CA Exam Rules

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navyasw02

Reaction score
I've been looking for the rules for CA for paper bindings, but cant find the rules. Are 3 ring binders acceptable to take into the exam or should printed materials be in a permanent binding? Also are pencil written notes in book margins allowed? I forget where I saw it, but someone posted for their state they required all notes in books to be in pen.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 3 ring is fine, no loose papers. You can have notes in pencil but run the risk or them thinking you wrote in your notebook and no way to prove otherwise, safe way is to make a photocopy of the notes or highlight, or over write with ink.

A 3 ring is fine, no loose papers. You can have notes in pencil but run the risk or them thinking you wrote in your notebook and no way to prove otherwise, safe way is to make a photocopy of the notes or highlight, or over write with ink.
What about the pencil written notes in my MERM? Is that going to be an issue?

What about the pencil written notes in my MERM? Is that going to be an issue?
You should still be careful. I saw a guy get kicked out because it looked like he was writing something on loose leaf paper. From what I saw, it took a few proctors to decide to kick that person out. I've never heard anyone get kicked out for having notes in pencil in their books, but it all depends on the proctor. They don't want people to copy exam questions so as long as your notes are specific to the content in the book and not from the exam, then I doubt you'd be asked to leave.

I remember I had a few equations written on the inside cover of my notebook in pencil and I referred to it often during the exam. If anyone had noticed, they would have observed that I didn't write anything in my notebook during the exam.

If you're so worried, I suggest highlighting your notes so that it proves you wrote them before the exam.

Back