How many times can one take the exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keatingiv

Reaction score
Hey I am thinking of taking the PE in Massachiusetts in October. im working on the application now. I was reading the Regulations for Massachusetts as well as some of the posts on this site, which have been very informative, if I might add. Anyway, I notices in the MAss regs that an engineer with 4 years experince and a ABET college engineering degree can take the test a Max of 2 times before they are subject to a review nad further education requirements to take the exam a third time. This is typical of Massacbusetts, at least it was with my other licenses, I noticed that most memebers here averaged at least taking the exam two times and some even more thn two times. Considering that I am relitivly rusty, I am guessin that it is going to take me a few times around before I pass. It just reality. I wanted to know if there is another state that offers the exam to which not penalized after failing the exam twice. In other words is there a state or states that allow the candid date to take the exam more than three times. I guess it is my OCD but that is just me. Anyone have any experinece with NY?

It varies from state to state. I failed 3 times in NC. I had to have a review and demonstrate additional preparation to take it the 4th time. I passed 4th time.

Hey I am thinking of taking the PE in Massachiusetts in October. im working on the application now. I was reading the Regulations for Massachusetts as well as some of the posts on this site, which have been very informative, if I might add. Anyway, I notices in the MAss regs that an engineer with 4 years experince and a ABET college engineering degree can take the test a Max of 2 times before they are subject to a review nad further education requirements to take the exam a third time. This is typical of Massacbusetts, at least it was with my other licenses, I noticed that most memebers here averaged at least taking the exam two times and some even more thn two times. Considering that I am relitivly rusty, I am guessin that it is going to take me a few times around before I pass. It just reality. I wanted to know if there is another state that offers the exam to which not penalized after failing the exam twice. In other words is there a state or states that allow the candid date to take the exam more than three times. I guess it is my OCD but that is just me. Anyone have any experinece with NY?
I've taken it four times in CT to date, and will register to take it for the fifth time in April. I don't think NY has a limit to the number of times you can take the exam. I know at least three people who have taken the exam in NY 8+ times (that's right, I wrote that...EIGHT times).

Two of those people stopped studying after the third time I hear, and just decided to wing it until they passed. I tried that the third time I took the exam (after studying my face off for the first two attempts). Needless to say it didn't work. I'm back on the horse and am studying over the next four months.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, this board isn't a good indicator as to how many attempts are needed to take the exam before passing. This is simply because most of the 1 time takers have no reason to stay. I am one of the few 1st timers that have stuck around. Just look at your member number compared to mine and look at how long I've been here. I've only been around for 1yr 8 mos, and there have been over 11k new members.

Then also consider the pass rates as shown on the NCEES website. The pass rate always seems to hover around the 70% range for first time takers.

This being said, I would not worry so much about how many times you need to take the exam, but more on passing the first time. Like the old sports cliche, "Take it one game at a time." If you focus on exam #3, how can you prepare for exam #1?

If you study hard (however you study best) and work your tail off, you stand an excellent chance of passing. I won't guarantee you will pass, as there are several excellent engineers who needed multiple attempts, but just work on this attempt first. Leave your worrying on the # of exams to when you get there.

Last edited:
I've taken it four times in CT to date, and will register to take it for the fifth time in April. I don't think NY has a limit to the number of times you can take the exam. I know at least three people who have taken the exam in NY 8+ times (that's right, I wrote that...EIGHT times).

Two of those people stopped studying after the third time I hear, and just decided to wing it until they passed. I tried that the third time I took the exam (after studying my face off for the first two attempts). Needless to say it didn't work. I'm back on the horse and am studying over the next four months.

Good luck!

Did you have to reapply each time you took the test? Fill out the app, get references? or did you only apply once and retake the exam?

In CO, your application is good for up to 2 years. Once you take an exam, the 2 yr's is reset (2 years from after you took the exam). If you fail, you have 2 years from the date of the previous exam to take it again. The only thing you have to do is re-register (and pay the fee) for the new exam. You don't have to get new references or fill out a new application.

In MN I was good for 4 exams. The 5th attempt(passing) I needed to provide a signature of a tutor(P.E.) or a receipt for a class showing that I was expanding my engineering knowledge in order to receive an ok to take the test. My advice, pass it as soon as you can.

I took the exam in AR: First attempt in April 2008 and second in Oct. 2008. I studied very little for either (Why? I have no legitimate answer). I took a year off and started Studying on August 10 and hit the books and worked as many problems as I could 2 to 3 hours a night, weeknights, and an extra hour or two on weekend days. I stopped on Oct. 16 and went into review mode thru the 21st. I passed!

[SIZE=10pt]Dexman[/SIZE] said it right... Study hard and it will be there for you. Good Luck.

Good luck!

Did you have to reapply each time you took the test? Fill out the app, get references? or did you only apply once and retake the exam?
NO...thank GOD. You just submit your (ahem) fee each time. No need to reapply.

