Estimating Quantities/Costs + Scheduling

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barracus79

Reaction score
The latest Construction depth Exam specifications notes that the largest portions of the exam will be:

17.5% - Estimating Quantities and Takeoffs (quantity take-off, cost estimating, engineering economics)

17.5% - Scheduling (sequencing, CPM network analysis, activity time analysis, resource scheduling and time-cost trade-off)

What study materials have most found helpful for these topics?

I have not registered for the PE exam yet, nor do I have any materials/books at the moment. I am planning on doing so later this year or perhaps early next year, but I am trying to learn as much as I can now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried Google search engine? Just copy and past what you entered above, you will find a ton of stuff out there.

have you tried Google search engine? Just copy and past what you entered above, you will find a ton of stuff out there.
Nunnaly's book, "Construction Methods and Management" does a great job of going through it. If you aren't taking the exam until next time though I would recommend waiting until July/ August when the lucky passers (hopefully me included) are selling all of their stuff. It is a whole lot better than buying new.

A good place to start is the NCEES recommended references, and they list reference for some of the problems in the construction section of their sample exam. I would take a look at these first since they will be what they are using to make up the exam and you can see what type of problem they are asking using that reference. Its not too early to start since the references are expensive, a good time will be after the april exam when alot will come up for sale.

There's actually quite a bit of info on this in the CERM. Trust me, it's there (at least in the 10th edition). If you're not familiar with these concepts through experience, I would definately recommend pulling some of the NCEES recommended references.

Back