Post your PE failure diagnostic report!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty Lucy

Reaction score
I'm curious what kind of info they give in the diagnostic report if you fail, especially in Wa. state. Anyone want to post theirs??

I was thinking the same thing in 2008 for my first FE exam. I keep waiting and waiting and nobody reply until I got my own diagnostic report in mail. I stop asking because it is a bad luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing in 2008 for my first FE exam. I keep waiting and waiting and nobody reply until I got my own diagnostic report in mail. I stop asking because it is a bad luckk.
I failed in April and I do not think anyone would provide you this info... Once you fail.. most of them are not in any mood to share there information...... I completely understand that... I was in the same mood...

I'd be interested to see one as well, just out of curiosity.

But I can understand why someone would not want to show it.

Since I have take the PE exam 3 times and finally passed on the third time. I will see if I still have my fail letters. I burnt the first one and I dont know what I did with second. If I find it I will post it.

I've seen one. It's a break down of the test, the one I saw was four general categories. I'm not sure if it's all or just the parts you did below a certain percentage on, and a percentage of each section on how you did (31%, 35% etc).

Do a search for 'diagnostic' on this site, and you will find a multitude of previous failure diagnostics, as well as discussions/breakdowns by members of this most excellent board.

Do a search for 'diagnostic' on this site, and you will find a multitude of previous failure diagnostics, as well as discussions/breakdowns by members of this most excellent board.
you've got some brown stuff on your nose...

Last edited by a moderator:
you've got some brown stuff on your nose...
Just trying to boost membership. And I truly believe this board helped me pass!

I'm curious what kind of info they give in the diagnostic report if you fail, especially in Wa. state. Anyone want to post theirs??

No shame here. I've studied my ass off and this is my fourth fail. I work full time, have three kids, and was going to grad school and pregnant during my first two attempts.

My last two attempts I may have been suffering from pure disillusionment.

I will not give up. I've taken it four times in two years and will be registering to take it again this February. Here is my latest diagnostic report:

CT, Civil Exam, Structural PM

AM:

Construction 63

Geotechnical 75

Structural 100

Transportation 25

Water Resources and Environmental 62

PM:

Loadings 80

Analysis 20

Mechanics of Materials 80

Materials 80

Member Design 20

Design Criteria 40

Other Topics 40

I haven't done the math yet as to the number I got right yet. Just got my letter in the mail today and its Christmas...will get into all the details after the Holidays when I give a crap again.

Happy Holidays to all..and if at first (or second or third or fourth...) you don't succeed...TRY TRY AGAIN.

I passed on the third attempt by finally listening to a piece of advice I ignored the second attempt- find your weak areas and study them as if they were the only thing of the test. It looks like you've got a lot of the test really under control, but that 25 in Transpo has to be fixed. Same thing in the afternoon. There are a lot of transportation people on here, myself included, and I know I am more than willing to answer questions.

You have a wonderful attitude!

No shame here. I've studied my ass off and this is my fourth fail. I work full time, have three kids, and was going to grad school and pregnant during my first two attempts.

I will not give up. I've taken it four times in two years and will be registering to take it again this February. Here is my latest diagnostic report:

AM:

Construction 63

Geotechnical 75

Structural 100

Transportation 25

PM:

Loadings 80

Analysis 20

Materials 80

Member Design 20

Design Criteria 40

Other Topics 40

I haven't done the math yet as to the number I got right yet. Just got my letter in the mail today and its Christmas...will get into all the details after the Holidays when I give a crap again.

Happy Holidays to all..and if at first (or second or third or fourth...) you don't succeed...TRY TRY AGAIN.
The drive is commendable. Keep trying.

AM:

Construction 63

Geotechnical 75

Structural 100

Transportation 25

PM:

Loadings 80

Analysis 20

Materials 80

Member Design 20

Design Criteria 40

Other Topics 40

Keep Trying dude.. Based on ur diagnostic, you got 26/40 in AM and 19/40 in PM.. close i would say.. but suggest that you start looking at PM session better.. If Structures is your strong point, then u should be scoring 25/40 atleast, which will take u there..

AM:

Construction 63

Geotechnical 75

Structural 100

Transportation 25

PM:

Loadings 80

Analysis 20

Materials 80

Member Design 20

Design Criteria 40

Other Topics 40

Keep Trying dude.. Based on ur diagnostic, you got 26/40 in AM and 19/40 in PM.. close i would say.. but suggest that you start looking at PM session better.. If Structures is your strong point, then u should be scoring 25/40 atleast, which will take u there..
]

first off i like to say sorry for your fail i think i am with ya there .. on the forth try here.

so how does getting 26/40 in the am and 26/40 in the pm pass?? that still only 63.7% (51/80)?

thought you had to get a 70%..

Again, 70 is scaled score and not percentage. Depending on the difficulty of the exam, a percentage less than or higher than 70 may lead to a scaled score of 70. As far as 52/80 being a passing score, there is a good chance, but don't go for the exact 50-52. Try for 56/80 and if u screw up a couple, you still might make it. So did you get a diagnostic report too dondadda?

As far as 52/80 being a passing score, there is a good chance, but don't go for the exact 50-52. Try for 56/80 and if u screw up a couple, you still might make it.
Not to be scrooge so close to Christmas, but there is NOT a good chance of passing with 52/80. Shooting for 56/80 is about the low water mark. If you're prepared to get 60/80 you'd probably be good to go. There are only a few accounts of 56/80 getting a fail.

Once you get the diagnostic, there's no sense in talking "close". Retool if you're far off, otherwise try-and-try-again!

AM:

Construction 63

Geotechnical 75

Structural 100

Transportation 25

PM:

Loadings 80

Analysis 20

Materials 80

Member Design 20

Design Criteria 40

Other Topics 40

Here is my diagnostic report. I got it last week, I studied for 6weeks before the exam for some 3hrs a day and did not cover everything, absolutely NO construction, timber, CMU at all. It was my first try and I wrote the exam in VA.

AM

Construction 25%

Geotechnical 75%

Structural 100%

Transportation 62%

Water Resources and Environmental 38%

PM

Loadings 40%

Analysis 20%

Mechanics of Materials 80%

Materials 60%

Member Design 60%

Design Criteria 40%

Other Topics 80%

In the letter I received, it is stated that I achieved a 68% score and is below 70% which is the passing score. I am not sure how they came up with the 68% based on the above percentages but I know that I need to start studying immediately for the April exam.

Back