Are Questions on the Civil (environmental) exam the same as on the Environmental PE, book question too

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daywalker

Reaction score
I was just wondering if the questions on the Civil Environmental PE exam are similar to the questions on the Environmental PE exam? Does anyone have any idea?

Also, I have an older copy of the Environmental Reference and Practice problems manual from around 2002. Before the second edition came out. Is this still any good, or should I get the newer manual. Same with the Michael LaGrega: Hazardous and Solid Waste Management book. The one I have is about 15 years old.

Thanks guys!

I am in Water Resources and took the Civil Exam, but my degree is in environmental. I would say very little has changed in the discipline of environmental engineering. It is unlikely that you will get complex question on membrane technology, or anything that is extremely cutting edge. Just be sure you are comfortable with your references, and that they are comprehensive.

I was just wondering if the questions on the Civil Environmental PE exam are similar to the questions on the Environmental PE exam? Does anyone have any idea?
Also, I have an older copy of the Environmental Reference and Practice problems manual from around 2002. Before the second edition came out. Is this still any good, or should I get the newer manual. Same with the Michael LaGrega: Hazardous and Solid Waste Management book. The one I have is about 15 years old.

Thanks guys!
From what I have heard about the all Environmental exam, it is a lot heavier in Environmental Law and Policy (hardly any of that in the CIVIL PM exam). Besides, since April 2009, Environmental has been fused into the Water resources PM, thereby eliminating questions on Air Quality and remediation, Municipal Solid Waste etc. These are all on the 'all environmental' exam. Besides, I think, for obvious reasons, the 'all environmental' exam will get deeper (more specialized theories) into the subject than the CIVIL PM will.

I haven't taken the Environmental PE exam, so my opinion is based on hearsay and comparing the official syllabi.

Thanks guys!
From what I have heard about the all Environmental exam, it is a lot heavier in Environmental Law and Policy (hardly any of that in the CIVIL PM exam). Besides, since April 2009, Environmental has been fused into the Water resources PM, thereby eliminating questions on Air Quality and remediation, Municipal Solid Waste etc. These are all on the 'all environmental' exam. Besides, I think, for obvious reasons, the 'all environmental' exam will get deeper (more specialized theories) into the subject than the CIVIL PM will.

I haven't taken the Environmental PE exam, so my opinion is based on hearsay and comparing the official syllabi.
Concur with Civilized_Naah. Also remember that Environmental exam will require you to answer 100 questions in "Environmental" realm, whereas the Civil-Water Resources exam only has 48 (8 am and 40 pm) questions. So coverage, difficulty, and quantity of questions dealing with topics such as hydraulics, hydrology, water quality, might be similar, but with twice as many questions the remainder are likely to address the areas that Civilized_Naah identified and also allow for additional and more detailed water/wastewater treatment process questions (kinetics, water chemistry, etc.).

Back