NCEES Record

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TranspoVA

Reaction score
A little preemptive on my part as Im still awaiting PE results...but does anybody have any experience with a NCEES record and/or reciprocity and all that good stuff. Im considering a move to a different state and am looking for some opinions/experiences. Thanks

A little preemptive on my part as Im still awaiting PE results...but does anybody have any experience with a NCEES record and/or reciprocity and all that good stuff. Im considering a move to a different state and am looking for some opinions/experiences. Thanks

The NCEES Records deal is actually a good thing. A pain in the ass to go thru but if you do you are in reciprocity heaven. You can be licensed in other states without allthe hassle since the states pull from the same resource, so references and all that good stuff is done once.

There is a discount of 50 bucks if you have been a PE for less than a year.

However, make sure that the state you are moving to enjoys reciprocity with the state you are moving from.

In my past, I got the principal I worked under one of those NCEES records. He was going to be licensed in many states, so it made a lot of sense. It worked out really well, actually. It wasn't all that much more of a pain to do than applying to take the PE exam; it's just more of it.

I'd like to get one as it makes it easy!

I would agree with Ken. I got reciprocity to two other states and didn't do the NCEES record. 10 reference letters later and multiple work experiences I finally got everything straight. The Record allows you to use the same information more than once. It is a major benefit. And major time saver.

I'm getting my record set up now with NCEES. It is a pain but in the end I think it will save a lot of time. I have no idea if I will ever need a license in another state but in this mobile economy, I'm betting I will.

My record app took forever...but that was mostly because my references sucked about getting their forms turned in. The jury is still out on how easy comity applications will be with a Record.

When I had to use my Principal's Record to get licenses in other states, it really was a huge time saver and it worked well. It's like you've got the nod from someone so they make it a lot easier on you most of the time.

Here's a question that I think I know the answer to, but like my PE results...I NEED confirmation:

I applied and took the Oct 09 PE exam in VA, but I live and work in PA. The reason I did this is because PA is more stringent and requires a record of 4 years of experience AFTER passing the FE; whereas, in VA, they count any experience BEFORE passing the FE. I had 2 years experience prior to passing the FE. Therefore, I was elgible to sit for the VA PE, but not for the PA PE.....

My question is....if I pass the Oct 09 VA PE (still $& waiting), can I immediately apply for the PA PE, or must I actually still wait to get that 4 years experience?

My question is....if I pass the Oct 09 VA PE (still $& waiting), can I immediately apply for the PA PE, or must I actually still wait to get that 4 years experience?
It will be entirely up to the PA board members. They could approve you right away, they could make you wait the 4 years, or worst case, they could make you re-take the exam after the 4 years.

Here's a question that I think I know the answer to, but like my PE results...I NEED confirmation:
I applied and took the Oct 09 PE exam in VA, but I live and work in PA. The reason I did this is because PA is more stringent and requires a record of 4 years of experience AFTER passing the FE; whereas, in VA, they count any experience BEFORE passing the FE. I had 2 years experience prior to passing the FE. Therefore, I was elgible to sit for the VA PE, but not for the PA PE.....

You will need to fulfill the requirements of the state that you are seeking comity in. That means having the minimum amount of experience that PA requires. The best way to get answers to these questions is to call the correct state board though. They are the only ones that can say what they will do.

It will be entirely up to the PA board members. They could approve you right away, they could make you wait the 4 years, or worst case, they could make you re-take the exam after the 4 years.
There was a guy on here a while back who 20 years after obtaining his PE tried to transfer to another state and they didn't honor the FE waiver he got from his original state and were making him take the FE exam. I'll try and search for the thread but it sounded bizarre....

Just my understanding - I believe they will require you to get the required experience prior to submitting for reciprocity.

I have a Council Record and it has reciprocity/comity MUCH easier. More and more boards are accepting the record now and the yearly fee is worth it to get multiple licenses.

I've already started working on my NCEES record - since we do work in multiple states, I was told to go ahead and get moving on it ASAP.

The only other thing I would recommend for those applying for licenses in 2nd or 3rd states, is to maintain your original license in good standing (even if you never use it again). I've heard of several instances where reciprocity/comity was denied because the primary license had lapsed.

The only thing about this was you need 5 PEs to provide their names as a reference. Unless you work for a company that is chock full of PEs, aren't you screwed?

The only thing about this was you need 5 PEs to provide their names as a reference. Unless you work for a company that is chock full of PEs, aren't you screwed?
No, because they don't need to be directly familiar with your work product - it should be the same as I wrote about in this post. And your supervisors don't need to be PEs.

Read the thread I linked to...

No, because they don't need to be directly familiar with your work product - it should be the same as I wrote about in this post. And your supervisors don't need to be PEs.

I appreciate your response and I did read the thread. But I do not know 5 PE's and according to the NCEES website:

Submit five references that can reflect the character and diversity of your experience and are personally acquainted with your professional reputation. Your references MUST be currently licensed professional engineers and known as such to you.

100% percent of the people I have worked with and for do not have PEs. CO does not require you work under PEs to obtain a license, they only require that you have sufficient enginering experience.

I appreciate your response and I did read the thread. But I do not know 5 PE's and according to the NCEES website:

Submit five references that can reflect the character and diversity of your experience and are personally acquainted with your professional reputation. Your references MUST be currently licensed professional engineers and known as such to you.

100% percent of the people I have worked with and for do not have PEs. CO does not require you work under PEs to obtain a license, they only require that you have sufficient enginering experience.
It doesn't read "personally acquainted with your professional WORK PRODUCT"... it reads REPUTATION, which means (in theory!) a client, a friend, someone on this board, etc. They just can't be related to you.

Back