All-in-One Civil PE Exam Guide by Indranil Goswami

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone use this book for the PE test? What do you think of it?
I used it and I highly recommend it. I answered 75% of the questions in the morning and afternoon (transpo) exams using this book alone. For transpo, it was a time-saver because there were tables to look up answers rather than plugging equations, but you should still know how the equation works.

I don't think I would have answered the questions as quickly and passed the PE on the first try without this book.

Good luck!

I used it and I highly recommend it. I answered 75% of the questions in the morning and afternoon (transpo) exams using this book alone. For transpo, it was a time-saver because there were tables to look up answers rather than plugging equations, but you should still know how the equation works.

I don't think I would have answered the questions as quickly and passed the PE on the first try without this book.

Good luck!
Did you use the CERM as well? Also, I'm taking the structures afternoon so I'm not sure if I need this book.

I just bought a copy on Amazon for $68.00, have not gotten it yet.

I was looking at that copy. I wonder of the book is updated for the structural depth of the exam. Too bad we can’t view the contents of the book. Please let us know what you think about the book.

I was looking at that copy. I wonder of the book is updated for the structural depth of the exam. Too bad we can’t view the contents of the book. Please let us know what you think about the book.
I have taken the "Test" 3 times now, and I am not bragging, but after reading this book for 1 1/2 days, I wish I had it on the first time I took the exam. I am very impressed with the layout and ease of locating info. Will let you know better in 3 months, that is when I should get my results back from VT.

I have taken the "Test" 3 times now, and I am not bragging, but after reading this book for 1 1/2 days, I wish I had it on the first time I took the exam. I am very impressed with the layout and ease of locating info. Will let you know better in 3 months, that is when I should get my results back from VT.
Which depth are you taken? Does this book have the updated AASHTO code?

Good luck!
Did you use the CERM as well? Also, I'm taking the structures afternoon so I'm not sure if I need this book.
I used CERM and Goswami's book and that was all I needed for the breadth exam. I can't provide a true testimonial other than how it helped me with the transportation depth. The title of the book says it all, and it can be a time-saver during the exam.

As for AASHTO compliance, you should bring the manuals regardless. Most questions are testing one's critical thinking and analytical skills, but there are some questions that are directly from the manuals. Use the test plan provided by NCEES and don't stray from it.

My internet search has revealed several sources to assist examinees. Which ones have you found the most useful? In my opinion the PPI offers a good value for money and the ASCE webminars appear to offer excellent experts delivering lectures on areas most likely to be encountered during the exam. Among the books, the one my Indranil Goswami and Michael Lindeburg seem to do the job. Any opinions^

1) 2009 Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth McGraw-Hill Professional Indranil Goswami

2) 2007 Civil Engineering Environmental Problems for the PE Exam (Pe Exam Preparation) Harry Harbold

3) 2008 Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exm Professional Publications Michael R. Lindeburg

4) 2008 Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual Michael R. Lindeburg

5) 2008 Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems R. Wane Schneiter

6) 2003 Environmental Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam, Second Edition Michael R. Lindeburg

7) 2003 Practice Problems for the Environmental Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Environmental Engineering Reference Manual(2nd Edition) Michael R. Lindeburg

8) 2008 Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems R. Wane Schneiter

9) 2010 Core Engineering Concepts for Students and Professionals (CORE) Michael R. Lindeburg

10) Civil Engineering PE Learning System Kaplan

The following bodies offer online test preps, expert advice.

11) 2010 Mgi Exam readiness for $400 - $700 ( http://www.mgi.org/PROFESSIONAL_ENGINEEREXAM.SHTML_

12) 2010 PPI reference guides and expert help for $725 ( http://ppi2pass.com/ppi/PPIShop?ct=CIVIL&a...7&pr=PZCEFP )

13) 2010 PE Review Exam Prep for $750 ( http://www.pereview.net/ )

14) ASCE exam review for $1995 ( http://www.asce.org/files/pdf/conted/pereviewfall06.pdf )

My internet search has revealed several sources to assist examinees. Which ones have you found the most useful? In my opinion the PPI offers a good value for money and the ASCE webminars appear to offer excellent experts delivering lectures on areas most likely to be encountered during the exam. Among the books, the one my Indranil Goswami and Michael Lindeburg seem to do the job. Any opinions^
1) 2009 Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth McGraw-Hill Professional Indranil Goswami

