question about an EE becoming a PE. Florida (FE exempt?)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavell

Reaction score
I have a question about an electrical engineer that just graduated that wants to become a PE.

he has not taken the FE exam, but is currentlly working under a PE.

he will be doing his masters in electrical engineering while he is working.

he told me that because he will have his masters before he takes the PE exam, he does not have to take the FE exam before the PE exam.

Is this true? Does the experience for the PE have to come AFTER you pass the FE?

I'm just wondering.

Thanks.

Every state is different so he should check out Florida rules. I would be surprised if it was less strict than California. In California you still need one year experience on top of a Masters. You also need the FE unless you have it waived by about 15 years experience. But you can get the experience before you earn the FE.

But check Florida.

I have a question about an electrical engineer that just graduated that wants to become a PE.
he has not taken the FE exam, but is currentlly working under a PE.

he will be doing his masters in electrical engineering while he is working.

he told me that because he will have his masters before he takes the PE exam, he does not have to take the FE exam before the PE exam.

Is this true? Does the experience for the PE have to come AFTER you pass the FE?

I'm just wondering.

Thanks.
In the state of Florida, if you do not have a FE certificate(or whatever they want to call it) you cannot take the PE. There is a waiver because of experience but you have to have several years(over 10). Having the Masters Degree will not make your friend exempt. I have a few co-workers that have Masters Degree and do not have the FE. They still have to take the FE. Maybe he will not have to wait four years to take the PE after obtaining the FE but he does have to take and pass the FE.

I am usually wrong so check with the Florida Board.

he told me that because he will have his masters before he takes the PE exam, he does not have to take the FE exam
I'd bet large amounts of beer this isn't true. A Masters degree (education) is not a substitute for the examination part of the "Education, Experience, Examination" triad.

Back