Three Floyd's "Dark Lord Day 2010"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awdturboiv

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you beer enthusiasts out there plan on attending the event this year...

Dark Lord Day 2010 takes place on Sat, April 24th.

http://www.darklordday.com/

Dark Lord Day is the only day of the year to buy Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial stout. DLD is a festival where participants can meet other beer enthusiasts, sample beers from all over the world, buy Dark Lord, try Oak Aged Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, eat BBQ, listen to live music, and generally have a great time.

Do you have your "Golden Ticket(s)"?

Discuss...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say I think the whole DLD and Dark Lord stuff is all hype and full of sh!t. I don't like Impy Stouts and beers that are so "rare" that you have to have golden tickets to be allowed in line to get the chance to by 6 beers at outrageous prices with 1/2 or more of the buyers being douchbags selling them on ebay is just not worth it.

Beers like DL are only "super awesome god like good" as long as they are "rare", as soon as production is expanded to make enough to distribute it the "rareness" goes away and the beer becomes "mediocre". All you need to do is look at the beers on BeerAdvocates tops beers to understand this. Pliny the Elder is a top ranking beer, but its dropped in rankings ever since it has been mass distributed to stores across the country. Same with Blind Pig and Arrogant *******.

I know at least 20 people that are going to DLD 2010, and between them, they have over 60 Golden Tickets. That being said, I will not be among them. It does sound like a really cool beer festival, and I would enjoy the atmosphere. But I had a Dark Lord 2009 from one of the guys that goes every year, and it was near the bottom of my beer rankings. It says right on the label that one of the dominant flavors is "burn fruit", and it lives up to that promise. It took me a while to finish that 22 oz. beer. One thing I can give it credit for, though, is that one beer got me pretty **** drunk. The ABV is through the roof.

mmmmmmm...

...burnt fruit

drooling_homer-261x300.png

I have to admit I am a little biased; possibly due the brewery being located right down the road. That being said, I enjoy many different types of beers and RIS is not my cup of tea either. I prefer a good IPA any day and while visiting the brewpub, I usually drink their guest beers on tap. Dark Lord is a special brew however, especially the variations they do not bottle. You better believe I'll buy my limit and enjoy throughout the year for those special occasions. Although I do not completely agree with the "Golden Ticket" idea, the brewery/event has become so popular, 3F had to do something.

Of course there are problems with mass produced beers that effect their "ratings," but I personally pay little attention to avid beer nerd reviews, whether it be ratebeer, beeradvocate, etc...

That all being said, maybe some people will chime in who are actually going to the event; knowing it is not all about the DL. You get to meet so many different people, enjoy great food, beer, music and surprising no rif raf.

Rumor has it....this year's DL will be 15% ABV and a whopping 700 calories/bottle!

Back