2) 2007 Civil Engineering Environmental Problems for the PE Exam (Pe Exam Preparation) Harry Harbold

3) 2008 Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exm Professional Publications Michael R. Lindeburg

4) 2008 Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual Michael R. Lindeburg

5) 2008 Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems R. Wane Schneiter

6) 2003 Environmental Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam, Second Edition Michael R. Lindeburg

7) 2003 Practice Problems for the Environmental Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Environmental Engineering Reference Manual(2nd Edition) Michael R. Lindeburg

8) 2008 Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems R. Wane Schneiter

9) 2010 Core Engineering Concepts for Students and Professionals (CORE) Michael R. Lindeburg

10) Civil Engineering PE Learning System Kaplan

The following bodies offer online test preps, expert advice.

11) 2010 Mgi Exam readiness for $400 - $700 ( http://www.mgi.org/PROFESSIONAL_ENGINEEREXAM.SHTML_

12) 2010 PPI reference guides and expert help for $725 ( http://ppi2pass.com/ppi/PPIShop?ct=CIVIL&a...7&pr=PZCEFP )

13) 2010 PE Review Exam Prep for $750 ( http://www.pereview.net/ )

14) ASCE exam review for $1995 ( http://www.asce.org/files/pdf/conted/pereviewfall06.pdf )
From what I have heard and experienced myself.. all are good in their own ways- it just depends on how much you want to spend. I have the 6 min solutions for all disciplines, CERM (a must), Goswami's book (ordered it last week- thanks to this thread- it is a GREAT resource), I have the CERM additional things- practice problems etc- they aren't as helpful as the 6min and the NCEES practice test. If you have CERM and Goswami- you have a great start for the AM portion, everything else is just extra help. I did the PPI exam cafe this time (second attempt- bare miss last go around) and it has been worth it. It is my last week's prep and studying- a nice finish to the cramming.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but it's too late in the game now to seek other resources for the exam this Friday. If you've studied and feel prepared, then I would advise not to buy new books right now until you find out if you didn't pass. For those who haven't studied and are looking for last-minute resources to up your odds on passing, then it won't really matter at this point since you're taking a gamble anyway.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam this week!

I would surely recommend this book. I took the exam in April 2010 and was able to manage with this book. It was easy to look up and the reference tables in the book proved to be very handy.

It is a definite- I used it this April on attempt #2- man I wish that I had it at try #1. It was worth its weight in gold

was it more useful than the CERM?
I would recommend having both. This one is more user friendly, but doesn't cover as much as CERM. The examples are better laid out, and I found them to be more similar to what you see on the PE than the CERM examples. You could probably get by with it alone- but they compliment each other really well.

I would recommend having both. This one is more user friendly, but doesn't cover as much as CERM. The examples are better laid out, and I found them to be more similar to what you see on the PE than the CERM examples. You could probably get by with it alone- but they compliment each other really well.

I'm planning to take PE for first time with Structural Depth next Oct . Please help me to decide about which books should I purchase.

So far my research concludes purchasing:

1. NCEES: BOOK PE Civil Sample Questions and Solutions Book

ISBN 978-1-932613-31-5 IS LATEST EDITION, 2008

2. Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM)

By Michel R Lindeburg; ISBN 1591261295

3. AISC STEEL Manual 13th edition

(I have 8th Edition)

4. 2009 Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth McGraw-Hill Professional Indranil Goswami

Please let me know if you have any of these to sell at good price.

Thanks in advance....

I'm planning to take PE for first time with Structural Depth next Oct . Please help me to decide about which books should I purchase.

(I have 8th Edition)

4. 2009 Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth McGraw-Hill Professional Indranil Goswami

Thanks in advance....
I can not imagine taking the structural exam without the AISC manual. Have you gone to ncees.org and looked at the necessary references for the exam? if not, please do!

(I have 8th Edition)

Thanks in advance....
I can not imagine taking the structural exam without the AISC manual. Have you gone to ncees.org and looked at the necessary references for the exam? if not, please do!

From NCEES.org, I could find list of the codes from " Structural specifications" & list of books from "Study materials" .

If I am missing something please send me the link for whole list of referenmces required.

Thanks

Back