NCEES Pass Rates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If memory serves it would seem as though pass rates are down a bit from last October.

not sure i'll ever understand why pass rates for repeat takers are so low compared to first time takers

Im surprised chemical and nuclear are so high, chemical and nuclear course work is MUCH more difficult than civil, it must be a combination of how many are taking the exam and how much more chemicals and nukes study for the exam. I would expect electrical to be in the same ball park as chemical becasue there course work is also very difficult. Eh whatever I passed lol.

not sure i'll ever understand why pass rates for repeat takers are so low compared to first time takers
It's actually pretty simple, they don't know the material and no amount of repeating the test changes that fact.

Im surprised chemical and nuclear are so high, chemical and nuclear course work is MUCH more difficult than civil, it must be a combination of how many are taking the exam and how much more chemicals and nukes study for the exam. I would expect electrical to be in the same ball park as chemical becasue there course work is also very difficult. Eh whatever I passed lol.
Yeah sure. Civil seems easy to everyone. Why don't you try your hands at the combination of structural engineering, water resources, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, environmental engineering and construction instead of your mass and heat transfer, and you would realize what is what. As far as Nuclear, read Glasstone/Sesonske and you are almost half done with your full time 4 year coursework LOL. Just trying to make a point that grass is always greener on the other side, especially given that thousands of people write Civil, while I think for Chemical or Nuclear, the count hardly reaches 100s.

As a civil myself, and knowing many chemical and electrical pple, I agree: Civil is much easier, and civil students are ...euh...less smart than their chemical and electrical fellas

As a civil myself, and knowing many chemical and electrical pple, I agree: Civil is much easier, and civil students are ...euh...less smart than their chemical and electrical fellas
Well, civil PE is fairly easy during the morning. However, the depth portion can be comparative to any other discipline. Let's not forget that the SEI & SEII are up there in difficulty and those taking these tests have civil engineering degrees.

Perhaps this says as much about you as it does repeat takers?!?

Hey... just kiddin'!

:p

Seriously, you don't think you'll ever understand? Many of those that pass on repeat tests do so because they work really hard to overcome whatever disability (test-taking problems, lack of knowledge, slow to work problems, etc.) that kept them from passing the first time. But many of the repeat takers don't do any hard work and are resigned to their same outcome. Combine that with the fact the "acers" are no longer in the pool (they passed the first time, right?) and it should be clear the rate has to go lower... much lower as it turns out.

Hey... just kiddin'!

Seriously, you don't think you'll ever understand? Many of those that pass on repeat tests do so because they work really hard to overcome whatever disability (test-taking problems, lack of knowledge, slow to work problems, etc.) that kept them from passing the first time. But many of the repeat takers don't do any hard work and are resigned to their same outcome. Combine that with the fact the "acers" are no longer in the pool (they passed the first time, right?) and it should be clear the rate has to go lower... much lower as it turns out.
I think this is very true. I did very well in college but was never out of the exams until time ran out which stresses me out. I knew time was the issue for me on the PE exam so I worked very hard on organization. For some this issue is very had to overcome and some very good engineers can be left out becouse of it.

Hey... just kiddin'!

I think this is very true. I did very well in college but was never out of the exams until time ran out which stresses me out. I knew time was the issue for me on the PE exam so I worked very hard on organization. For some this issue is very had to overcome and some very good engineers can be left out becouse of it.

I do agree with Buick, time is the cutoff for most of the people. I remember I started studying early then started solving then worked very hard to make sure my time is plenty especially if I need to look anything of the NEC code up (Electrical Power)... The only state that posts one pass rate with both first time and repeating exam takers is California. Their pass rates are very low (37-38%). I'm guessing that the repeat takers pull down that percentage.

Hey... just kiddin'!

I do agree with Buick, time is the cutoff for most of the people. I remember I started studying early then started solving then worked very hard to make sure my time is plenty especially if I need to look anything of the NEC code up (Electrical Power)... The only state that posts one pass rate with both first time and repeating exam takers is California. Their pass rates are very low (37-38%). I'm guessing that the repeat takers pull down that percentage.

I look at it this way: The majority of engineers are analytical by nature and would rather spend more time on solving problems to ensure a correct result. Unfortunately, during a test, you are trying to beat the clock and have to be mindful that you only have an average of 6 minutes to solve each problem. Organization is crucially important, but preparation in doing sample problems over and over again is the key. Passing the test doesn't reflect on an engineer's intelligence, it just means that he/she prepared his/her a$$ off!

Back