# of Hours of study & prep - Page 3 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
cdcengineer

# of Hours of study & prep

I would love to see an update on this thread. Anybody care to share how many hours they studied and their outcome?

30 minutes ago, civilrobot said:

I would love to see an update on this thread. Anybody care to share how many hours they studied and their outcome?

Well April 2019 hasn't be released so you won't get an update from that group yet

But the Engineering Pro Guides has stats in the front of it. @justin-hawaii do you have those values handy? 

I think it's around 200-300 hours is the sweet spot. 

• Like 2

I think I have spent more time on this forum, than studying for the exam

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Atf TX said:

I think I have spent more time on this forum, than studying for the exam

First thing I thought of lol.

I quit counting after the first like 50 hours but I'd say around 200 taking into account 84 for School of PE.

Waiting on results for Civil: Transpo🤞

148 hours for, waiting on Electrical: Power.

I tracked it, saved 1$ for every hour.

So perhaps I can dial back on my schedule. I'm sitting at 419 hours. My husband says it's too much but he's not an engineer. He's comp sci. I've been out of school for 15 years so I'm anxious, if you can't tell. I can definitely adjust it down to 250.

Edited by civilrobot

6 minutes ago, civilrobot said:

So perhaps I can dial back on my schedule. I'm sitting at 419 hours. My husband says it's too much but he's not an engineer. He's comp sci. I've been out of school for 15 years so I'm anxious, if you can't tell. I can definitely adjust it down to 250.

How much of the text topics do you deal with often? If it's a lot of them, then 419 hours is likely overkill. If it's not a lot, 419 hours might still be overkill but 300 hours might not be... 

I just did some approximate math (I didn't track study hours at the time). I signed up late in the game and had exactly 63 days to prep. I did 8 hour days on most weekends, and about an average of 2 hours per weekday (had a full time job). Adding that up I'm right around the 200 hour mark for studying. It was my first time taking it, power PE, and I passed. I was out of school ~4 years at the time. I wrote up a whole detailed report of my approach and methods on a website. Let me know if you have questions. Good luck!

Edited by ItsStudyTime!
updating to correct URL

Updated: Passed first try (ME TFS in CA)

ME TFS here:

I spent about ~30 hours and this might be less time than most of other exam takers. This is because

1. I had a chance to go over undergrad stuff about 10 years ago when I was in a grad school. I had to study for phd prelim exam, which covers wide range of topics in thermo, fluid, heat transfer, and others. Compared to what I studied for the prelim, PE exam questions were much easier.

2. I also did teaching assistant for undergrad thermodynamics courses at least for 2 years, which is a core subject of ME PE exam. In fact, I brought my own thermo summary that I made for undergrad kids for PE exam and it was really helpful.

So it was not because I am smart but because I already spent a lot more time than most of others on the topics even though it was long time ago. I just solved NCEES practice exam questions and few problems from MERM to refresh my memory. For me, MERM is overkill. It has lots of details that often beyond level of difficulties that I saw during exam. NCEES practice exam was very reasonable simulation of real exam in terms of difficulty and topics of questions

Edited by MEPEPHD
  • Like 1

Just now, LyceeFruit said:

How much of the text topics do you deal with often? If it's a lot of them, then 419 hours is likely overkill. If it's not a lot, 419 hours might still be overkill but 300 hours might not be... 

I deal with scenarios involving Transportation, Construction Methods and Management, and Geotechnical on a daily basis. I am not a designer but I'm pretty comfortable with the math. It's like riding a bike. lol 

1 hour ago, LyceeFruit said:

Well April 2019 hasn't be released so you won't get an update from that group yet

But the Engineering Pro Guides has stats in the front of it. @justin-hawaii do you have those values handy? 

I think it's around 200-300 hours is the sweet spot. 

I Agree!!

I'm 14 years out of school took, took it last month, spent 250-300 hours studying, feeling confident I did well.

ME-TFS.  Results still pending.  I did an hour a day for about 3 months.  Usually 2-4 hours on Saturdays.  That turns into just over 100 hours I think.  Overall, I feel comfortable with my performance on the exam.  Just waiting for validation.  Though I am only about 2 years out of university, so pretty much everything was still fresh in my head.

• Like 2

ME TFS.  Studied around 300 hours.  Results TBD.

• Like 1

9 years out, 300+, passed first time

People who put in 50 hrs and pass are called smart people.  I’m not smart enough to pass with only a few hours, but I’m not dumb enough to take that test twice. 

Regardless of what anyone tells you, there is no substitute for hard work and sacrifice.  

• Like 1

148 hours is not enough. 

• Like 1

I studied prob ~100 hours for April 2018 exam, passed first try. I was 5 years out of undergrad and have a master's in CE as well.

13 years out; 12 years structural experience in a very niche market; studied close to 400 hrs (including School of PE, multiple practice exams, etc.). Took the PE Civil Structural depth last month in Alabama and received my results today: passed! All that studying paid off. Best of luck to everyone still waiting for their results.

• Like 1

Taken it 5x now across 2 disciplines and come up a few questions short every time. With my work and family schedule it's been impossible to squeeze in more than 60 hours, usually more in line with 30-40. I was counting on a cumulative effect, that hasn't proven accurate. Frustrating to spend so much time on topics that don't pertain to my job at all...but those are the topics I'm constantly short in so either I study them or I'm never going to be a PE.

I'm thinking I'm going to take a break on the exam until I can dedicate closer to 200 hours. 

• Like 1

Little over 200 hours for April 2011 exam.  Plowed through the morning in about 2 hours, afternoon took 3.5.  Afterwards went straight to the bar for a couple shots of Jameson and several bottles of Killian's as chasers.

Took it Texas- machine design passed it first time

hit around 300 hours of studying and reading every tips/thread on this damn forum lol

• Like 1

I feel like this is kind of a silly question, because it varies per person. In my opinion, study your ass off. Study as many hours as it takes to feel confident about all of the subjects. I took EET and would highly recommend it. They get you on the right path and give you the tools necessary to study the right material, as well as hundreds of practice problems and quizzes. Im not sure how many hours i studied, but I can one thing, say coming out of the exam feeling confident was worth every minute I set at the dining room table with my head in the books.

Edited by eNgINeEr_93
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, civilrobot said:

Did you take it this time around? If so,  how did you do?

9 years out of school, studied (read the MERM and watched youtube videos of problems being solved) 20 hrs and took the 8hr practice exam.  passed HVAC first try.  buy/rent/barrow/steal ALL 4 ASHRAE books.

• Like 1