beginner's acoustic guitar

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IlliniASU

Engineers don't only drive trains.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My new year's resolution is to learn the guitar. Do you have any recommendations for a decent beginner's acoustic guitar? I'm looking for something in the (less than) $300 range, with tone being of primary importance.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and have a great new year!

Get a standard Fender...Ive been playing for over 10 years...and for the money I think they are the best sounding for the money. I dont play Fender electric guitars but I like their acoustics...Yamahas are nice too but you have to catch them on sale

Ah yes, my future fellow rock star, you should buy the guitar and learn it!

I'm partial to Alvarez and Takamine, but that doesn't really doesn't help you. Rik Emmett's theory is that out of 100 guitars, maybe 10 are any good, and 3 are awesome, no matter what brand you get. I have a Korean twelve string I've been playing for 20 years that still plays great. I've played more than a few +$1000 guitars that I can't say the same for. My current workhorse is mid-priced Alvarez which works just fine out at the pub.

My two general recommendations are to buy what sounds good and also buy the cheapest thing that will meet your requirements. If just learning, look for comfortable action (the height between the string and the fretboard). If you have some ability already, you can look more to sound quality than action. As your skill improves and you if you stick with it, trade up!

My best recommendation is to look at several guitars, especially used, to find something that just feels right. If buying new, be sure to check several different shops.

Watch out for "factory seconds" sold as new. They can be fine, but should also be cheaper. Usually there's some kind of stamp on the label in the sound hole to tell you.

Stay away from the very low end guitars (<100). They work, but don't last, the action goes bad, intonation can be off, they just die over time and you won't enjoy practicing.

Good luck!

Ah yes, my future fellow rock star, you should buy the guitar and learn it!
I'm partial to Alvarez and Takamine, but that doesn't really doesn't help you. Rik Emmett's theory is that out of 100 guitars, maybe 10 are any good, and 3 are awesome, no matter what brand you get. I have a Korean twelve string I've been playing for 20 years that still plays great. I've played more than a few +$1000 guitars that I can't say the same for. My current workhorse is mid-priced Alvarez which works just fine out at the pub.

My two general recommendations are to buy what sounds good and also buy the cheapest thing that will meet your requirements. If just learning, look for comfortable action (the height between the string and the fretboard). If you have some ability already, you can look more to sound quality than action. As your skill improves and you if you stick with it, trade up!

My best recommendation is to look at several guitars, especially used, to find something that just feels right. If buying new, be sure to check several different shops.

Watch out for "factory seconds" sold as new. They can be fine, but should also be cheaper. Usually there's some kind of stamp on the label in the sound hole to tell you.

Stay away from the very low end guitars (<100). They work, but don't last, the action goes bad, intonation can be off, they just die over time and you won't enjoy practicing.

Good luck!
Have you thought about picking one of these bad boys up?

For the record: I am posting this to :poking: Wolverine. I would suggest taking his advice.

I went through this about two years ago end ended up buying a Seagull guitar. It costs a little more than your budget, but I did not have the ability to shop for very many guitars in person, and Seagull has a great reputation, so I got it. Several more serious guitar-playing friends have said they are very impressed with its sound.

My wife ended up stealing it from me, so I haven't hardly played it. She has taken some lessons and now she just uses You-tube instructors and she loves playing it. So I feel like it was a good investment.

Amen to that. I know nothing about guitars but my wife bought me an acoustic Ibanez for $200. The same brand new guitar goes for $400. Mine has a scratch in the top and that is why they sold it as a factory second.

I am not in the same league as Wolve. I play just to relief stress and do not know music at all. I play "by ear". But I think wifey got a good deal. My BIL, who is a heck of a classic guitar player, says that it is great. By the way, he thinks Takamine is the best brand.

I am thinking about taking guitar lessons but maybe I am too old(45) for that.

Don't be this guy.

12824000:jpeg_preview_medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started with a Yamaha FG700S for my first guitar.... and I still have it. Sounds amazing. Was very pleased. I think I paid ~$120 new... but that was years ago. Not sure what they go for now, bought it from some place in Scottsdale.

And I can second the Seagull as well. They make nice stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you're ever too old...but sausage fingers might be a problem! I took guitar lessons for about 2 years, and never really did get good at it.

I think I may buy an acoustic to try again too, so any more advice from any of you on brand, and ways to start learning would interest me too.

Nevr too old to start something! Sign up for lessons, then surprise the wife with a ballad.
Oh...I can play a few ballads. How do you think I married her? :eyebrows: It is just that I would like to be able to read music, go from one scale to another, and to play any kind of rythm.

Right now, if I hear a song I like I try to learn how to play just listening to it. I have to try several tones until I find the right one. It is difficult for me since I know nothing about music. If I know music it is my guess things will be easier. I have no clue if my reasoning is correct.

Two days ago my BIL, who is visiting us with my sister, asked me to take him to a guitar store. He was looking for an acoustic guitar amp. I saw a $3,800 guitar. I would not even think about touching it. Can you imagine that? $3,800 for a guitar... :shakehead:

Oooh, looky here! I can't make it any easier for you than this!

