PE - HVAC October 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peprepoct2010

Reaction score
Anybody taking the PE in October 2010? I am about to start my preparation and looking for people who are on the same page to discuss schedule, material etc.

Anybody taking the PE in October 2010? I am about to start my preparation and looking for people who are on the same page to discuss schedule, material etc.
I will be taking the PE in October and started studying the MERM back in January. I am almost thru reading the entire book and will go back and reread some of the areas I had trouble with. Starting in August I hope to do nothing but practice problems. Some days I feel like I can do it and then other days not so much. There is a tremendous amount of data to cover. If I don't pass the first time around I am hoping that I will at least have a better feel of what to expect.

I will be taking the PE in October and started studying the MERM back in January. I am almost thru reading the entire book and will go back and reread some of the areas I had trouble with. Starting in August I hope to do nothing but practice problems. Some days I feel like I can do it and then other days not so much. There is a tremendous amount of data to cover. If I don't pass the first time around I am hoping that I will at least have a better feel of what to expect.
How may days/hours did you spend reading the MERM? Does that include solving the problems too?

I did not start yet, but I want to get an idea of how much time I should spend on it. I definitely don't have 6 months to the exam.

How may days/hours did you spend reading the MERM? Does that include solving the problems too?

I did not start yet, but I want to get an idea of how much time I should spend on it. I definitely don't have 6 months to the exam.
I didn't read the Math, Control Systems or Plant Systems. A coworker who took the test 2X said that wasn't on it but no guarantees of course. I didn't start doing the Example problems on my own until I got to Heat Transfer. I will go back and try all the problems on my own.

I've been studying about 5-7 hrs per week.

Unless you have a photographc memory or an IQ of 200 you need to start NOW!!! I studied for 6 months, 12-16 hrs a week and still felt unprepared (passed first try thank god). Dont put it off any longer or you may be kicking yourself in december.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should definitely start studying now for the October exam, which gives you about 3 1/2 to 4 months to study. I studied for about 12 hours a week for the first 6 weeks and then about doubled that for the last 6-8 weeks that I studied; about 250 hours total. I second Badal's opinion that I still did not feel prepared going into the exam but thankfully passed the first try. There is a lot of material to be covered, references to review and tab, etc. Do it right the first time, and hopefully you won't have to do it again! Read through the past posts too, I found a lot of helpful information in them, and of course ask questions if you have any, we're here to help.

I kind of started studying today by buying 2 calculators (Casio 115ES) and printing out the ASHRAE books from the PDF (have the book at work, but that paper is too thin to put tabs on etc.). I'll have them in 3-ring binders and assume that is NCEES conform (I'm in WI).

Next week I'll order the PPI material. the MERM and plenty of the sample tests including the one from the NCEES. I also hope to convince my workplace to buy the ASHRAE HVAC design manual since some recommended the Trane one for the test (but that is from 1996). I also still have the EIT Reference manual. not sure if that will be any help or will just be a paperweight.

I now start reading through the ASHRAE books and somehow mark up where the important things are. I'm not quite sure if all 4 books are necessary. the applications one doesn't seem to be needed. the Fundamentals, Refrigeration, and Systems one sure look like they are needed for the test.

I think I'll take a thermodynamics book to the test to have steam tables. Do you guys think more material is needed? I mean in tables, charts etc. I assume odd values will be provided in the question.

I think knowing the reference material where to find things and being proficient with the calculator is half the test.

I have a graduate degree in ME (energy systems) but that didn't include the elementary ME things as they appear in the test, I did everything in SI and with PC (EES etc.). My undergraduate degree is environmental engineering. At work i do a lot of stuff with the PC (BIM< TRACE etc.). so work experience is good, but won't help much for the test. So I'm a bit challenged doing it in IP and doing it the old-school BC (before computer) way. I know I should have started sooner, but I was in graduate school till May and didn't have the nerve to think of PE too much.

Any comment on study material, or reference material for the test is welcome. I don't think I'll take sample tests with me, that never helps and jsut clutters up my desk.

Actually I won't know before the 8/25 board meeting of the department of licensing if I can take the test. I'm just studying hoping I can. (I have a German undergraduate degree, long story, and WI doesn't acknowledge a WI graduate degree as equal..). but starting in September is too late.

