PE in Ohio? Chance to get application approved?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hope2011

Reaction score
Is anyone taking PE in Ohio? I am wondering if Ohio is strict with the applicant qualifications.

Specifically, my case is that I have my Master in Ohio State and am working 2.5 years as a transportation engineer. I have my Bachelor degree oversea. I know that Ohio requires 4 years working experience. I am thinking about taking April 2011 PE test, by then I will have 3 years working+1 year Master which can count as 1 year working experience. Now the question is that I have to have my oversea degree (BS in electrical) evaluated, right? Do you guys my application will be approved by Ohio board??

Thanks,

Is anyone taking PE in Ohio? I am wondering if Ohio is strict with the applicant qualifications.
Specifically, my case is that I have my Master in Ohio State and am working 2.5 years as a transportation engineer. I have my Bachelor degree oversea. I know that Ohio requires 4 years working experience. I am thinking about taking April 2011 PE test, by then I will have 3 years working+1 year Master which can count as 1 year working experience. Now the question is that I have to have my oversea degree (BS in electrical) evaluated, right? Do you guys my application will be approved by Ohio board??

Thanks,
If you pass your EIT exam, you may have a chance to apply. Otherwise you need to have 12yrs experience to get an approval. You need to have Credential Evaluation Report approved by ABET. I have a foreign degree, and had the entire process requirement. After ABET approve your credential education, they send their approval to NCEES, and only after this you may apply to sit on the exam. ABET required all the documents from your college come straight to them. It’s up to your “oversea” college how fast they will send paperwork. It took me to wait 9 mo. before ABET received documents. After this it was fairly fast.

Go to NCEES.org to see requirements for the approval.

By the way its not Ohio or other states requirements. Its NCEES and Ohio. You can't go around Ohio, you need to follow the NCEES rule.

Good luck

Hello Tanya,

I am in similar situation (have MS from US and Bachelors from India, already clear my EIT(took it from NH and they didn't ask for evaluation that time) and have more than 4 yrs of experience), I read somewhere that most of the foreign degree student has to go through evaluation (actually everybody) and most of them do not fulfill ABET requirement because we don't take course like social science or Human behaviors or something similar and coz of that I am not sure if I have to take additional courses here.....? did u have similar situation? were u able to fulfill ABET requirements? I really want to take exam next yr and ready for evaluation, is just not sure abt those courses.

thanks for ur help

Hello Tanya,
I am in similar situation (have MS from US and Bachelors from India, already clear my EIT(took it from NH and they didn't ask for evaluation that time) and have more than 4 yrs of experience), I read somewhere that most of the foreign degree student has to go through evaluation (actually everybody) and most of them do not fulfill ABET requirement because we don't take course like social science or Human behaviors or something similar and coz of that I am not sure if I have to take additional courses here.....? did u have similar situation? were u able to fulfill ABET requirements? I really want to take exam next yr and ready for evaluation, is just not sure abt those courses.

thanks for ur help
If you are willing and able to transfer your transcript to USA to the state board administring your PE, you should be fine. I had my Bachelor from Africa and when my Transcript was tranfered to NY, i was approved to take the exam. I am now a PE. Abet or no Abet, the state evaluating your transcript are interested in the content of your transcript and to see if it is contains all the relevant cources necessary for Bachelor. You do not need additional class and plus you have MS, man you are good to go.

Similar situation here. I am a PE in Missouri and an FE from Arizona. I have 6 years of Exp with a masters degree in the US. MO and AZ never cared to cry for an evaluation. I am in need of an MN license - and MN wants a foreign degree evaluation - and Hell - NCEES says I need 12 credits of Humanities. ! !

Hello Tanya,

thanks for ur help
If you are willing and able to transfer your transcript to USA to the state board administring your PE, you should be fine. I had my Bachelor from Africa and when my Transcript was tranfered to NY, i was approved to take the exam. I am now a PE. Abet or no Abet, the state evaluating your transcript are interested in the content of your transcript and to see if it is contains all the relevant cources necessary for Bachelor. You do not need additional class and plus you have MS, man you are good to go.

Similar situation here. I am a PE in Missouri and an FE from Arizona. I have 6 years of Exp with a masters degree in the US. MO and AZ never cared to cry for an evaluation. I am in need of an MN license - and MN wants a foreign degree evaluation - and Hell - NCEES says I need 12 credits of Humanities. ! !
Is ncees really saying that? Or are they saying that your degree is 12 credits in humanities short of be equivalent to an abet degree? Ultimately, MN will say if you have to take the 12 credits, right? They could waive it?

Back