Wilting Point

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giselle_RT

Reaction score
Could someone, for the sake of my sanity, tell me what wilting point is?

It is in problem 47 of 6min solutions for Water/Env. I have looked up all my refences, even geotech references and can't find it. The problem provides a moisture tension vs moisture content graph and ask what would be the moisture content that correspond to the wilting point.

Any help will be very much appreciated, Thanks!

The wilting point ocurrs approximately 2 weeks before the exam, when you can no longer stomach doing practice problems, and just want the damned test over with already, pass or fail.

The wilting point ocurrs approximately 2 weeks before the exam, when you can no longer stomach doing practice problems, and just want the damned test over with already, pass or fail.
And the moisture content usually comes from the contents of a quart bottle.

hahaha... At least I got a so much needed good laugh!!

From WikipadiA

Permanent wilting point (PWP) or wilting point (WP) is defined as the minimal point of soil moisture the plant requires not to wilt. If moisture decreases to this or any lower point a plant wilts and can no longer recover its turgidity when placed in a saturated atmosphere for 12 hours. The physical definition of the wilting point (symbolically expressed as θpwp or θwp) is defined as the water content at −1500 J/kg (or −15 bars) of suction pressure, or negative hydraulic head.

However, it is noted that the PWP values under field conditions are not constant for any given soil, but are determined by the integrated effects of plant, soil and atmospheric conditions.

hahaha... At least I got a so much needed good laugh!!

From WikipadiA

Permanent wilting point (PWP) or wilting point (WP) is defined as the minimal point of soil moisture the plant requires not to wilt. If moisture decreases to this or any lower point a plant wilts and can no longer recover its turgidity when placed in a saturated atmosphere for 12 hours. The physical definition of the wilting point (symbolically expressed as θpwp or θwp) is defined as the water content at −1500 J/kg (or −15 bars) of suction pressure, or negative hydraulic head.

However, it is noted that the PWP values under field conditions are not constant for any given soil, but are determined by the integrated effects of plant, soil and atmospheric conditions.
Thank you so much!!! :)

And the moisture content usually comes from the contents of a quart bottle.
Is that what they mean by a mixed liquor problem?

Back