$318 Alvarez Acoustic Guitar MD80 Dreadnought Top Solid Spruce Back & Side Solid Mahogany

http://www.amazon.com/Alvarez-Acoustic-MD8...4721&sr=1-1

$299 Alvarez Acoustic Guitar MD60 Dreadnought Top Solid Cedar Back & Side Solid Mahogany

http://www.amazon.com/Alvarez-Acoustic-PD8...4623&sr=1-1

$258 Alvarez Acoustic Guitar PD85SAV Dreadnought Top Solid Spruce Back & Side Solid Rosewood Back

http://www.amazon.com/Alvarez-Acoustic-PD8...4623&sr=1-1

$244 Alvarez Acoustic Guitar PD91S Dreadnought Top Solid Cedar Back & Side Solid Rosewood Back

http://www.amazon.com/Alvarez-Acoustic-PD9...4590&sr=1-1

$200 Alvarez Acoustic Guitar PD80S Dreadnought Top Solid Spruce Back & Side Solid Mahogany Back

http://www.amazon.com/Alvarez-Acoustic-PD8...4554&sr=8-1

Wow! You guys are amazing!

Thanks for all the advice! I was pretty much a lost sheep until now. I will most likely buy one in the next week or so and start some lessons. I know it's completely different from a wind instrument, but I'm hoping my two years spent as a music performance major will help. All that music theory and aural skills training is going to waste!

And I agree...

You're never too old to start something new.

$3,800 for a guitar is insane. The most I've paid for an instrument was 3k for a Leblanc Opus A clarinet... for orchestral purposes.

Another question... does hand size hinder playing the instrument well? (NC mentioned sausage fingers, which is why I'm thinking about this.) I've got fairly small hands and can barely spread an octave on the piano. :unsure:

I can't wait to get started!

:p10940623:

p.s. DK (or anyone else interested) - I've got a great pdf book about music theory if you want to learn. The file is too large to post here. If you would like, I can email it to you. It's a little over 5MB.

It is just that I would like to be able to read music, go from one scale to another, and to play any kind of rythm.
Noooooo!

Right now, if I hear a song I like I try to learn how to play just listening to it.
Yesssssssss!
Did Jimi Hendrix, high on acid, his guitar screaming from feedback at Montrose, worry about whether he was in the Phrygian or Mixolydian Mode? No!

Did Jimmy Page, blasted on coke after not sleeping for three days, shredding a violin bow against his Les Paul worry whether he was on the major or minor scale? No!

Did John Lennon at age 25, with screaming teenage girls throwing their underwear onstage before passing out, perform his songs out of a music book on a stand? No!

Did Elvis, at 250lbs, in a sequined white jumpsuit with gold sunglasses and a cape, really care if he fretted "Houndog" correctly?

No! I say. They were hacks. And they didn't even have YouTube! Now we have a thousand private teachers to show us any song we want. Well, almost any. I haven't gotten around to posting my acoustic version of Spirit of Radio by Rush, but it's sure to make me a YouTube Certified Guitar Master.

Rock on! And don't miss those Alvarez deals above. They really are pretty good.

Thanks for the input on the guitars, Wolverine. I did purchase the Alvarez PD85SAV! And... I do believe I got the last one. If you click on it now, it says 'unavailable'. Woohoo! She sure looks to be a beauty.

It is just that I would like to be able to read music, go from one scale to another, and to play any kind of rythm.
Noooooo!

Right now, if I hear a song I like I try to learn how to play just listening to it.
Yesssssssss!
Did Jimi Hendrix, high on acid, his guitar screaming from feedback at Montrose, worry about whether he was in the Phrygian or Mixolydian Mode? No!

Did Jimmy Page, blasted on coke after not sleeping for three days, shredding a violin bow against his Les Paul worry whether he was on the major or minor scale? No!

Did John Lennon at age 25, with screaming teenage girls throwing their underwear onstage before passing out, perform his songs out of a music book on a stand? No!

Did Elvis, at 250lbs, in a sequined white jumpsuit with gold sunglasses and a cape, really care if he fretted "Houndog" correctly?

No! I say. They were hacks. And they didn't even have YouTube! Now we have a thousand private teachers to show us any song we want. Well, almost any. I haven't gotten around to posting my acoustic version of Spirit of Radio by Rush, but it's sure to make me a YouTube Certified Guitar Master.

Rock on! And don't miss those Alvarez deals above. They really are pretty good.
Agreed! I learned to play violin in the usual manner when I was a kid, and even after playing for 8 years, I don't feel confident at all playing it without sheet music and an isntructor. Because that's really what they teach you - how to play sheet music under the lead of an instructor.

On the other hand, I bought a concertina two years ago to start learning how to play pirate music for Talk LIke a Pirate Day, and I resolved to learn by ear, and I can play all sorts of stuff on it now, and entertain my drunk friends!

Well...You guys are right. It is never too late to learn.

I have made part of my daily routine to practice with my new guitar for at least an hour before going to bed. Found a web site, that I will not mention here,(no free promo...but if you want to now PM me) and started from zero. The kid is very good and the lessons are free. It has been GREAT. I am learning new things and tricks and playing better than ever. At the beginning it was a shocker since my playing style was so different but, man... I am getting better. Just played a song by Casting Crowns, Voice of Truth, and was super. I always wanted to play that song but had no talent to play it. Now I can. Took me three or four days, I meant it when I said I have no talent, but finally put it together. :th_rockon:

There is more to it. A bonus. After the surgery I had last September my blood pressure went back high. Doc told me that this time it is stress and I need to deal with it since phisically I have no nothing wrong. Guess what...blood pressure has been almost normal these days. Some days 117/72. Looks like the guitar practice is doing something extra. I can only say :bio: and more important thank the good Lord and to my encouraging friends here at EB. :woot: :th_rockon:

Cool! If the lessons are free, why not share the website? Sounds like useful info. If not, can you PM me with the site? My wife would appreciate it.

Back