Bearing Capacity Factors

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passpepasspe

Reaction score
IN the goswami book, there are two tables of factors, one is 206.1 and other table is 206.2. Pages 348 and 350..I am not sure when you would use one or the other for a strip footing.. just wondering what hte difference in both are.

for the exam, do they generaly provide these factors, or you would have to find them?

Last edited by a moderator:
IN the goswami book, there are two tables of factors, one is 206.1 and other table is 206.2. Pages 348 and 350..I am not sure when you would use one or the other for a strip footing.. just wondering what hte difference in both are.
for the exam, do they generaly provide these factors, or you would have to find them?
This was posted few days ago:

If they don't specify which ones, I would default to the table in the CERM, I think it is Meyerhof ones.

More than likely they will give you the values.

I think there was a another thread about this, and it suggested that when in doubt use the method in the CERM.

If you look at the afternoon geotechnical question #516 in the NCEES 2008 sample exam it gives an abreviated table.

The NCEES folks couldn't agree on which shape and depth factors to use and changed from a square footing to a strip footing so they didn't need shape and depth factors.

So I hope they specify which one or give you the bearing capacity factors.

I'm agree with this

This was posted few days ago:

If they don't specify which ones, I would default to the table in the CERM, I think it is Meyerhof ones.

More than likely they will give you the values.

I think there was a another thread about this, and it suggested that when in doubt use the method in the CERM.

If you look at the afternoon geotechnical question #516 in the NCEES 2008 sample exam it gives an abreviated table.

The NCEES folks couldn't agree on which shape and depth factors to use and changed from a square footing to a strip footing so they didn't need shape and depth factors.

So I hope they specify which one or give you the bearing capacity factors.

I'm agree with this

Use the General factors for rectangular footings. Use Terzaghi's for strip, square or circular footings.

Back