Any Fire Protection Engineers out there?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HERO

I took the Fire Protection Exam in Pomona, CA. Now that I think about it more deeply, I'm not too sure of myself weather I passed or failed the test.

Any comments?

Last edited:
Probably not many taking that.

I heard that there is a serious demand for FPEs and they get some pretty good bucks. Is that true?

Do you work mainly in an engineering firm designing commercial buildings and the like?

Ed

I took the PE in FP last year and had the good fortune to pass. I know of 3 who took it in TN last Friday & heard it was different & tougher this year (2 of the 3 took it last year as well). Did you take the SFPE study course? I can honestly say taking it last year and having nearly complted UMD'd online Master's program at that time were the only reasons I passed. Well, that & several lucky guesses. Good luck to you!

Probably not many taking that.
I heard that there is a serious demand for FPEs and they get some pretty good bucks. Is that true?

Do you work mainly in an engineering firm designing commercial buildings and the like?

Ed
Ed,

It varies from region to region. Fire Protection Engineers working in private practice do earn more money than in government, travel more often and have more opportunities to negotiate with State, County and City government officials over codes related issues relative to their projects. Depending on building occupancy and governmental jurisdiction, the fire protection requirements varies per code. If you enjoy engineering, like to travel a lot, work under pressure and engage in bitter arguments with building officials, this job might be a good fit for you.

I work in government. My group does mainly plan check for FP, plumbing, and HVAC/R. I hold a Mechanical PE. The purpose for me to earn a Fire Protection lic is better educate myself, as well as gain better and stronger career opportunities over my life time. In my mind, making that effort to earn that PE is worth it. A few months of lousy miserable studying for a lifetime of pride is worth it.

The thing I'm surprised is that the number FPEs is low in comparison with other engineering fields.

Best Regards,

Hero

I took the PE in FP last year and had the good fortune to pass.  I know of 3 who took it in TN last Friday & heard it was different & tougher this year (2 of the 3 took it last year as well).  Did you take the SFPE study course?  I can honestly say taking it last year and having nearly complted UMD'd online Master's program at that time were the only reasons I passed.  Well, that & several lucky guesses.  Good luck to you!
Hi ST,

I didn't take the course. I brought the book and studied it on my own. After taking the test, I'm not too sure how well I did.

I've read about the SFPE coures, but its very expensive. I'm not sure if taking the course can help improve my chances in passing the test. Do the course instructors give the class homework problems and a problem workbook?

Hero

Last edited:
Hero - The instructors review all the sections of the SFPE study guide and work example problems. The example probs are sent out about a week before they are covered so you can attempt them & if you have questions are prepared by course time. It is an expensive course - but SFPE is reponsible for the questions on the PE exam & thus in a better position to prepare the takers. I already had PE (ST1) but like you, I wanted to demonstrate minimum compentency & took the exam. Hope you hear good news!

Hero - The instructors review all the sections of the SFPE study guide and work example problems. The example probs are sent out about a week before they are covered so you can attempt them & if you have questions are prepared by course time. It is an expensive course - but SFPE is reponsible for the questions on the PE exam & thus in a better position to prepare the takers. I already had PE (ST1) but like you, I wanted to demonstrate minimum compentency & took the exam. Hope you hear good news!
ST,

Thanks for your words of wisdom and experience. I'll let you know what the results are. I'm crossing my fingers hoping I'll make it first time around!

Thanks again,

Hero

Back