Civil PE in need of a job

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shree

Project Manager
Reaction score
Dear Board Members,

I am a Civil PE, presently seeking a civil engineer position and willing to relocate to any place within United States

I've been working progressively for over 6 years in the civil engineering feild, specializing in the disciplines of water resources engineering & management, drainage & storm water management, residential subdivision design, land and site development, commercial and public works projects. More specifically, my technical experience includes watershed modeling, hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, design of storm water conveyance systems & flood control facilities.

Thank you in advance for your valuable suggestions.

Dear Board Members,
I am a Civil PE, presently seeking a civil engineer position and willing to relocate to any place within United States

I've been working progressively for over 6 years in the civil engineering feild, specializing in the disciplines of water resources engineering & management, drainage & storm water management, residential subdivision design, land and site development, commercial and public works projects. More specifically, my technical experience includes watershed modeling, hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, design of storm water conveyance systems & flood control facilities.

You should try looking in the Sacramento area. Water Resources in the Central Valley has proven to be a long-lasting career opportunity because of all of the flood control and water supply requirements in this part of the state. Land development is dead, so I would stay away from that.

Good luck!

The majority of open positions here in Denver are for water resources/hydraulics/hydrology. Haven't seen many postings for anything other than that.

Dear Board Members,

You should try looking in the Sacramento area. Water Resources in the Central Valley has proven to be a long-lasting career opportunity because of all of the flood control and water supply requirements in this part of the state. Land development is dead, so I would stay away from that.

Good luck!
Thanks for your valuble suggestions.

I went through the same thing last May and finally had to relocate to Virginia from NC.... Here are some things I did to market myself and get in the door with a few companies.

1. get some personal business cards made... name , address, phone number, credentials (PE. EIT LEED, etc.), Online resume (see #4) and Organizations (ASCE, APWA, etc.) to hand out at fairs/ conventions/ trade shows. You can search online for business card firms. I paid like $50 for 250. - more than enough.

2. Go to as many conventions, meetings, seminars, classes.... anything where you are socially around other engineers. Introduce yourself to EVERYONE. Hand out your business card to EVERYONE.

3. GET ON TWITTER! I know it sounds lame but that's one way that civil engineering jobs COME TO YOU with little work. Check in once a day - once a week - once an hour - whatever. Most of the professional organizations (ASCE, AWPA, IRWA, etc) all have accounts - even check with your old college ... some have accounts that will randomly post news about positions that are open for engineers (specifically look for alumni, jobs, engineering). There's one specifically that I follow that has a dozen or so Civil jobs a day posted it's called " @GetCivEnginJobs " . They are a great resource.

4. Go to a blog website and create an ONLINE resume. I used www.wordpress.com I'd rather not put my name on this board but if you PM me then I'll give you the address. it' totally free! This way you can put it on your twitter account so that people on twitter can look up your resume, Put it on your business cards....

5. As a complete sidebar note: There's a ton of WR engineers needed in the DC area and all surrounding counties... check their gov't websites.

6. Also, check the organizations that you belong to - alot of them have job postings on their websites. APWA for example has TONS

7. Finally - check in with your college's career center. You paid them a ton of $$ - their work doesn't stop when you graduate... Pull in some ROI off of what you paid them all those years ago.

Best of luck and if you have any questions or want some clarification please feel free to send me a PM...

Back