Ideal Gas Law - NCEES Thermo # 502 and 504

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmacier

Reaction score
Good morning,

As I am preparing for the exam I find myself relearning many areas, using the MERM as the main method of teaching.

I am working the NCEES 2008 Thermo problems 502 and 504

The solutions appear to being using a version of PV=nRT that brings area and mass flow rate into it.

Looking thru the MERM I cannot find these associations at all.

Can someone point me to the specific section so I can get a better understanding of these solutions?

Or explain to me what I am missing-

m(dot)=pAV Were did this come from?

m(dot)RT=PAV Were did this come from?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Tim

Good morning,
As I am preparing for the exam I find myself relearning many areas, using the MERM as the main method of teaching.

The solutions appear to being using a version of PV=nRT that brings area and mass flow rate into it.

Can someone point me to the specific section so I can get a better understanding of these solutions?

Tim

I'm out of town so I dont have my MERM on me, but the first equation you have listed (mdot = pAV) is the definition of mass flow rate. That should be in one of the first fluids chapters of the MERM. The second one I would think would be in the thermo section that deals with ideal gas, molar weights, and all that jazz. Again, I dont have my book on me, but that's where I'd start looking.

Good morning,

Tim
The continuity equation is 17.1 and 17.2. The other equation you references is just substituting the ideal gas law into the continuity equation by replacing density (p) with the term P/RT.

Good morning,

Tim,

You are exactly correct. They are using PV=mRT and merging the continuity equation as follows:

1) PV=mRT

2) dot both sides: PV(dot) = m(dot)RT

3) Continuity equation: m(dot) = pAV = pV(dot) : NOTE - the V in the middle equation is velocity of the fluid, and the V(dot) in the third equation is the volumetric flow rate of the fluid

4)Therefore:

pAV = pV(dot)

V(dot) = AV

5) Substitute this back into: PV(dot) = m(dot)RT

PAV= m(dot)RT

6) Now you can solve for the Area

I hope this helps.

NerdHerd

Thanks guys -

I am getting triped up on the basics -

27 days left -

Tim