Ford Mustang GT or Camaro SS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dexman PE

I'm looking at getting a new car: Either the Camaro SS or the Mustang GT

Both would be fully loaded (GT Premium and SS2-RS) without Nav system. I'm looking at the dark grey metallic with black stripes and either the black or grey leather interior.

Mustang GT

4f068bd9a99edfdfc3c96b4137f4a4526e4fc1ce.jpg

Pros:

More comfortable ride

Good visibility

Price (compared to Camaro)

Aftermarket parts (better availability, more variety for upgrades)

Sound of V8 exhaust

Very quick for lack of HP (I think something like 400lb lighter than Camaro)

Cons:

100 less HP

5spd manual (vs 6spd in Camaro)

Its a Ford

The 5.0l 6spd version that fixes the first 2 cons isn't available until 2011 (higher price, but still comparable to SS)

Camaro

33462730001_large.jpg

Pros:

Styling

Smoother, quieter ride

More HP

6spd manual

Cons:

Harder seats

Horrible visibility from drivers seat

smaller back seat

smaller trunk

Right now I'm leaning towards the Mustang because it is much more comfortable and easier to drive in traffic, but is still a really sporty car. But it's still hard to pass up the styling, HP, and 6spd of the Camaro. I could always wait for the 2011 mustang to help with the HP and transmission issues, but I would lose out on the pricing side. If I got the Camaro, it would be a pre-order for a 2011, so I would get the options I really wanted too. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm looking at getting a new car: Either the Camaro SS or the Mustang GT
Both would be fully loaded (GT Premium and SS2-RS) without Nav system. I'm looking at the dark grey metallic with black stripes and either the black or grey leather interior.

Mustang GT

4f068bd9a99edfdfc3c96b4137f4a4526e4fc1ce.jpg

Pros:

More comfortable ride

Good visibility

Price (compared to Camaro)

Aftermarket parts (better availability, more variety for upgrades)

Sound of V8 exhaust

Very quick for lack of HP (I think something like 400lb lighter than Camaro)

Cons:

100 less HP

5spd manual (vs 6spd in Camaro)

Its a Ford

The 5.0l 6spd version that fixes the first 2 cons isn't available until 2011 (higher price, but still comparable to SS)

Camaro

33462730001_large.jpg

Pros:

Styling

Smoother, quieter ride

More HP

6spd manual

Cons:

Harder seats

Horrible visibility from drivers seat

smaller back seat

smaller trunk

Right now I'm leaning towards the Mustang because it is much more comfortable and easier to drive in traffic, but is still a really sporty car. But it's still hard to pass up the styling, HP, and 6spd of the Camaro. I could always wait for the 2011 mustang to help with the HP and transmission issues, but I would lose out on the pricing side. If I got the Camaro, it would be a pre-order for a 2011, so I would get the options I really wanted too. Thoughts?
From a die-hard GM guy... Pre-order the 2011 Mustang and be glad you did.

I am a GM guy too, but go with the Mustang spend the extra cash on a performance upgrade or two.

But I do like the look of the new Camaro.

I love the look of the Camaro. I would never get black interior. The seats will burn you.

From yet another GM guy: The Mustang is probably the better bet. For either car, I'd order a 2011 to get the options you want.

I was 100% sold on the Camaro before I drove it. Once I got inside and saw how poor the visibility was I wasn't so sure. I actually had to check up on several corners during the test drive because I couldn't see where I was going.

I think I might just hold off on buying anything until later this fall and go with a 2011 Mustang (maybe even order the one I want).

I love the look of the Camaro. I would never get black interior. The seats will burn you.
That's why I spend the extra $200 and get the windows tinted.

Last edited:
I think I'd go Camaro. Mustangs are all over place. Camaros not so much.

One's been out a lot longer than the other. I've seen more '10 Camaros than I have '10 Mustangs.

One's been out a lot longer than the other. I've seen more '10 Camaros than I have '10 Mustangs.
+1 I think there are 3-4 Camaros in my area, and I have only seen 1 '10 Mustang and I think he was just driving through.

The 2010 Mustang has received a few styling upgrades that make it easily recognizable, plus the interior for the '10 is much better than the '09.

And by saying I had to "check up during the test drive" I mean I could only go 60 instead of 70 in a 40mph zone...

Doing a little more research, if I wait for the 2011 Mustang GT it will have 415HP (advertised - 425 per some Dyno tests) and the 6spd manual transmission for only $2-3k more. Then if I can hold off a few more months, there may be some rebate/interest rate incentives to bring it back down again.

Looks like I'd be better off waiting a little while...

It's not a test drive unless the dealer shits himself in the back seat.

From the guy with three Chevies in the driveway, wait and order the 2011 Mustang.

It's the only way to test drive. If I can't at least get the salesman to tell me I'm liable for all speeding tickets, it's a failure.

It's the only way to test drive. If I can't at least get the salesman to tell me I'm liable for all speeding tickets, it's a failure.
When I test drove my MR2, I pushed it to almost 90mph in third gear on a side street. The only comment the salesman made was: "Third gear in this car is awesome, isn't it."

BLASPHEMY to all of you no good for nothing F*#Kers

CAMARO ALL THE WAY. There really is no comparison.

Plus, I don't know how you say Mustang has a smoother ride when the Camaro has independent rear suspension and the Mustang is still solid axle.

So coming from a true "GM guy", I could never advocate buying a mustang

:D

From a die-hard GM guy... Pre-order the 2011 Mustang and be glad you did.
I am a GM guy too, but go with the Mustang spend the extra cash on a performance upgrade or two.
But I do like the look of the new Camaro.
From yet another GM guy: The Mustang is probably the better bet. For either car, I'd order a 2011 to get the options you want.
From the guy with three Chevies in the driveway, wait and order the 2011 Mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back