Any Horror Stories?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bman

Reaction score
Thankfully, I don't, but when I was waiting to get checked back in for the afternoon session I heard one. Definitely something to watch out for...

Anyway, I was standing next to a couple of guys waiting to get checked back in for the afternoon session an this guy was saying that towards the end of the morning session, he had his answer sheet under one of his reference books and went to slide it out from under the book. Well apparently those nice dark pencil circles that he had filled in smeared all over the sheet when he slid it out from under the book. He said he spent about 15 minutes carefully erasing all of the smear marks and filling some of the answers back in. If I were him, I think I would request a review if I got a F in the mail as I think the scantron is going to hiccup on that answer sheet!

Thankfully, I don't, but when I was waiting to get checked back in for the afternoon session I heard one. Definitely something to watch out for...
Anyway, I was standing next to a couple of guys waiting to get checked back in for the afternoon session an this guy was saying that towards the end of the morning session, he had his answer sheet under one of his reference books and went to slide it out from under the book. Well apparently those nice dark pencil circles that he had filled in smeared all over the sheet when he slid it out from under the book. He said he spent about 15 minutes carefully erasing all of the smear marks and filling some of the answers back in. If I were him, I think I would request a review if I got a F in the mail as I think the scantron is going to hiccup on that answer sheet!
I am 50/50 on whether or not I filled in the bubble corresponding to the depth section I took. I just can't remember if I did. Hopefully NCEES will look in my booklet to see where I did my work. It shouldn't be too big of a deal.

My horror story (and I've posted it elsewhere on the forum) is that during the afternoon session, one of the proctors took my answer sheet. I had no idea it happened. I was working along diligently and I went to fill in one of my answers and my answer sheet was gone. After searching through my books and looking on the floor and searching through my books again, I called a proctor over and told him I had lost my answer sheet. He looked down at my table and saw a questionnaire that we had to fill out during our lunch break. He said "ah" and picked it up and walked back to his table. He then proceeded to go through a huge stack of probably 100 or so questionnaires. He had picked up my answer sheet instead of my questionnaire. When he finally found my answer sheet, he brought it back to me, patted me on the back and said "sorry about that." Without a HINT of actually being sorry. I think they have no idea how stressful this exam is or how much preparation we put into it. I don't know how much time I lost trying to get my answer sheet and then trying to get my heart rate back to normal.

Closest thing to a horror story for me was that I was wearing carpenter jeans. I typically have my cell phone in my leg pocket. I have never turned on the ringer for my phone (it's always on vibrate mode), so about 5 minutes before the exam started, my leg began to vibrate. I had completely forgotten to leave my cellphone in the car. Luckily, the proctor came over and held onto it for me and gave it back at lunch with no problems.

My horror story: As I sat there at my desk unpacking my books I realized that I had forgotten my watch, and there were no clocks on the wall, after I got over that mild annoyance I realized that I had left my EERM book at home, the book was tabbed, highlighted and I was completely familiar with it, once I got done cursing myself and accepted the fact that the book wasnt gonna magically appear in my suitcase I was okay (a few breathing exercises helped also lol).

^
vader-fail1.jpg

My father was slaughtered by a sixfingered man.

He was a great swordmaker, my father. And when the six-fingered man appeared and requested a special sword, my father took the job. He slaved a year before he was done. The six-fingered man returned and demanded it, but at one-tenth his promised price. My father refused. Without a word, the six-fingered man slashed him through the heart.

My father was slaughtered by a sixfingered man. He was a great swordmaker, my father. And when the six-fingered man appeared and requested a special sword, my father took the job. He slaved a year before he was done. The six-fingered man returned and demanded it, but at one-tenth his promised price. My father refused. Without a word, the six-fingered man slashed him through the heart.

Wow, and I thought the guy who forgot his EERM had it bad!

My father was slaughtered by a sixfingered man. He was a great swordmaker, my father. And when the six-fingered man appeared and requested a special sword, my father took the job. He slaved a year before he was done. The six-fingered man returned and demanded it, but at one-tenth his promised price. My father refused. Without a word, the six-fingered man slashed him through the heart.
So when you find this man, what are you gonna say to him?

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. " Mandy Patinkin , The Princess Bride! Excellent!

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. "
Your father was killed by a six fingered man also?

I am 50/50 on whether or not I filled in the bubble corresponding to the depth section I took. I just can't remember if I did. Hopefully NCEES will look in my booklet to see where I did my work. It shouldn't be too big of a deal.
Bad news: they won't look at your booklet.

2qld6wn.jpg

Almost a horror story for a fellow tester: We had finished the CA Seisimic exam in the morning and I was sitting at a picnic table with this other woman and man studying for the surveying, the man walked off with his dufflebag of books and his calculator dropped on the ground, and the woman and myself did not notice. The woman left, and I kept studying and this guy walks by and says "hey is that your calculator". I picked it up and luckily found the owner, among the hundreds of people. He was sure to sit in on the exam, open his duffle bag, and not have a calculator. Unusally he did'nt seem really suprised and thankful, when I gave it back, but he did thank me.

I actually did that on my SAT's back in high school. Whoops!

Back