HerrKaleun,

I think I used all 4 ASHRAE books during the exam. I didn't really study them, but had them handy during my studying and just tabbed things that looked useful along the way. I also printed out just the index so I wouldn't have to flip through the books during the exam (I also printed the MERM index which was extremely helpful). Read through some of the past message threads (or do a search) and I think you'll find a lot of helpful information about what books people found most useful (for studying and during the exam), what study materials are most helpful, etc. This is what I did and it helped me to form a good strategy for passing the exam. Good Luck!

Actually I won't know before the 8/25 board meeting of the department of licensing if I can take the test. I'm just studying hoping I can. (I have a German undergraduate degree, long story, and WI doesn't acknowledge a WI graduate degree as equal..). but starting in September is too late.
I was wondering if you got approved. I hope you do get approved and good luck!

I was wondering if you got approved. I hope you do get approved and good luck!
You are referring to my other thread

the department website shows I have all documents in and board will decide 8/25. but from a co-worker who didn't meet the experience requirements at that time, it looks the same (except for his said he was denied, but all documents are labeled in green as in complete).

I recently paid another $ 400 for an NCEES evaluation and waiting for all the documents to come to them. I hope they get it done before 8/25. when I sent in my application to the department, I included that old evaluation from 3 years ago and the email where they told me to get that. I also included my UW-Madison transcripts from grad school. Maybe that will help, or not. So I'm doing an (expensive) double strategy of both submitting my existing documents, and getting (another) evaluation hoping at least one will suffice on 8/25.

So, no not approved yet and won't know before September (it says they will let me know a week after the meeting). I still can appeal then, and will if they deny me. the bad thing then is, I still have to study full steam till September or even October without knowing f I can write the test.

If nothing else, I learn a lot about HVAC while doing this :)

I didn't mean to go off-topic... just answered a question...

I'm ordering the following books:

- Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam

- NCEES PE Mechanical Engineering Sample Questions and Solutions

- Six-Minute Solutions for Mechanical PE Exam HVAC and Refrigeration Problems

- Engineering Unit Conversions

Is there any benefit in ordering these?:

- 101 Solved Mechanical Engineering Problems (it says it has complex problems... this is fine, but is it beneficial for the test???)

- Practice Problems for the Mechanical Engineering PE Exam (this according to amazon reviewers is the solution manual for the MERM, but it looks like the actual questions are in MERM already, so I'm not sure if I need it)

Both have free shipping on amazon, so I'm not really losing when i order them separately later. the "101 problem book" also seems to be available used.

(i checked all other books, used they often are more expensive than new...)

In addition I use:

- all 4 ASHRAE books (have at work already)

- ASHRAE AC design manual (as opposed to the Trane one recommended, but the Trane one seemed to be from 1996)

Is anything needed or recommended? I don't want to get overwhelmed. I'm not taking sample exams to the test, only the actual reference books (MERM, ASHRAE).

Should I look into the EIT training manual at all? Will there be anything from the FE exam (i.e. derivations, etc.)

Edit:

what about this "Mechanical PE Sample Examination" I'm kind of getting the feeling many of the sample tests are not realistic based on the amazon reviews. Some are too SI-heavy, some way too difficult. any advice on which are the good sample exams besides the ones I already buy?

Hey Everyone,

I am starting to study by reading the chapters of MERM and working the practice problems after. I am pretty much following the exam review course format in the MERM intro.

Am I on the right track?

How are you guys going about it? Or how have you that passed studied for the exam?

Hey Everyone,I am starting to study by reading the chapters of MERM and working the practice problems after. I am pretty much following the exam review course format in the MERM intro.

Am I on the right track?

How are you guys going about it? Or how have you that passed studied for the exam?

my order of books (s. above) shipped to day. While waiting I'm reading through the ASHRAE books to be more familiar where is what. I also try to re-calculate the examples in ASHRAE fundamentals (just for fun, and to be more fluent with IP units). I think once I glanced at the MERM and the sample exams I'll have a better idea what to focus on.

- 101 Solved Mechanical Engineering Problems (it says it has complex problems... this is fine, but is it beneficial for the test???)

