Surveying Exam Calculator

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shahram

Reaction score
Hello All,

I wonder if you by any chance know which calculator is more preferred for surveying exam and accepted by the exam board to carry. I heard that there's a specific type that solves traverses and curves (sort of programmed to do so) and still is accepted to be used. Please share whta you think.

Hello All,
I wonder if you by any chance know which calculator is more preferred for surveying exam and accepted by the exam board to carry. I heard that there's a specific type that solves traverses and curves (sort of programmed to do so) and still is accepted to be used. Please share whta you think.
I hear there is one that can solve the entire test for you...and it's call your Brain. Anyhow, look for one that can easily convert degrees given in (degree:minute:seconds) to the decimal form. Casio FX-115 series is pretty sweet in this respect, and cheap.

I plan to use my trusty TI 86. Used it since HS and just found out you can use it on the test. I put the minute and DMS key in the shortcut list and I'm 2 buttons away. At the same time I can get it to do standard deviation and means with simply listing the numbers. I am sure glad I read the board website this time and found out the TI graphing calculators are acceptable.

I plan to use my trusty TI 86. Used it since HS and just found out you can use it on the test. I put the minute and DMS key in the shortcut list and I'm 2 buttons away. At the same time I can get it to do standard deviation and means with simply listing the numbers. I am sure glad I read the board website this time and found out the TI graphing calculators are acceptable.
With 3 minutes per question, it's not about the calculator, it's about the brain. The method of DMS to DD conversions or graphic capabilities won't save you an appreciable amount of time since the exam focuses on surveying principles. Don't buy a different calculator than what you will use or had used for the PE exam or at work. You're wasting money and time to learn to use another calculator if all you're doing is trying to pass the survey exam.

I just used the Casio that I used on the test.

The surveying test is much more about finding shortcuts to solve the problems or understanding how to quickly solve some geometry problem then having the computing power to fly yourself to the moon.

You need a calculator, but don't take the test thinking "how can i get my calculator to solve this for me," rather take it thinking "what's the fastest way to get the answer they're asking for."

da is right, I am focusing on how to get through the _ _ _ _ and find the problem and come up with some type of answere. The calc part is pretty small mostly simple trig once you figure out what you have and how to get to what they want.

I used my TI30 exclusively on the 8 hour (even though I had my HP33 with me) and on the Survey Exam, I used my beloved TI-89. I spent hours (my wife did actually) programming my HP33 with all of those fancy COGO programs but not once did I turn it on during the exam. Any 2+ line calculator with easy to use D,M,S functions is all you need.

Back