Passive earth pressure problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrug20

Project Engineer
Reaction score
can somebodt explain where in the last formula the mumber "320" came from. Kp=0.33. Why they put in the formula 320 instead of Kp=0.33

geo_problem.doc

Attachments

• geo_problem.doc
    46 KB · Views: 88
can somebodt explain where in the last formula the mumber "320" came from. Kp=0.33. Why they put in the formula 320 instead of Kp=0.33
That's full of typos, the formula for Kp is tan^2(45 + phi/2) not tan^2(45 - phi/2), which is the formula for Ka

The calculated value of Kp is 3, not 0.333 (which is Ka)

In the calculation for the force, the 320 should just be 3.0

Answer is correct

That's full of typos, the formula for Kp is tan^2(45 + phi/2) not tan^2(45 - phi/2), which is the formula for Ka

The calculated value of Kp is 3, not 0.333 (which is Ka)

In the calculation for the force, the 320 should just be 3.0

Answer is correct
thanks, I spend so much time to figure what is going on there.

^^^ A good rule of thumb that I recommend - don't spend any more than 20 mins on any given problem! This maximizes your exposure to a breadth of problems while still offering you a fair chance to resolve confusion or errata within the problem.

JR

^^^ A good rule of thumb that I recommend - don't spend any more than 20 mins on any given problem! This maximizes your exposure to a breadth of problems while still offering you a fair chance to resolve confusion or errata within the problem.
JR

Should we understand that (resisting) means the Force pressure no earth pressure, because if we go with earth pressure the answear will be different...........anybody can explain why?

Thanks

Back