Well now that the PE is over...what's next???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeysVee

MASTER SPAMMER!
Reaction score
I'm thinking now that I have passed the PE, I may join PMI and take the PMP exam. Has anyone done this or plan to do it? With what I'm doing here at work (mostly project management type stuff) I think it will be relatively easy.

Any thoughts or advice? :juggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking now that I have passed the PE, I may join PMI and take the PMP exam. Has anyone done this or plan to do it? With what I'm doing here at work (mostly project management type stuff) I think it will be relatively easy.
I've been at the PgMP. I'd think successfully completing a project is proof enough that you're "qualified" to manage projects. Program Management is a lot more complicated.

I briefly thought about it, but I need a break for a year or so from any more exams! :)

I always want to have the master degree and PHD after my name.

From what I've seen the PMP designation is only really recognized through DoD type work. I was tempted to get that certification, but it was only because it looks so close to Pimp.

Dex, P.E., PiMP :D

Yeah it's recognized in the DOE world. The company is going to pay for it so I think I'll go the PMP route then I'm going after the LEED certification!

Our Project managers have to have the PMP to manage larger projects. Personally I am sticking to Project Engineering. I have talked to one of our Pm's about the PMP exam as my wife may take it. It is a computer based multiple choice exam where you get your results immediately which is good.

I now have to work on my internal memo which has to be approved by our VP so I can stamp documents. I am in no hurry to do this but I have stated the process. The ASME has the requirements in the code on what you need to be proficient in before you can stamp B&PV specifications. I have written specifications so I am just refreshing my memory on the PE requirements.

Yeah it's recognized in the DOE world. The company is going to pay for it so I think I'll go the PMP route then I'm going after the LEED certification!
Good choices (PMP & LEED) JoeysVee; I took both exams and was successful. If your company will pay for - go for it. . . if you got the PE you will certainly pass both PMP & LEED.

I have a PMP; got it prior to the PE... The PMP exam is very different. You often have to choose between answers to have the most correct, or the most wrong answer. There is no math to speak of.

I suggest that you go to a PMP board and start reviewing the comments and suggestions.

Back