Diagnostic Reports - Failed Grades

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob8rich

Reaction score
Some states do the right thing and reveal scores.

Although it is an NCEES policy for NCEES to not do so. But NCEES has to give the state boards the grades. And some state boards give out the grades. If you fail, you can take your diagnostic report, along with your grade, and calculate exactly the number of right/wrong answers you got for each category of questions.

One engineerboards.com member erroneously said, "People with 52, 53, 54, 55, and 56 ALL got the same 69." Well, ... He is wrong!

I would like to poll all members who have failed the PE, received their grade, and compared it to the diagnostic, to "Reply" to this post with your own experience.

" A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument."

One engineerboards.com member erroneously said, "People with 52, 53, 54, 55, and 56 ALL got the same 69." Well, ... He is wrong!
I would like to poll all members who have failed the PE, received their grade, and compared it to the diagnostic, to "Reply" to this post with your own experience.
So, you have managed to prove your hypothesis before testing it? That's some fancy use of the scientific method.

So, you have managed to prove your hypothesis before testing it? That's some fancy use of the scientific method.
Ouch, Wilheldp_PE! Please take it easy on us mortals who have not yet received their PE.

I have two failed grades. A 63 and a 69. Very, very, mortal! I also have two diagnostic reports from the great state of Texas.

With 43 correct answers I received a 63.

With 45 correct answers I received a 69.

I also have five fellow mechanical engineering examinees who I took a review course with, who also failed once. Their scores range from low sixties to a 69.

Consider the hypothesis tested. A larger sampling is necessary, though.

Ouch, Wilheldp_PE! Please take it easy on us mortals who have not yet received their PE.
I found bob's initial post to be a little confrontational with a long-established member of this forum. Such confrontations are usually to be avoided by n00bs.

Easy everybody!

The wait is getting tougher. Let's not worry about cut scores. I agree with those making the statement that we shouldn't be focused on narrowly passing. Study like you want a hundred and hope for the cut of 70%..

Good Luck

I found bob's initial post to be a little confrontational with a long-established member of this forum. Such confrontations are usually to be avoided by n00bs.
The wait is getting to me! I sincerely apologize. This is a great board and I do not wish to introduce negative feelings

Again, I apologize.

It does sting to receive a 69. I only wanted to restore hope to those, like me, who made a 69. I am close.

For someone to say that everyone who fails gets a 69, no matter how many/few correct answers, is a little insensitive.

Congratulations to all who have passed, and good luck to those who are still waiting!

And to those who failed, no matter what the grade, never give up!

Rob8rich, I am with you. I don't think everyone who fails gets 69 as my score was 67 and I hope I don't (as a matter of fact no one) experience(s) that again.

For someone to say that everyone who fails gets a 69, no matter how many/few correct answers, is a little insensitive.
He didn't say everyone who fails gets a 69, he said that people have gotten a 69 with several different numbers of correct answers. And I don't really see what's "insensitive" about it.

He didn't say everyone who fails gets a 69, he said that people have gotten a 69 with several different numbers of correct answers. And I don't really see what's "insensitive" about it.
That happens because of different tests for different disciplines. If you compare apples to apples, the only difference in scores to correct answers would be due to rounding. That would only be a difference of one correct answer.

In other words, if two ME-ThFluids both received a score of 69, their difference in correct answers would be the same or off by only one.

That's all.

My point here is to collect some hard data, other than my own personal experience. That data must come from those who have had the experience of failing and comparing that to their diagnostic. Those who have not had that experience will not have any data to add.

lol, (really)

What value do you get out of trying to figure out a cut score? Wouldn't it make sense to assume that if you get a 69 you're close, a 60 you're not, and either way, put the effort in to studying and trying to do better next time around by focusing on your weak areas, rather than trying to determine how many questions you missed it by?

I agree with Bean and others that figuring out the cut score doesn't matter whatsoever. Take it from a guy who recieved a 69 twice in a row before figuring it out.

You need to study with the full intention of acing the test. That way you'll be sure to make whatever the cut score is.

If you put in any less effort than that, your ability to pass is compromised.

As I've said in previous posts -- you need to study "ballzout." There is no other way.

What value do you get out of trying to figure out a cut score? Wouldn't it make sense to assume that if you get a 69 you're close, a 60 you're not, and either way, put the effort in to studying and trying to do better next time around by focusing on your weak areas, rather than trying to determine how many questions you missed it by?
I totally agree with your wisdom (both Bean and Mechguy), and it is also what I have done.

I just like to analyze data (I’m weird like that). It also helps to pass the time while waiting for the results.

I am going crazy here, and if I did not pass this time, ... I don’t know how well I will deal with it.

I am a pretty old guy compared to most potential PEs. I am almost out of time (literally).

I agree with Bean and others that figuring out the cut score doesn't matter whatsoever. Take it from a guy who recieved a 69 twice in a row before figuring it out.You need to study with the full intention of acing the test. That way you'll be sure to make whatever the cut score is.

If you put in any less effort than that, your ability to pass is compromised.

As I've said in previous posts -- you need to study "ballzout." There is no other way.

+1.

You got to aim high to "pass". Aiming to pass the exam like it will be the last.

Though its difficult because of time where you really need to spend a lot and sacrifice some for

family, work and others.

I think the acceptable reason to know the cutscore is for waiting the result and would like to know if will likely pass or fail. I did aim high (ME thermal) but feel I'm 50/50 because of difficulty of afternoon exam (lot of unexpected probs.).

And its interesting also for me (who wait for results here in ca) if i'm likely pass or fail based on others scores or knowing cutscore. Knowing it is kinda comforting while waiting.

But only ncees knows it so we just have to accept "pass or fail" and wait.

But for those who will take the exam, aim high, study hard, and expect the worse.

Congrats, must be a relief!

Now if only CO would get the results out.

Back