When to use the P.E.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txaggie04PE

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I have trouble putting P.E. behind my name on the signature of my email. I definately ordered new cards, but it just feels too pretentious. (is that the right word?) Maybe its because I have the least amount of experience of any of the engineers in my company and none of the older guys use the letters even though there are a couple of PEs out there.

Everyone in my industry uses them because a lot of people have to sign and seal plans. What I never understood was that people put F.E. after their name.

Use em if the person you're sending an email to would understand it ie an engineer, architect, contractor, etc.

But don't send your friends or family an email with "PE" on it

I signed an email -Bean PE after I got my results. It was to a friend, and we were discussing mountain biking.

I have not updated my work email signature and don't plan to as they have no intention of promoting me (or anyone else) to a PE position and as such, they will not benefit from it.

I signed an email -Bean PE after I got my results. It was to a friend, and we were discussing mountain biking.
I have not updated my work email signature and don't plan to as they have no intention of promoting me (or anyone else) to a PE position and as such, they will not benefit from it.
I have a different view I guess, just because the company will not benefit or promote you to a PE position doesnt mean you can't or shouldn't use the initials behind your name. The PE represents professional credentials you earned not a position your employer hands to you like in a promotion. I say you are promoting yourself and your own professional developement at the same time you are working for your current employer. While you may not be signing/sealing drawings everyday you have worked hard and earned the right to put the letters behind your name. Use if to market youself and network with potential employers, clients, colleagues with whom you may work with/for someday in the future.

I have a different view I guess, just because the company will not benefit or promote you to a PE position doesnt mean you can't or shouldn't use the initials behind your name. The PE represents professional credentials you earned not a position your employer hands to you like in a promotion. I say you are promoting yourself and your own professional developement at the same time you are working for your current employer. While you may not be signing/sealing drawings everyday you have worked hard and earned the right to put the letters behind your name. Use if to market youself and network with potential employers, clients, colleagues with whom you may work with/for someday in the future.
I've considered that, but I've also considered that it's unlikely that I'd want to work for anyone that I deal with here (ie, anyone who would see an email from my work account). My "new" boss was just made official mere moments ago (he's been acting for a while but finally gets the fatty raise) and I think he'll actually fight to some degree for us. The problem will be the three people above him (yes, our chain of command is insane), as at least two of the three are opposed to promotions of any sort for engineers a tthis time.

Oh well, I've got time to consider it and it probably won't matter a whole lot either way.

Long story short, I would strongly recommend putting a "PE" behind your name just because it is a hard earned license and you should be very proud of it.

Everyone in my industry uses them because a lot of people have to sign and seal plans. What I never understood was that people put F.E. after their name.
What is an "F.E."?!?
Really. If somebody puts FE after their name, they truly are an idiot. Now, if they put EIT after their name, it's completely acceptable.

PE is part of my signature on my work email, but none of my personal email accounts.

ngnrd said:
I used the EIT designation after my name on all formal documents I generated, but not on anything informal. Now I do the same with the PE designation. If it's important enough to put on letterhead, it's important enough to list my full earned credentials.
Same exact for me with the EIT and PE designations.

OP - You earned those two letters, use them!

Already using it here!

We earned it, so I think it's OK to display on biz cards and email signatures and other professional correspondence. It wasn't easy to get, so I say "fly the flag"..

Is it to much that I put P.E. after my name and then in

"(because I am smarter than you)"

I feel like that might be a little much...

Back