AASHTO Roadside Design Handbook

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillyphan

Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering how important it is to have the AASHTO Roadside Design Manual, as I've seen it come up on a practice test.

If you are taking the transportation exam I'd say it's important.
Anyone have a little more info?
What additional information would you like? Your question was pretty vague. The AASHTO Roadside Design Guide is listed as a design standard utilized for the Transportation Depth PE exam.

NCEES Principle and Practices of Engineering Civil Breadth and Transportation Depth Exam Specifications

As such, I would expect to see questions which utilize information from this reference on this exam. Thus I would say it is probably an important reference to bring to the exam. I can't quantify how important since I don't know how many questions from this reference you will see on the exam. I would imagine you'd see at least one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am wondering how important it is to have the AASHTO Roadside Design Manual, as I've seen it come up on a practice test.

I recall one question from last Friday referring to info. found in the Roadside Design Manual - however I was still able to find the answer in 'A Policy On Geometric Design of Highways and Streets' ("Green Book"). The Green Book gave just enough info. to answer the question but mentioned to see the Roadside Design Manual for full details.

I just downloaded different states roadside design manuals, combined them, threw out repeat stuff and then printed and bound the book. It did two things for me, saved me money but more importantly, I seriously read every page. I knew right where to look in my book.

You need the Roadside Design Guide. There have been Clear Zone Recovery questions on the last two transportation afternoon exams.

The guy sitting next to me was taking transportation. He had the AASHTO Roadside Design Manual and used it frequently.

I just downloaded different states roadside design manuals, combined them, threw out repeat stuff and then printed and bound the book. It did two things for me, saved me money but more importantly, I seriously read every page. I knew right where to look in my book.

Thanks for the tip humner. I actually did this today. Can I asked which states you ended up liking and using? Any links by chance? Thanks!

The guy sitting next to me was taking transportation. He had the AASHTO Roadside Design Manual and used it frequently.
Just because the guy next to you was looking at it, that doesn't mean it helped.

I had the Green Book and the HCM in addition to the CERM and the All-in-One when I took the transpo depth exam. Unless the other reference books are readily available in your office (Roadside Design Guide, MUTCD, ITE, etc.), I wouldn't make the investment.

If your stressed about passing and feel like you have to buy all of the books, then go for it, but start studying about 4 months before the exam. Otherwise, if you're economizing your preparation time and want to focus on what the exam will mostly cover, then just go with the Green Book and HCM.

I left the transpo depth exam knowing that I answered at least 30 questions correctly. Having additional references may have been helpful, but I know I also did better in the breadth exam, so I was confident I had over 60 correct answers in both exams which would be enough to pass. Focus on what you need to know to pass, rather than trying to be competent in every single topic in the breadth and depth exams. The exam is about time management - while studying and during the exam itself.

That's great that you found one! I used the roadside design guide for a couple of questions in October. I do not know where else I could have looked for those questions.

I used it for atleast 4 questions on Oct 10 test, I think it was more like 6, but it is VERY VERY VERY useful.

I wish I would've had it for the OCT 2010 exam...I had to guess on one question because I didn't have it. There were at least 2 more problems that came out of it that I had covered in my review notes.

I used it for atleast 4 questions on Oct 10 test, I think it was more like 6, but it is VERY VERY VERY useful.
Actually was thinking of greenbook at the time. Roadside I did use for 1 question and referenced for another to double check.

Back