- Practice Problems for the Mechanical Engineering PE Exam (this according to amazon reviewers is the solution manual for the MERM, but it looks like the actual questions are in MERM already, so I'm not sure if I need it)

Both have free shipping on amazon, so I'm not really losing when i order them separately later. the "101 problem book" also seems to be available used.

In addition I use:

- ASHRAE AC design manual (as opposed to the Trane one recommended, but the Trane one seemed to be from 1996)

Is anything needed or recommended? I don't want to get overwhelmed. I'm not taking sample exams to the test, only the actual reference books (MERM, ASHRAE).

Should I look into the EIT training manual at all? Will there be anything from the FE exam (i.e. derivations, etc.)

Edit:

what about this "Mechanical PE Sample Examination" I'm kind of getting the feeling many of the sample tests are not realistic based on the amazon reviews. Some are too SI-heavy, some way too difficult. any advice on which are the good sample exams besides the ones I already buy?

I don't think you need the conversions book, as the common ones are on the inside cover of the MERM, and the rest are in the first appendix, and if you get the Casio 115fx (I think that was the #), it has built in conversions, which yes, I did use on the test.

My office had the 101 problems and solutions book in the office library, so I borrowed it and thought it was HORRIBLE. I started working the HVAC section, and thought the problems were extremely difficult and figured there was no way these could be answered in 6 min or be on the test, so I did not use this book. I think it's geared more towards the old essay style exam.

The MERM practice problems would be good. The questions were mostly longer than they could have on the test, but they are helpful and give more exposure. The MERM book has some (few) example problems and solutions in the book, but the questions and solutions are all in the practice book. Not question in MERM and answer in the practice problem book.

I don't think you want to use and EIT/FE books.

MY METHOD:

I started studying in February for the April exam, and I passed, the first time taking it, HVAC depth.

I first went through the entire MERM, about from chapter 15-58, then went through the practice problems (same chapters). This took about a month. I think I was trying for two chapters a day, but sometimes did more, and sometimes only like half a chapter.

I used the Lindeberg practice test as practice problems and worked through the morning and all the depths.

I used the NCEES practice test and worked through all the depths except my depth (HVAC).

About a 3 weeks out, I took a timed test (just like the real deal) using the NCEES sample test and my depth, the next day worked through the solutions of those I'd done wrong.

After I took the test, I got worried by my low score, and order the Six Min Solutions HVAC book, which I worked through probably 5 times before the test.

Reworked Lindeberg sample exam all depths about 2 more times, reworked the NCEES other depths a couple more times. Reworked many of the Practice Problems book questions, just picked those I thought I needed, but skipped many of the "one hour" problems.

Did the timed practice NCEES test again one week before the test.

Kept studying the last week, even the day before the test.

On the day of the test, I took the above mentioned books plus all the ASHRAE handbooks, the IMC, a binder with about 2 equations sheets, mostly fluids. I didn't take and didn't need a dictionary. I did use all 4 ASHRAE handbooks, and I'd recommend taking them. I don't think I used the IMC.

Also, I'm going to advertise that I have some books for sale posted on the yard sale board.

Mechgirl is pretty much spot on. I did use the Unit Conversions book and found it very helpful. I didn't know there were unit conversions in the Casio which I used, but I liked the convenience of the book and its set up so all you have to do is multiply by some factor to change units vs. trying to figure out if you have to multiply or divide... I spent the last few weeks before the exam really focusing on the NCEES exam and the 6 Minute Solutions; went through each about 3 or 4 times. I thought the test was harder than either of those personally, but they helped to build a good foundation so I wasn't that lost when I saw more difficult problems on the actual exam.

In addition I use:

Edit:

I don't think you need the conversions book, as the common ones are on the inside cover of the MERM, and the rest are in the first appendix, and if you get the Casio 115fx (I think that was the #), it has built in conversions, which yes, I did use on the test.

My office had the 101 problems and solutions book in the office library, so I borrowed it and thought it was HORRIBLE. I started working the HVAC section, and thought the problems were extremely difficult and figured there was no way these could be answered in 6 min or be on the test, so I did not use this book. I think it's geared more towards the old essay style exam.

