"Rolling your own"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freon

Reaction score
One of my kids wants to try building a computer himself. Anyone have a recommendation for a source for a PC "kit"?

Freon

One of my kids wants to try building a computer himself. Anyone have a recommendation for a source for a PC "kit"?
Freon
Dig up an old (assembled) computer, take it apart, then give it to your son and tell him to put it back together again.

As far as assembling a new one yourself I've never heard of anywhere that has a do-it-yourself kit. They are so easy to physically assemble that there probably isn't much point to selling a kit like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only real advantage to putting your own computer together is that you get to pick out all the components you want... the research involved with that may be a really good learning opportunity for your kid.

If you're looking for a place to buy PC components, I've had decent luck with both tigerdirect.com and newegg.com.
I second newegg.com.

I've never had anything but positive experiences with them, even when I've had to return items.

I just ordered the components and built myself a new computer over the weekend. All of my parts came from NewEgg as well. You don't really need a kit, although TigerDirect does sell some "barebones" computers. Those kits include (normally) a case, a motherboard, a processor, and sometimes they include RAM and a hard drive. Below is a list of everything that you will need to build a computer.

- Processor (Intel makes the best ones right now, but it usually oscillates between them and AMD)

- Motherboard (Make sure it is compatible with the processor you chose...most processors use different sockets)

- RAM (Make sure it is compatible with the motherboard/processor)

- Video Card

- Hard Drive (make sure it is compatible with the motherboard, i.e. SATA II, IDE, etc.)

- Case (make sure it comes with plenty of fans to keep the components cool)

- Power Supply (sometimes power supplies come with the case)

Usually, all of the cabling you need inside the case will come with the motherboard. Also, make sure that your processor comes with heat sink and fan. If you are replacing a current computer, you don't need a new keyboard, mouse, or monitor, unless you don't like the ones you have now. If they don't have the correct cables for the ports you have on the computer, there are usually adapters you can get to make them work.

As willheldp mentioned, Tigetdirect has DIY kits. Keeping looking for the deals and you may come across really good ones.

I've had good luck with newegg.com and PCConnection.com for individual parts. I built a computer earlier this year and ordered almost all of the parts from mwave.com.

Newegg is a really good site.

I have found that in this ecconomy that Cosco actually will sell a computer at a cost lower than what I could build on newegg.

A long time ago I built one off of components found on pricewatch.com. I don't know how good they are anymore though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick up a bare bones kit from a retailer, many of these come with all the components you need: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...;name=Barebones

Pay attention to the graphics/sound, the last time I did these, you could have a motherboard that came with onboard graphics or sound, and you wouldn't need an additional card. If the motherboard does not have onboard video/sound, you'll have to add a graphics or sound card.

Back