July 4, 1976

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Where were you on the Bicentennial, and what did you do?

I was ten years old, and we returned from the beach to my uncle's place in ATL. The whole subdivision threw a party. There was a parade through the subdivision, and the first lawnmower race I ever saw. I actually almost wrecked my uncle's mower before it was raced by running it up the frame of the garage door.

We shot fireworks and had hamburgers and hotdogs on red, white and blue plates. Matter of fact, that was the color combo of the year, seems like.

I was born in '80 as well. If memory serves, a female is born with all the eggs she will ever have. It's the swimmers that have the short life span.

Correct me if I'm way off base here.

How do you like being 30 Ble?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born in '80 as well. If memory serves, a female is born with all the eggs she will ever have. It's the swimmers that have the short life span.
Correct me if I'm way off base here.

How do you like being 30 Ble?
Ask me in a few more months. I've been making fun of my friends that have already turned 30 but I know my time is coming.

How is 30 treating you?

I was an unfertilized egg floating around in an ovary at that point.
Prior to conception, I prefer to think of myself as having been a free-wheeling sperm, rather than an unfertilized egg. That's just me though. :dunno:

July 4, 1976 very well might have been the day I was concieved. Scary thought.

Capt, how is 31 worse than 30? I haven't found 31, 32, or 33 to be any different than 30, or 29, or 28 etc. for that matter.

The only thing that has really changed my life has been the kids. Maybe its just me but I sure don't feel 33.

I was 13....and don't remember a thing about it. I'm guessing I only had girls on my mind those days. Look where that got me, should have been thinking about the fireworks.

My mom was busy complaining how awful it was being pregnant with me during the hottest summer on record in East TN, and driving a '68 Mustang with no AC. Dang I wish they'd kept that car. It was midnight blue and full of chrome - gorgeous.

and that's my 25th post! hooray!

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom was busy complaining how awful it was being pregnant with me during the hottest summer on record in East TN, and driving a '68 Mustang with no AC. Dang I wish they'd kept that car. It was midnight blue and full of chrome - gorgeous.

Only quality, engineering based comments count toward the magic number of 25. Spam like this is omitted from your tally.

Only quality, engineering based comments count toward the magic number of 25. Spam like this is omitted from your tally.
I hope you're kidding....I think we may have to go back and look. I may not have 25 quality posts YET, and I'm an early member! lol

I think my Mom still has my gap-toothed Bicentennial-themed grade school picture from that year. I remember the photographer got really mad at me because I wouldn't stop ringing the little Liberty Bell prop they gave us.

Also I remember that we finally got the illustrious Jimmy Carter in the White House and now there was going to be some Hope and Change by-golly (especially with that winner Mondale by his side).

I was 3, hanging out in Virginia while dad was in the Navy, I spent a lot of time staring at the toaster and wishing things would jump out of it..

Back