Need Advice - Depth Transportation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty74

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am taking P.E.-civil exam this october-2010. I am in dilemma; which depth modulue I should take; please advise STRUCTURAL OR TRANSPORTATION

Day to day, I design glass structures ( building envelope), curtain wall only; I know basic principles of structural engineering but never invole to design real structural engineering work. Never involve to design concrete structures. I deal mostly lateral loads.

For transportation I never involve in highway and traffic engineering, but I have started my prep., and seems transportation depth modulue easy. ( LOS, Capacity Analysis based on HCM 2000). I have HCM 2000 and AASHTO Green Book-2001.

Please advise me about trasportation depth modulue, I really appreciate !

Dear All,
I am taking P.E.-civil exam this october-2010. I am in dilemma; which depth modulue I should take; please advise STRUCTURAL OR TRANSPORTATION

Day to day, I design glass structures ( building envelope), curtain wall only; I know basic principles of structural engineering but never invole to design real structural engineering work. Never involve to design concrete structures. I deal mostly lateral loads.

For transportation I never involve in highway and traffic engineering, but I have started my prep., and seems transportation depth modulue easy. ( LOS, Capacity Analysis based on HCM 2000). I have HCM 2000 and AASHTO Green Book-2001.

Please advise me about trasportation depth modulue, I really appreciate !
I also took transpo depth but work in the water resources field. I found the transpo topics easier to understand than environmental, but I have a proclivity for geometry. Also, I knew that the transpo topics, specifically the geometry, would overlap with the surveying exam topics.

I think the structural depth would require more textbooks than any other depth exam. However, that being said, you will need the HCM and Green Book for transpo, which can be expensive if your office doesn't have them.

I recommend Goswami's All-in-One PE textbook, especially for transpo. It helped a lot and was the main reason I passed the PE exam on the first try.

Good luck!

I work in construction but took the Transpo too because that seemed easier to understand/interpret the questions than some of the other disciplines. The good thing about Transpo is the questions are pretty straight forward. If you don't understand the question, you probably didn't study that topic. For other disciplines like Construction, it was hard to interpret what they are asking for. My emphasis in college was also in Transpo so it was easier for me to decide.

I hear the structural books are very expensive.

Good luck.

joey

i took the transportation session and passed (the second time) with the right references (HCM and Green book). I work in civil/environmental and my degree is mechanical, so i had never taken a transportation class before. You can teach yourself and like others said, the questions are pretty straight forward. many of them you can just figure out logically.

Back