Pass PE Exam = Licensed?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzy555

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am too tried of waiting for the PE exam results (in Michigan).

While we wait, I have a question. I see many equating passing the test to being licensed. Talk is about finding one's name in the PE database after passing. Aren't there a few extra steps, like providing reference letters etc. before actually begin licensed?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,
I am too tried of waiting for the PE exam results (in Michigan).

While we wait, I have a question. I see many equating passing the test to being licensed. Talk is about finding one's name in the PE database after passing. Aren't there a few extra steps, like providing reference letters etc. before actually begin licensed?

Thanks!
I California I did all that before they let even me take the test. My test fee even covered my first six months license fee. Michigan may be different.

Thanks for the replies!

It turns out, in Michigan, it is different. Here is what it says on the DELEG web page:

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-...14639--,00.html

"Exam grades are released approximately 4 months after the exam is administered and will be mailed directly to the candidate from NCEES along with the Application for Professional Engineer's License and the Five Experience Verification Forms (BCS/LEN-021). Once all the material is compiled in your file, the application will be reviewed for licensure."

Wow, that sounds kinda backward.

Congrats, you passed the test! Oh, wait, you don't have the experience to be licensed and your references are spotty.

What happens then?

I sent in all my materials to the Vermont PE Board, they approved me to take the test, then I went to ELSES and registered. When I passed and saw I was assigned a number in the state database, I figured I was licensed.

Wow, that sounds kinda backward.
this is very true. I have no idea why the MI PE Board is this way, the PS board is certainly not. For the PS, you have to apply to sit for the exam, get all your refs / exp in and all that so; that when you get your pass letter, your license is scarcely a week after that. It makes no sense as to why the PE process [in MI] is so backasswards :dunno: He likely won't be actually 'licensed' until Fall (if he passes - good luck!)

Probably because it saves them a lot of time/money. Review before, and you have to review EVERYONE's references/experience requirements/etc. Review after, and you only have to take a look at those who actually passed. So you're weeding out what, at least 40% or better?

Probably because it saves them a lot of time/money. Review before, and you have to review EVERYONE's references/experience requirements/etc. Review after, and you only have to take a look at those who actually passed. So you're weeding out what, at least 40% or better?

I thought the same thing when I discovered that state does it that way. But why are all of the other states review first, exam last?

I thought the same thing when I discovered that state does it that way. But why are all of the other states review first, exam last?
Probably as a liablity precaution. They have to check to see if you are actually 'worthy' of being a licensed PE. If they let you take (and pass) the exam first, you could easily say that your application is worthless because you have already demonstrated the "minimum level of competency" to be a licensed engineer since that's what the exam is testing you for.

Probably as a liablity precaution. They have to check to see if you are actually 'worthy' of being a licensed PE. If they let you take (and pass) the exam first, you could easily say that your application is worthless because you have already demonstrated the "minimum level of competency" to be a licensed engineer since that's what the exam is testing you for.
I agree. So what good reason would Michigan have to do it the way they do?

I agree. So what good reason would Michigan have to do it the way they do?
Probably like what's been said above concerning efficiency. They only have to review the applications for people who pass instead of needing to review every applicaiton

Funny.... I passed the PE exam. yay..

Now i am collecting 5 references, three of which are supposed to be licensed in Michigan at the time they have worked with me... Turns out 4 of my five reference have licenses in other states and 3 of them had it lapse (i am in academia). I hope it will work out ok. :(

^ Hmmm, interesting way of operating.

If I ever move to Michigan, I'm just going to show up at a engineering company one day, sit down and start working away on a computer at a desk, and fill out the application after lunch. By the same method, it should work right?

If I ever move to Michigan, I'm just going to show up at a engineering company one day, sit down and start working away on a computer at a desk, and fill out the application after lunch. By the same method, it should work right?
Would that be like licensure by induction, convection or concoction?

Oh wait - superposition!?

you may be on to something there...i might have to try that - but absolutely no stamping till after I fill out the app (unless fatty $$, which should come first too)

Back