Purpose of P.E.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerset

Reaction score
Guys:

I got my P.E., getting confused. Hard to move up along the rung of the ladder. Does anybody has such experience, around 4o years old, boring with current job, which is nice, good for retirement. Another side is the family which is VERY important to him so he has to bring the bread home.

How can you guys find the solution for middle-age-crisis?

Regards

Lianwei

I'm 25 and trying to get the PE title. Is this what I will be expecting around 40?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 25 and trying to get the PE title. Is this what I will be expecting around 40?
At least you're getting it now. I'm 40 and was told this year that I can't be promoted and no more raises without PE.

I'm taking the exam on Friday. :) Started a new job (same company) in August, so I have no "boredom" factor in my job right now. Keep learning, keep moving...

if youre brave enough and have contacts, probably better to start your own engineering consultancy company.

im also trying to get a PE, if i will have it, im planning to start a consultancy if that happens.

Guys:I got my P.E., getting confused. Hard to move up along the rung of the ladder. Does anybody has such experience, around 4o years old, boring with current job, which is nice, good for retirement. Another side is the family which is VERY important to him so he has to bring the bread home.

Regards

Lianwei
I have never been the one to be committed to a company because they aren't to you. They hire you at a certain salary with 2-3% increases per year. Then 5 years later, they turn around and hire someone in a similar position pay them more money than you're currently making because the market now dictates more money but they never adjust your salary to market values. They continue to string you along at a 2-3% increase....So my suggestion is seek other opportunities...and if you're able to get federal goverment employment.... stay there and retire...

Guys:I got my P.E., getting confused. Hard to move up along the rung of the ladder. Does anybody has such experience, around 4o years old, boring with current job, which is nice, good for retirement. Another side is the family which is VERY important to him so he has to bring the bread home.

Regards

Lianwei
I have never been the one to be committed to a company because they aren't to you. They hire you at a certain salary with 2-3% increases per year. Then 5 years later, they turn around and hire someone in a similar position pay them more money than you're currently making because the market now dictates more money but they never adjust your salary to market values. They continue to string you along at a 2-3% increase....So my suggestion is seek other opportunities...and if you're able to get federal goverment employment.... stay there and retire...
I like your suggestion, it is time to look for new chance,especially the chance in goverment.

I like your suggestion, it is time to look for new chance,especially the chance in goverment.
In 2005, only 0.4% of federal goverment workers were earning $150K or more..

In 2010, about 3.9% of federal goverment workers are making $150K or more..

In 2005, DOD had only 9 civilians earning $170K or more...

In 2010, there are 994 civilians making $170K or more...

Since 2000, federal pay and benefit have increased about 3% annually, which is above inflation,

as compare to 0.8% for private workers..

Federal Goverment is the way to go...

In 2005, only 0.4% of federal goverment workers were earning $150K or more..

In 2010, about 3.9% of federal goverment workers are making $150K or more..

In 2005, DOD had only 9 civilians earning $170K or more...

In 2010, there are 994 civilians making $170K or more...

Since 2000, federal pay and benefit have increased about 3% annually, which is above inflation,

as compare to 0.8% for private workers..

Federal Goverment is the way to go...
After you obtain your PE that you will get raised in goverment job but it will stay there forever if you got another promotion. Private job is better than goverment job in a long term. I believed in 2015 or 2020 there will be still 994 civilians making 170k or more ...because even the price for food supply or other expenses increase the salary won't changed in gov't but the private company. (The only time they make change is because the slarty is too low compared to avg)

I work for gov't and one of my coworker work for 10 years with his PE and his salary still the same (the only minor change is his union incremment). I have another friend work for only 4 years without his PE that his slary is higher than my coworker who with his PE for 10 years...

Back