Traffic Signal questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanc06

Reaction score
I am taking the PE in a few weeks in the Transpo depth, and I had heard that there are a lot of signal timing questions on the recent exams. I'm just curious... does anyone know what types of questions are asked? Also, where can I go to get forumlas for all of the timing parameters, because the CERM is a little lacking when it comes to that information. For example, I had a question on the 6 minute solutions that asks to come up with the minimum cycle length based on the Webster's formula... and I can't find that forumla anywhere!

Thanks!

On your first question, no one is allowed to tell you about the type or specifics of the questions that were asked on the exam. We are bound by a written agreement. What I can offer is this, if a subject is on the NCEES published list then it can appear on the test.

Traffic Engineering Handbook will give you the information you are seeking for Traffic Signal timing. Refer to HCM Chapter 16 for Webster's formula.

Please tell me that you have looked at these references beyond "Roadway Design" type questions. If you haven't then I strongly suggest you know what these references contain. Something tells me that you haven't looked at right places when you say that you can't find it anywhere. Consider taking the NCEES listed references to the exam. You WILL need to refer to references beyond CERM for Transportation Depth.

You can also refer to Traffic Engineering textbook by Hoel & Garber for additional information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help. I've definitely been studying all of the required transportation topics, and have been utilizing all of the references, including the HCS and the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook. The traffic signal timing stuff was the only subject that I couldn't really find the forumlas and such that I needed, but I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough in the right places.

Thanks again.

I am taking the PE in a few weeks in the Transpo depth, and I had heard that there are a lot of signal timing questions on the recent exams. I'm just curious... does anyone know what types of questions are asked? Also, where can I go to get forumlas for all of the timing parameters, because the CERM is a little lacking when it comes to that information. For example, I had a question on the 6 minute solutions that asks to come up with the minimum cycle length based on the Webster's formula... and I can't find that forumla anywhere!
Thanks!

Webster method is used to calculate the optimum cycle length for an intersection. You can find the formula on ITE handbook under traffic signals.

Tanya,
Thanks for the help. Vishal is being greedy with the info.
It is you who is taking the test, not me. If you are lazy to go through a reference that you will be using on your test then I don't feel like you have earned any help. Lets just say that I was lazy to look that info for you!!

It is you who is taking the test, not me. If you are lazy to go through a reference that you will be using on your test then I don't feel like you have earned any help. Lets just say that I was lazy to look that info for you!!
Well said!

Let's just say I have better things to do with my life than spend it looking up an equation which I will never see again. You guys really need to get out more.

Good luck anyways.

YOur reply was void of compassion ... You did not need to be so harsh with your reply .

Back