Maximum flow and slope in sewer pipe?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
This is where my degree in Mechanical Engineering lets me down in the field of environmental engineering: I am very familiar with the minimum velocity requirements in the design of gravity sewers, but today was the first time I heard about a maximum slope or velocity. None of my engineering references mention a maximum, but an older copy of the Metcalf & Eddy sewage collection and pumping book mentions a maximum velocity of 8-10 feet per second. Any velocity above that, it says, will cause the liquids to bypass the solids, and the solids to adhere to the invert of the pipe, to the point where they might not be dislodged by subsequent flows, and eventually clog the pipe.

I ask because it was raised by an older, more experienced engineer, and seconded by another engineer that I work with, but then we couldn't find anything on other than the old M&E text. The copy of the UPC we have (an old one - 1988) doesn't mention a maximum slope, and neither do any of our other design references.

Is this a valid design concern? Or is this a relic that has somehow been disproven in the past 20-30 years?

Thanks.

Edit: We found several instances where protections against high flow velocities were mentioned, including in the 10-state standards, but with the exception of the old M&E text, the concerns were related to pipe erosion and displacement, and could be overcome with material selection and bedding design. The 10-state standards, in fact, appear to explicitly condone higher slopes and velocities, provided these concerns are addressed in the design.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where my degree in Mechanical Engineering lets me down in the field of environmental engineering: I am very familiar with the minimum velocity requirements in the design of gravity sewers, but today was the first time I heard about a maximum slope or velocity. None of my engineering references mention a maximum, but an older copy of the Metcalf & Eddy sewage collection and pumping book mentions a maximum velocity of 8-10 feet per second. Any velocity above that, it says, will cause the liquids to bypass the solids, and the solids to adhere to the invert of the pipe, to the point where they might not be dislodged by subsequent flows, and eventually clog the pipe.
I ask because it was raised by an older, more experienced engineer, and seconded by another engineer that I work with, but then we couldn't find anything on other than the old M&E text. The copy of the UPC we have (an old one - 1988) doesn't mention a maximum slope, and neither do any of our other design references.

Is this a valid design concern? Or was it somehow disproven in the past 20-30 years?

Thanks.

Dleg, it's definitely a valid concern, but I've never heard it being a concern due to clogging a pipe. It's a concern because in turbulent flow you'll get hydrogen sulfide coming out of solution. If the sewer isn't full, you'll get a little monster called Thiobacillus bacteria which will oxidize the hydrogen sulfide, produce sulfuric acid as a byproduct, and corrode the crap (no pun intended) out of your sewer.

I've never heard of solids not staying suspended at those kinds of velocities. 2.5 ft/s is enough to resuspend any solids that have settled out.

Thanks, Chucktown. It's come to my attention primarily in the realm of on-site septic system design, in the maximum slope of the building sewer to the septic tank, usually a 4-inch ABS or PVC pipe, and then the 4-inch pipe from the septic tank to the drainfield. I did some more Googling and found it in a number of local plumbing codes around the US (with reference to the solids clogging problem, not H2S), but I wonder why it's not in the UPC, and since it's apparently not, I wonder if it's just some holdover, superstition kind of thing.

I know generally the MINIMUM is 2 fps with around a 0.6% slope, but I haven't run into max conditions often.

For some reason, 7 fps is sticking out in my mind as a rough upper limit before you run into issues of scouring the pipe itself and causing damage.

As for max slopes, if you have a manhole with an external drop, it's essentially an infinite slope. I don't remember ever seeing anything in the regs.

I've never heard of liquid bypass. Wouldn't fast moving water cause less adhesion of the solids to the pipe?

There's a joke in here, right?

On a serious note, Vesilind (1979) provided a correlation based on the Hazen-Williams Equation for a modified coefficient "C" based on sludge solids content > 1% for the difference in the fluid behavior (e.g. non-newtonian). The "economical range" of flow velocities was considered to be between 5 fps and 8 fps, so Vesilind put together a nomograph of flow velocity vs. friction headloss with curves representing % solids based on field-measured data (reproduced below).

sludgeflowratebysolidsf.png

FTW? :multiplespotting:

JR

Last edited:
No, we're not talking sludge. We're talking turds sticking to the pipe, to be direct about it. Building sewer stuff, but the UPC (1988) doesn't mention it, and I would think that would be the go-to for building sewers. Anyone have an up-to date UPC? This would be under both "drainage systems" and "building sewers". But, according to these "old timers", the same principle applies to larger gravity sewer lines as well.

According to UFC 3-240-04A:

Code:
(2) Velocity. Sewers will be designed to provide a minimum velocity of 0.60 meters per
second (2.0 feet per second) at the average daily flow, or average hourly flowrate, and a
minimum velocity of 0.75 to 1.05 m/s (2.5 to 3.5 fps) at the peak diurnal flowrate, as determined
in paragraph 3-1. When velocities drop below 0.30 m/s (1.0 fps) during periods of low flow,
organic solids suspended in the wastewater can be expected to settle out in the sewer.
Sufficient velocity (0.75 to 1.05 m/s (2.5 to 3.5 fps)) must be developed regularly, once or twice
daily as a minimum, to resuspend and flush out solids which may have been deposited during
low flows. A velocity of 0.75 m/s (2.5 fps) minimum is required to keep grit and sand suspended.
However, new sewers which are properly designed and constructed should contain only minor
quantities of grit or sand. Maximum velocity is set at 3.00 m/s (10.0 fps) in the event that grit
becomes a problem.

