cutoff, although many follow the NCEES's recommendation.

Results won't be out until mid to late January. I understand the NCEES undergoes a detailed statistical analysis on each problem and determines a cutoff. Next, the states decide their cutoff, although many follow the NCEES's recommendation.
Does anybody know if the new NCEES registration will speed things up?

oh i know that...but from past experiences come about 8 weeks from now the conversations will start centering around why it take so long to grade a scantron.

They really need to invent a sarcasm font.

Isn't the overall pass rate around 55% for ME's?

(I know it's generally lower for CE's, Chem-E's, EE's, etc.)

Hence, my hoping to score above the median.

According to NCEES it's 69% first timers, 41% retakers. California lumps the two on their results pages and historically it's been in the 45-55 range I think

Actually, Chem E's first time pass rate is usually one of the highest.

Yes, for ME's, the First timers range from 60-70%, repeat takers, around 33-39%.

But I've heard overall, it's about 55%

Don't you guys know that they just throw all of the exams in a giant hat, and pick out 70% of them?!?!
Does anyone have any guesses as to why the repeat takers passing percentage is so much lower than first time takers?

Back