Digital Cameras

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supe

Reaction score
I was able to get my hands on MILF's Canon Rebel XSi this weekend and take some shots in my backyard. After having been accustomed to the "nicer" pocket cameras all my life (Fuji Finepix, a few Kodaks, etc), I was absolutely blown away by that thing. It's awesome to be able to focus so easily, have such a quick shutter response time, play with the color settings, and most importantly, capture motion so easily. In my 8 billion trips to the aquarium, I never got any good pictures because all of the pocket cams were terrible at motion capture.

Does anyone have any experiences on cameras in the $1000 price range? I'm thinking of picking up the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. I can get it for under $800 shipped with the lens kit and a 16GB SDHC card. That sucker is 15.1MP, and supports 1080HD video, although I'm not much of a video taker. Since I don't get much out of my car hobby in the winter months and I travel quite a bit, I'd like to dabble in amateur photography a bit, and I think this would be a good transition piece with room to upgrade by swapping in some good glass.

digital camera reviews
http://www.dpreview.com/

I'm looking for a good price on the Nikon D60

The Nikons had some good features, but what I liked about the Canon for the $ value was higher MP's (normally I wouldn't care, but I'd like to have some of my photos run off as full sized prints and framed), and a faster FPS time which is important to me for catching launches at the drag races. I know the Canons also do exceptionally well in low light conditions even with the factory glass, which is also a plus for me because I hate using a flash unless it's absolutely necessary for some reason.

The Nikons had some good features, but what I liked about the Canon for the $ value was higher MP's (normally I wouldn't care, but I'd like to have some of my photos run off as full sized prints and framed), and a faster FPS time which is important to me for catching launches at the drag races. I know the Canons also do exceptionally well in low light conditions even with the factory glass, which is also a plus for me because I hate using a flash unless it's absolutely necessary for some reason.
An 8" x 10" print at 300 dpi (about the upper limit of current printer technology...you can print higher resolution, but you won't notice any increase in quality) only requires 7.2 megapixels. So unless you are planning on printing poster-sized pictures, anything over that is pretty useless. Paying for megapixels over feature-sets, usability, and optics quality is kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

In addition to dpreview.com mentioned by roadwreck, I recommend reading the in-depth reviews by Ken Rockwell. That guy is a professional photographer, and really seems to know what he is talking about.

An 8" x 10" print at 300 dpi (about the upper limit of current printer technology...you can print higher resolution, but you won't notice any increase in quality) only requires 7.2 megapixels. So unless you are planning on printing poster-sized pictures, anything over that is pretty useless. Paying for megapixels over feature-sets, usability, and optics quality is kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
In addition to dpreview.com mentioned by roadwreck, I recommend reading the in-depth reviews by Ken Rockwell. That guy is a professional photographer, and really seems to know what he is talking about.

Definitely looking at larger than 8x10 photo prints. Will have them run off at a print shop, not an at-home printer. Thanks for the link, time to do a little reading.

The MILF I'm currently dating's two-year-old daughter.
Now I'm *really* confused... what does the mother's two-year-old daughter have to do with this? I'm trying to corrupt this thread, but you're making it creepy!

:dunno:

Now I'm *really* confused... what does the mother's two-year-old daughter have to do with this? I'm trying to corrupt this thread, but you're making it creepy!

You asked "who's mother?" The mother I am dating, is the mother of her two year old daughter. I thought the answer was pretty clear-cut :screwloose:

Supe managed to graduate from 'every mother's nightmare' to 'every daughter's nightmare' :D

We have the Canon 20D - don't remember the specifics in comparison to the Rebel but more feature laden w/ higher range of photographic settings. the rebel is hard to beat price-wise but is more of an everyday consumer SLR vs the so-called pro-sumer category.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought about getting into the dslr game, but I'm not quite ready to put up that kind of money for something that really isn't even a hobby at the time. Maybe once Mini-ble gets a little older and starts to play some sports I'll reconsider.

very true, i use our point-&-shoot Lumix (top-notch Leica optics) probably for 98% of my picture taking needs. Wife & oldest daughter more into the features an SLR affords

Supe managed to graduate from 'every mother's nightmare' to 'every daughter's nightmare' :D
We have the Canon 20D - don't remember the specifics in comparison to the Rebel but more feature laden w/ higher range of photographic settings. the rebel is hard to beat price-wise but is more of an everyday consumer SLR vs the so-called pro-sumer category.

Realistically, that's probably what I'd need. I prefer something closer to point and shoot, rather than spending my lifetime trying to uncover every last feature, mode, and adjustment. Most of the cameras in this range seem to fit the bill for what I'm looking to do.

How dare you not keep up-to-date with Supe's romantic escapades!

How dare you not keep up-to-date with Supe's romantic escapades!

Unfortunately, I think my romantic escapades may take a JR-esque halt and stop at this one. Sadly, my title of Serial Monogamist may have just been reduced to Monogamist.

we recently got a Canon D60 for one of our bridge inspection crews... it's been a good camera so far (8-9 months of daily use)... The battery life in that thing is amazing, I think they went for almost a month before they had to change/recharge batteries...

we recently got a Canon D60 for one of our bridge inspection crews... it's been a good camera so far (8-9 months of daily use)... The battery life in that thing is amazing, I think they went for almost a month before they had to change/recharge batteries...

That's pretty good. Was the D60 the plastic housing or the beefier metal ones? I know the older D60 were supposed to be much more rugged in terms of heft and feel, while newer ones may have gone to the plastic housings, though that may be an X/T series thing.

You asked "who's mother?" The mother I am dating, is the mother of her two year old daughter. I thought the answer was pretty clear-cut :screwloose:
Ok... my bad for not keeping up to date. But you've got to admit: "MILF" and "two-year-old daughter" aren't often used in the same sentence unless you're a catholic priest.

My wife has a Canon Digital Rebel. Absolutely loves that thing. Takes great pics. Digital SLR is the way to go.

As for other cameras out there... dunno, but I don't think you can really go wrong with one of these.

That's pretty good. Was the D60 the plastic housing or the beefier metal ones? I know the older D60 were supposed to be much more rugged in terms of heft and feel, while newer ones may have gone to the plastic housings, though that may be an X/T series thing.

It has a plastic housing... they haven't had any issues with it as of yet... Thankfully the guy notorious for dropping cameras into the rivers/streams retired a few years ago

Back