What Books are you taking in?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner
Reaction score
I am so far taking in:

CERM

MUTCD

HCM (I still need to find one)

AASHTO Green Book

Cameron

3-Ring Binder (my own combo)

PPI's Quick Ref Guide

PPI's Solutions Manual

Field Engineer's Manual

NCEES Sample Questions (I've copied it, sorted the answers with the problems, put it in a binder, and tabbed the various problem types)

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you taking transpo or WR?
Haven't decided yet.

I know you'll say I'm crazy, but I'm gonna decide while I'm there. I'm gonna check them both out for 5-10 minutes, then pick one.

I've already tried structural and WR, why not Transpo? (I work in both WR and Transpo, BTW)

It came from the Colorado DOT site

'they have the MUTCD on there as well' ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I listed all of the books I was taking in, the bandwidth for this place would be shot.

In tub 1 I have all my CERM, review class notes, and some notebooks containing class notes from each relevant class. This tub should handle 90% of the AM I am thinking.

In tub 2 I have all of my Geotech references for the PM exam. This tub is not quite full so it gets my lunch, desktop computer, stereo, microwave, and dirtbike as well.

Tub 3 is the reference books and last ditch references. I have my WR text book, my intro to ENV text book, the HCM, Geo design, MUTCD (anyone think a non-transpo needs this?), Steel manual, ACI 318, water treatment text, and the list goes on. I don't see using more than a few books from this tub but I would hate to look at a question and say "If I only had my _____ book."

-GT

I am taking pretty much what DVINNY is taking, except for Cameron.

Will be taking a geotech book as well.

I am so far taking in:
CERM

MUTCD

HCM (I still need to find one)

AASHTO Green Book

Cameron

3-Ring Binder (my own combo)

"the other board"'s Quick Ref Guide

"the other board"'s Solutions Manual

NCEES Sample Questions (I've copied it, sorted the answers with the problems, put it in a binder, and tabbed the various problem types)

Any suggestions?
DV, I would suggest taking the Soil Mechanics and Foundation Design books by Braja Das also. You may also need to track down an environmental and water treatment textbook if possible. You never know when you might get some obscure question and the indexes to these books would come in handy.

I forgot to add the Field Engineer's Manual to my list.

It has manning's charts for pipe sizes, flow rate charts, energy-loss solutions charts, hydraulic elements charts (D/d), etc.

if you are going to take transp, defin get the HCM, Roadside Design Guide, & MUTCD, and the 2004 Green Book.

even in you have to buy them!

also download the FE forumula book (I posted it under the links) there is a ton of civil formulas in there

For WR:

CERM

Hydrology and Hydraulics - Gupta

Soils and Foundations - brown book cant remeber author

Metcalf and Eddy

Water Supply pollution and control - Viessman and Hammer

Here's my collection thus far:

HPIM1612x.jpg

HPIM1611x.jpg

Is that photoshopped or is that a real picture of a stolen pencil??????? :"the other board" mole:

I have two enormous tubs...1 has all of my notebooks broken out by subject. I should be able to do 85-90% of the test with this from what I have seen studying. My second tub contains 500 lbs of books - mainly Geotech references and some ENV stuff.

After the exam, I plan to hold an obscure book contest.

Back