FYI: the new NCEES examinee management system going into affect with the October 2010 exam may make it more difficult for retaking the test a large number of times. Info from their LICENSURE EXCHANGE states the following:

This online system will allow boards to track a candidate’s exam attempts across jurisdictions. This will strengthen exam security and allow boards to better enforce limits on exam attempts.
More info from NCEES LICENSURE EXCHANGE on the new examinee management system: http://bit.ly/cxBdBs

I took the exam in California last time and passed. I don't think there is a limit on how many times you can take the PE exam. I myself took the exam thrice, and passed on the third attempt....

First time when i took the exam, i just decided to give it a shot with out studying for the exam....i took WR depth.....the second time, i had this weird idea of changing my depth portion to transportation thinking it is much easier than WR....i studied for the exam, but during the exam i spent most of the time going through the manuals and handbooks for transportation and traffic....

third time, i finally decided to stick with WR depth and and studied my butt-off....to be honest with you guys, i would suggest concentrate more on the afternoon portion that AM portion....for the AM portion, i didn't study Structures at all...for the AM portion it is more than enough to study the CERM, especially for the WR, Geotech and Transportation....

FYI: the new NCEES examinee management system going into affect with the October 2010 exam may make it more difficult for retaking the test a large number of times. Info from their LICENSURE EXCHANGE states the following:
<B>

This online system will allow boards to track a candidate's exam attempts across jurisdictions. This will strengthen exam security and allow boards to better enforce limits on exam attempts.
</B>More info from NCEES LICENSURE EXCHANGE on the new examinee management system: http://bit.ly/cxBdBs
When I was at the Corps in Jacksonville, there was a guy there that tried to pass it in Florida but didn't pass it before hitting their limit...I think it's 3 in Fla. He just went and took it in Georgia until he finally passed it there. I'm not sure how many tries it took him to get it there.

When I was at the Corps in Jacksonville, there was a guy there that tried to pass it in Florida but didn't pass it before hitting their limit...I think it's 3 in Fla. He just went and took it in Georgia until he finally passed it there. I'm not sure how many tries it took him to get it there.

Considering that I am relitivly rusty, I am guessin that it is going to take me a few times around before I pass. It just reality.
That's not the right attitude. *Anyone* can pass the test on the first time even if everyone doesn't. You need to go in thinking you've done enough to pass - otherwise you're not to be taken seriously. Still, don't get too disappointed if you fail and get back on the horse! Persistence does pay off (as many here will testify).

This online system will allow boards to track a candidate’s exam attempts across jurisdictions. This will strengthen exam security and allow boards to better enforce limits on exam attempts.
More info from NCEES LICENSURE EXCHANGE on the new examinee management system: http://bit.ly/cxBdBs
This will probably go into effect along with the BS +30 rule, I would recommend people pass there PE asap and start taking classes thats what im doing. I think its a good thing that they are tightening the reins on the PE as it will reduce the number of people that have them and make it more valuable and easier to go job hunting. I hope they make this stuff retroactive, if not it will really be a hose job for the younger generation.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell of BS+30 being retroactive. Most board members that vote on model law acceptance would be ineligible under those rules, so the likelihood of it being adopted would be zero.

I hope they make this stuff retroactive, if not it will really be a hose job for the younger generation.
The younger generation didn't have to walk uphill both ways to school in ten feet of snow with no shoes! :eek:ld-025:

I think its a good thing that they are tightening the reins on the PE as it will reduce the number of people that have them and make it more valuable and easier to go job hunting.

More likely, it will just provide an incentive for more employers/industries to get themselves declared exempt. Having the PE doesn't mean much to an employer that doesn't need one.

This will probably go into effect along with the BS +30 rule, I would recommend people pass there PE asap and start taking classes thats what im doing. I think its a good thing that they are tightening the reins on the PE as it will reduce the number of people that have them and make it more valuable and easier to go job hunting. I hope they make this stuff retroactive, if not it will really be a hose job for the younger generation.
This will go into effect *this year*, not whenever BS+30 happens (2020 or so I've heard). As already answered, they chances of it being retroactive are pretty slim.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell of BS+30 being retroactive. Most board members that vote on model law acceptance would be ineligible under those rules, so the likelihood of it being adopted would be zero.
In that case it would just be a burden because older people could still compete in the job market WITH the PE but without the additional burden making it just as hard for young people to compete, I guess it would cut out some competition in there age group but not enough to off set the burden enough to accumulate 30 credits. It would be the equ to a masters degree or a second BS and it would only slightly increase the odds of getting a job probably not even significant enought to notice (ie multi job offers for fatty sums). At least I enjoy what I do so I can live in my hovel and work on engineering problems, at least I have my eye sight which Euler did not have by mid life lol.

Back