• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Advanced Engineering Math

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rppearso

I am currantly enrolled in an advanced engineering math course at the local uni for my continuing education and hopefully the first class in a series to get my second BS in EE. The university of north dakota offers an ABET accredidited BS in 4 disiplines of engineering, I think having a EE would help me out alot more for getting into the defense type jobs. We will see what happens but im definitly not quitting. Obviously if the money is not there I will stay in oil and gas but EE type work is never the less very interesting, but you gotta be able to put gas in the plane and snowmachines too.

I am currantly enrolled in an advanced engineering math course at the local uni for my continuing education and hopefully the first class in a series to get my second BS in EE. The university of north dakota offers an ABET accredidited BS in 4 disiplines of engineering, I think having a EE would help me out alot more for getting into the defense type jobs. We will see what happens but im definitly not quitting. Obviously if the money is not there I will stay in oil and gas but EE type work is never the less very interesting, but you gotta be able to put gas in the plane and snowmachines too.
ummmm....ok...............point?

What kind of job are you looking for with the DoD? Is there a specific position, or are you just trying to find a BS that has the best chance at finding a job? Or are you just throwing darts out there with the hopes you'll hit a $100k job?

I also agree with mechguy, where's your point? What kind of response are you looking for (critisizm - because we all know how well you take that, congratualtions, praise, the offering of a $100k job)?

the intent of this forum was for people to share links / information about getting pdh's / continuing education for their pe licenses.

every now and then

the intent of this forum was for people to share links / information about getting pdh's / continuing education for their pe licenses.
every now and then
It doesn't appear that our good friend rppearso has met any of the intents listed. Seems like another rambling, nonsensical post.

Im confused...how many BS's in EE does one EE need? Sounds like one of those woodchuck condundrums..but I agree that that this post sounds pointless

Im confused...how many BS's in EE does one EE need? Sounds like one of those woodchuck condundrums..but I agree that that this post sounds pointless
Post...what post?????
I guess what im saying is your continuing education can be classes towards a second BS degree which having 2 PE's in this economy is probably not to shabby. Or 2 PE's and a masters or PhD, it definitly cant hurt anything. I like to ramble and complain but people dont need to be rude about it.

What are two PE's going to help? I mean, other than letting an employer know that you passed the same test twice.

^^^ Some states only have 1 PE (like Colorado). Despite the fact that the exam is 100% different for MechE's, Civils, and EE's, the PE is interchangeable. Once you have it, the state only stipulates that you "practice within your expertise."

Having 2 BS's may not get you much either. It all depends on what you bring to your employer. If they need gas, oil AND electric they may pay you more. But if they only need an EE, your chemE degree is worth nada.

My wife has 2 BS's. Her first is in Urban Planning (architecture light). After 3 years out of school and no job prospects in the area we live in, she went back to school to get a nursing BS. (I know the 2 aren't even close to the same field, but EE and ChemE aren't really that close either). Her employer actually pays her $1 more per hour because it's in the company policy to give extra for a second degree.

I graduated with a girl that already had a bs in nursing...plus the bsce she just got...never understood that...I would think that a masters+ would be better than a second bs...I wonder if there is precendent to dual PE's though..like a PE in civil, PE in mech something like that...

I graduated with a girl that already had a bs in nursing...plus the bsce she just got...never understood that...I would think that a masters+ would be better than a second bs...I wonder if there is precendent to dual PE's though..like a PE in civil, PE in mech something like that...
a colleague of mine had three PEs - Mechanical, Civil, and Metallurgical. He did well for himself, because of his work experience, not because of the PEs. In general, one is enough.

Its not really about trying to make more with 2 PE's or 2 BS's its to have more diversification in a floundering economy (chem E is kind of specialized compared to EE). In my state they are actually 2 different stamps and the stamp states your disipline. I would have to kind of sort of start over if I started working in EE but there are alot of very interesting topics in EE as I noted in another thread so the EE would be more for personal interest with a potential to switch later on of course the earning potential needs to be there as well otherwise it will stay as purely a hobbie.

Back