0ne more passive earth pressure

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrug20

Project Engineer
Reaction score
why in the attached problem Ka is found for active earth pressure? Is that a typo again or I didn't understand the task?

geo_problem1.doc

Attachments

• geo_problem1.doc
    50 KB · Views: 74
I think this has the same typos like your previous post.....

"

That's full of typos, the formula for Kp is tan^2(45 + phi/2) not tan^2(45 - phi/2), which is the formula for Ka

The calculated value of Kp is 3, not 0.333 (which is Ka)

"

Effective stress is 480

Passive pressure should be 3*480=1440

I think this has the same typos like your previous post....."

That's full of typos, the formula for Kp is tan^2(45 + phi/2) not tan^2(45 - phi/2), which is the formula for Ka

The calculated value of Kp is 3, not 0.333 (which is Ka)

"

Effective stress is 480

Passive pressure should be 3*480=1440
thanks, in both problems I come with "correct" answers with didn't mach with the NCEES answers, because of these typos. If quetions like these pop-up on the test, I will fail. These problems are from internet cafe.

Tanya,

I wouldn't worry too much about errors on the actual exam. If you discover an error on the exam you can report it to NCEES using their "security tip line" form on their website, but most errors are caught by the psychometric analysis, which flags any questions that have anomalies in scores. If there is an ambiguous question or wrong information, typically a higher than average number of people will get the problem wrong and it will be flagged. The problem is then reviewed by at least two licensed engineers and if the reviews confirm an error in a question, credit may be given for more than one answer.

Back