The MERM practice problems would be good. The questions were mostly longer than they could have on the test, but they are helpful and give more exposure. The MERM book has some (few) example problems and solutions in the book, but the questions and solutions are all in the practice book. Not question in MERM and answer in the practice problem book.

I don't think you want to use and EIT/FE books.

MY METHOD:

I started studying in February for the April exam, and I passed, the first time taking it, HVAC depth.

I first went through the entire MERM, about from chapter 15-58, then went through the practice problems (same chapters). This took about a month. I think I was trying for two chapters a day, but sometimes did more, and sometimes only like half a chapter.

I used the Lindeberg practice test as practice problems and worked through the morning and all the depths.

I used the NCEES practice test and worked through all the depths except my depth (HVAC).

About a 3 weeks out, I took a timed test (just like the real deal) using the NCEES sample test and my depth, the next day worked through the solutions of those I'd done wrong.

After I took the test, I got worried by my low score, and order the Six Min Solutions HVAC book, which I worked through probably 5 times before the test.

Reworked Lindeberg sample exam all depths about 2 more times, reworked the NCEES other depths a couple more times. Reworked many of the Practice Problems book questions, just picked those I thought I needed, but skipped many of the "one hour" problems.

Did the timed practice NCEES test again one week before the test.

Kept studying the last week, even the day before the test.

On the day of the test, I took the above mentioned books plus all the ASHRAE handbooks, the IMC, a binder with about 2 equations sheets, mostly fluids. I didn't take and didn't need a dictionary. I did use all 4 ASHRAE handbooks, and I'd recommend taking them. I don't think I used the IMC.

Also, I'm going to advertise that I have some books for sale posted on the yard sale board.
Mechgirl,

Can you please provide the editions and names of the 4 ASHRAE handbooks

Your help is appreciated.

Mechgirl,
Can you please provide the editions and names of the 4 ASHRAE handbooks

Your help is appreciated.
I'm not Mechgirl but only a few letters off.

The 4 ASHRAE books are Fundamentals, Applications, Refrigeration and Systems & Equipment. I used the 1997-2000 editions (one of the four books is updated every year). You can buy the newer editions but they cost a lot more than older used editions, and the information is 90-95% the same from 10-15 years ago. It's enough to get you through the PE exam, but if you want the new ones for reference they're a good investment if you're an HVAC designer.

Mechgirl is pretty much spot on. I did use the Unit Conversions book and found it very helpful. I didn't know there were unit conversions in the Casio which I used, but I liked the convenience of the book and its set up so all you have to do is multiply by some factor to change units vs. trying to figure out if you have to multiply or divide... I spent the last few weeks before the exam really focusing on the NCEES exam and the 6 Minute Solutions; went through each about 3 or 4 times. I thought the test was harder than either of those personally, but they helped to build a good foundation so I wasn't that lost when I saw more difficult problems on the actual exam.
thanks Mechgirl too. I won't get the "101" book then.

about unit conversions: it might be weird to use the Casio conversion and I rather see what I'm doing. that unit conversion book has man many odd units that likely are not in normal books. Not that anyone needs them, but in a test you never know. It probably is a waste of money, but I have piece of mind.

I once had to take an entrance test for an engineering assistant position. That test likely was geared towards surveyors. anyway, I just had moved to the US and the test was pretty easy to do the calculations - except it had all oddball units. "links" etc. I never had heard of. So I never had a chance. Old Trauma... at that time I wasn't even fluent with how many ounces are in a pound etc. At work I do everything with some software, so the units don't really matter, grad school was in SI. The IP system uses every single conversion factor, except the number "10" :)

I used the most recent ASHRAE handbooks (mechguy listed the titles). If you're an ASHRAE member, they send you a new handbook every year. My company pays for two pro organization memberships per year, so I've always maintained my ASHRAE membership (but I think I've only attended 2 meetings). http://www.ashrae.org/publications/page/158 . If you're buying them new, make sure you get the IP edition for English units. Maybe you could borrow some from your office library? If you work as a consultant in the USA , you should have a copy of these.

I did use all four handbooks. Before the test, I tabbed topics and tables that I thought I would need.

Back