I think I have an electronic version of the IPC somewhere... if I can find it, I'll give you the relevant sections.

So will my low flow toilet generate enough flow so my dukes don't back up, m'kay? I don't want any chocolate dragons hanging out in my plumbing.

Seriously, I always wondered if fifty year old sewer lines work well with low flow toilets. Seems the gpm/fudge monkey ratio wouldn't be high enough.

Thanks, IlPadrino. Yet another source that fails to cite soilds separation as a reason for a maximum velocity - only pipe erosion, just like my references. In other words, probably not much of an issue for 4-inch building sewers from ordinary residences.

Still, there must be some reason the older engineers I know both know this, and why it was mentioned in the old M&E. At any rate, the maximum velocities recommended for both purposes are the same - 10 fps.

The Standard Handbook of Environmental Engineering, 2nd Edition, 2004 Chapter Six, Page 6.44, Hydraulic Design for Sanitary Sewers states,

Slope. The slope of the gravity sewer should be sufficient to provide a minimum velocity of 1 ft/s (0.3 m/s) during average to low-flow conditions. Typical design practice is to provide a minimum velocity of 2 ft/s (0.6 m/s) when the pipe is flowing full. Maximum velocities should not exceed 10 ft/s (3 m/s) due to the development of hydraulic problems in the sewer.
Just sayin' ....

JR

Yeah, pipe displacement would be considered a hydraulic problem. But pipe erosion? And more to the point, poop getting permanently stuck??

Write only if you are serious! Debbie. Age 26.
My new photos and sexy videos here Click!

In the last few years, we've been hearing a lot about various online dating websites. Internet dating has largely changed how we date, and this is likely due to the
Plenty of Fishor POFis one of the true big hitters among dating sites, claiming to have more dates, more visits and more relationships than
(b) Every contract for dating referral services shall provide that notice ofenterprise may sell, induce, or permit any purchaser of dating referral service to
say they have ever used an online dating site or mobile dating app.similar to the share (29%) of never-married 18- to 34-year-olds who
Question wording: In general, do you have a positive or negative opinion of dating apps and online dating sites? Survey dates: 12921
Not everyone using online dating sites is looking for love.He was a widower of 5 years had a son that was in boarding school in Florida, his son was 12.
If you're just dipping your toes back into the dating pool, free sites can be a great Upgrading costsfor three months,for six months, orfor
Ferrera site: macaw cage doors at, 187 Laguna Bustillos, 34 La Playa dating,Patos site, 78, 80, 206 Los Reyes sites, 22, 32, 45 macaw, 34, 62; bones, 85,
One in 10 Americans have used a dating site or app, including 38% of people who currently describe themselves as "single and looking,"
The hunt began after 29-year-old nurse Samantha Stewart was They say he also may have used other dating sites to meet potential victims.
There are many dating sites that cater to single parents. Before you signup, learn more about the differences, which ones are free, and how
Reports of online dating-related rape have risen by more than 450rose in the UK from 33 in 2009 to 184 in 2014, an almost sixfold increase.
After 2 years and 38 dates, I met my fianc using an online dating site — here's what I discovered. Mallory Schlossberg. Dec. 13, 2015, 10:46
Single, busy and ready to meet someone special? These top 4 dating sites for professionals are the best place to meet a great girl (or guy) outside of work.
"We are a free online gothic dating site offering a completely free gothic dating service for goth and emo singles seeking goths friendship and
India tv shows like who wasn't allowed to find. Average and teens on her weight status characteristics:yrs old south america skeletal remains dating sites like
offline dating and (b) whether online dating promotes better romantic outcomesticular dating site or one created by the research team; or (b) exploring their
2) Input your birth date. 3) Enter your email address. 4) Select a screen name. For free, you can create and maintain a profile, browse members,
Lance J. Michigan. Meeting people is hard enough on regular dating apps, so being able to find a Republican match is a big deal for me.
Wonder Dating is a completely free online dating site. You can get from the sign up to the real life dating without paying anything. Join now! - translation missing:
18 hours ago Shares of Match Group, the hookup app's parent company, soared 12 percent toon news of hotter-than-expected growth in paid
Lithuania, unlike Estonia, has a fairly large selection of quality online dating sites. The sites that I mention herethe best online dating sites in Lithuaniaare
Industry Started: First online dating site domain was registered in64% of people are very happy in their romantic relationships and just
Joining a dating site for a different age, race, or religion can be a way And on Our Time, 585kidd, who lists his age as 19, is one of many who
Historical archeologists excavating English colonial sites often find pieces of white The earliest pipes, dating to about 1600, had stems with 964-inch diameter
I did register with a well-known online dating site a while back. It promised to match me with my perfect partner. The only matches that came
When I did through Admin panel, it changed the whole layout on the homepage. the navigation bar is displayed on all of the page. I have
We compare the most popular apps and sites to help you find your soulmate.It's helpful to know how each dating app is different so that you're Uploads%252fcard%252fimage%252f928251%252fc81fce38 b3ad 421f
19 Reasons I Didn't Reply to Your Online Dating Messageyou copypasted your message off a site, Online Dating Messages That Really

Tags :
cupid dating site
free online dating sites
adult dating sites
online dating ukraine
black dating sites
sex dating sites
tinder dating site
online dating site
dating sites for free
dating definition
100 free dating sites